ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (8/253) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
The acid test will be when somebody who has used only Win XP or 7 installs it or gets a machine with it new and tries it out.
-Arizona Hot (October 02, 2014, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry for mini-necro'ing this post, but once we're past any pre-release bugs, I am right in this category - except some brief Win 7 use at a job, I have mostly only used XP. I am waiting for the final build and hoping my aging hardware can run it.

I'll be interested in the UI usability - I had a chance to dabble with Win 8 on an acquaintance's machine, and it was every bit as irritating as publicized.

TaoPhoenix:
I can cope with change - Windows XP DID NEED and still does need security work - but wholesale change?

Having said that, I'm complaining at the beginning of a project, without having too much interest in MS' future intentions, or what's under the hood.
-fredemeister (October 28, 2014, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Then again, we're all on XP SP3, with x other updates since then. But the original XP was junk! Win2000 was my choice for an earlier older machine while early XP was evolving.

So even if it takes until SP1 to tweak stuff, (notice they started doing that with Win 8), I'm okay if Win 10 needs to evolve.

But they seem to be churning out the OS'es too fast ... it's one reason I stayed here on Windows - I didn't want to deal with being 5 OS'es behind and get "oh look, new apps won't run".

I'm sure MS vowed never to let an OS get entrenched like XP again ... but this "New OS for the New Year (NONY!)" style is really irritating!

MilesAhead:
It occurs to me that the means of distribution of the Windows Ten Technical Preview has the effect of culling those participants who cannot get it to run well enough to do the in place update.

The only ISO made available after the 9841 build is the Enterprise evaluation in which you cannot save any changes.  Hmmmm.

Edit:  Since I have VMWare Player to play with I decided instead of installing Debian based flavors of Linux I'd just try straight Debian.  But that should be in another thread.  :)

Arizona Hot:

Windows 10 news recap Build 9879 screenshots leaked, improved animations, security updates, and more

MilesAhead:
Someone on TenForums posted they had no problem doing a clean install with the 9879 Enterprise ISO.  So I don't understand the stuff about not being able to save changes.  Maybe it's just there to discourage those out of the loop or something.   :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version