ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (184/253) > >>

holt:
Basically it is a hack that has become institutionalized along with the side effect that MS now controls your system rather than you.
-Deozaan (December 14, 2016, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sometime in 2017 I may be able to get a new modestly priced pc, and it's got me to wondering about all the rag-chewing when this thread first began airing 37 pages ago about wild reports that Windows 10 abuses the update function and self-installs onto Windows 8 & 7, it regularly searches for and sends copies of all text and pix files to MS without your awareness, knowledge, or permission, and reserves the privilege of monitoring and deleting anything deemed 'infringing', and I forget what else. So what's the score with Windows 10 now? I admit to being so disconnected from this scene, that once I'm finally ready to get a new machine, my current preferred option is to swap my Windows XP Home onto a SSD to install in the new box; or maybe purchase and install Windows XP Professional and rebuild something as close as possible to my current WinXP Home OS. IOW to stick with some form of WinXP. For one thing, I've got some really nice but exclusively WinXP-compatible programs I would hate to sacrifice just for the sake of upgrading to Windows 10 (especially what with all the bad rumors I just named).

fredemeister:
Basically it is a hack that has become institutionalized along with the side effect that MS now controls your system rather than you.
-Deozaan (December 14, 2016, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sometime in 2017 I may be able to get a new modestly priced pc, and it's got me to wondering about all the rag-chewing when this thread first began airing 37 pages ago about wild reports that Windows 10 abuses the update function and self-installs onto Windows 8 & 7, it regularly searches for and sends copies of all text and pix files to MS without your awareness, knowledge, or permission, and reserves the privilege of monitoring and deleting anything deemed 'infringing', and I forget what else. So what's the score with Windows 10 now? I admit to being so disconnected from this scene, that once I'm finally ready to get a new machine, my current preferred option is to swap my Windows XP Home onto a SSD to install in the new box; or maybe purchase and install Windows XP Professional and rebuild something as close as possible to my current WinXP Home OS. IOW to stick with some form of WinXP. For one thing, I've got some really nice but exclusively WinXP-compatible programs I would hate to sacrifice just for the sake of upgrading to Windows 10 (especially what with all the bad rumors I just named).
-holt (December 15, 2016, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

My wife still uses XP SP3 + updates to when they stopped. Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz. Contrary to some "authorities" comments, WinXP will run, and run, and run until the music stops.  I'ts still a viable option.

However, you WILL find issues with newer hardware and limited or no driver support for XP.  In fact for new hardware, think there will be NO drivers available for XP.  That's where your main trouble will be - not in "nasties" or so-called "security leaks" if you're careful about using firewalls etc.

What will happen in 2017-20 who knows, but anticipate more of the same from MS.  You will have to take the step to WinXYX sometime, hardware will outgrow XP within a few years, and you will find it difficult to buy compatible bits and pieces.  But all the best, and may the force be with you.

holt:
Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz.
-fredemeister (December 15, 2016, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting! Mine is an Intel Celeron 2.66ghz. Like you said, 'it runs, and runs, and runs'.
Altho, come to think of it, I wonder if such a vintage OS can take advantage of the newer dual- or quad-core architecture.  8)

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

3 Updates in one month! Do they want Christmas bonuses (or time off after Christmas)? Will we get 5 Updates this month?

fredemeister:
Her pc has been almost error free since it was set up when it was new: it's an IBM P4 2.8ghz.
-fredemeister (December 15, 2016, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
Interesting! Mine is an Intel Celeron 2.66ghz. Like you said, 'it runs, and runs, and runs'.
Altho, come to think of it, I wonder if such a vintage OS can take advantage of the newer dual- or quad-core architecture.  8)
-holt (December 15, 2016, 09:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mine's a Core 2Duo 3ghz, ran well with XP, also W10 runs faster, no lags unless I'm processing big photos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version