ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (176/253) > >>

Deozaan:
When trying to update MediaInfo from 0.7.61 to 0.7.89 today, the update had problems and I had to reinstall the previous version I had. Has anyone here had this problem?
-Arizona Hot (October 15, 2016, 08:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

What is MediaInfo and what does it have to do with Windows 10? This probably belongs in a new thread.

4wd:
When trying to update MediaInfo from 0.7.61 to 0.7.89 today, the update had problems and I had to reinstall the previous version I had. Has anyone here had this problem?
--- End quote ---

What is MediaInfo and what does it have to do with Windows 10? This probably belongs in a new thread.
-Deozaan (October 15, 2016, 11:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

It provides information on media  :)  ie. codecs, bitrate, bit depth, etc, etc

Windows 10 Announced

MediaInfo Lite worked fine for the 7-10 days I had the Anniversary Update installed.

MilesAhead:
When trying to update MediaInfo from 0.7.61 to 0.7.89 today, the update had problems and I had to reinstall the previous version I had. Has anyone here had this problem? 0.7.89 is the latest version and the installer could do both 32-bit and 64-bit installs. I was installing on my 32-bit machine. I tried to install on my 64-bit machine with the installer from SourceForge and had no problems. I downloaded the SourceForge version on my 32-bit machine and it still had problems so I aborted the install, but when I checked the version it said it was the 0.7.89 version and worked fine.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
--- End quote ---

Just for grins I would try installing somewhere other than the Program Files folders.  From Vista onward every Windows release has increased permissions needed to write files there.  I don't know why they get these ideas that break programs.  But many utilities cannot write to their own install folders unless run as administrator.  There is no good reason for it that I know of.

wraith808:
When trying to update MediaInfo from 0.7.61 to 0.7.89 today, the update had problems and I had to reinstall the previous version I had. Has anyone here had this problem? 0.7.89 is the latest version and the installer could do both 32-bit and 64-bit installs. I was installing on my 32-bit machine. I tried to install on my 64-bit machine with the installer from SourceForge and had no problems. I downloaded the SourceForge version on my 32-bit machine and it still had problems so I aborted the install, but when I checked the version it said it was the 0.7.89 version and worked fine.

[ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]   [ Invalid Attachment ]
--- End quote ---

Just for grins I would try installing somewhere other than the Program Files folders.  From Vista onward every Windows release has increased permissions needed to write files there.  I don't know why they get these ideas that break programs.  But many utilities cannot write to their own install folders unless run as administrator.  There is no good reason for it that I know of.

-MilesAhead (October 16, 2016, 06:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

For reasons of security.  It's annoying, but I don't think it's a bad idea, nor did they just do it out of the blue, and there is a way around it, if you follow application development guidelines.

You only install to the Program Files.  There is a program data, where all of the data for the programs should be stored.  You can also use the expedient of installing to the user's profile.

MilesAhead:
You only install to the Program Files.  There is a program data, where all of the data for the programs should be stored.  You can also use the expedient of installing to the user's profile.

-wraith808 (October 16, 2016, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know.  But MS likes to change this stuff around every couple of releases it seems.  I like to set up so that my stuff works the same from XP to W8.  If on a multi-user machine it's a different story.  But for a true single user setup I see no reason not to make a folder C:\Utils like I have been doing for years and make a subfolder for each utility that needs to be in a folder.  For command line stuff I just copy to C:\Utils and have it in the path.  Also it makes it easy to copy shortcuts to other machines.  For example after a custom install my programs in C:\Utils only need to have shortcuts copied on to be back in business.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version