ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (5/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
After 24 hours of using Windows 10, as a tablet user, it is an incremental improvement on Windows 8.1.  The biggest improvement is that my Pro 3's WiFi now works without issues. Right now Windows 10 is not a HUGE revolutionary jump that would merit skipping a whole major version number.  That said Microsoft had at least two good reasons for that, one of marketing and one which is technical.  For non touch users or those who follow the myth that every other Windows release will suck (without even giving them a try) Windows 10 will be the tolerable touchable Windows. The real reasons to skip the name Windows 9 are legacy code and marketing.
--- End quote ---

24 hours with Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3

MilesAhead:
@AH I'm glad to hear the WiFi is improved.  I'm curious to see what happens with Glass on the desktops.  Unfortunately I think it was too difficult to program to garner much support even from the development community.

The other thing I'm watching out for is the "blurry font" issue that seems to be related to W8 and later.  It's hard to pin down the cause or even if it's a Laptop only issue.

Arizona Hot:

Mouse lovers may rejoice, Windows 10 is a step back for touch tablets  Digital Trends

The Windows 10 Tech Preview is snooping in on you, just so you know

Free at last After Windows 10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgrades  Computerworld

MilesAhead:
Here's a bug list thread on Windows 10 Forums.

One on the list.. if you expand the Taskbar such as making it double height, after logoff or reboot it goes back to the default single height.  :(

Edit:  I'm running it in VMPlayer.  Drag and drop files from the host OS to W10 guest is a bit flaky.  Also downloads caan be incredibly slow.  Whereas W7 32 and 64 bit Guest OS the downloads and drag and drop copy seem normal.

I tried to set up W10 English x64 but it kept hanging 50% into Configuring Devices.  The 32 bit went on fine.  But installing VMware Tools I had to resort to D:\setup.exe from the Run line after I was logged in.

From what Big Muscle says, the Glass is likely to be limited as it was on W8.  Unless the customization aficionados can provoke some improvement from MS.

Edit2:  The other wrinkle I didn't like, even when logged into the built in administrator account, the dropdown to change Windows Update setting is grayed out.  For now I just disabled the service.

TaoPhoenix:
Free at last After Windows 10, consumers won't pay for updates or upgrades  Computerworld
-Arizona Hot (October 12, 2014, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's a strange article. I don't really care what my browsers do for versions, but OS side, I want it to just be safe and stay put out of the way. Now it sounds like they are mashing service packs and versions together, and I agree, I don't want to shell out $50 a year for my OS!

They were talking about "long term 10 year tracks", and that's more my style - roll up ten years worth of features, but get current security update patches.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version