Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • September 28, 2016, 01:48:43 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 134526 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #850 on: September 21, 2016, 03:53:49 PM »
For me, Windows 10 has by far been the operating system that has been the easiest to have. The easiest to install and the easiest to use - the easiest to "live with". I also think it has been easier for both my laptop and for my PC to run Windows 10, rather than Windows 7 (I have never tried Win 8.).

I recommend getblackbird

I can now say that Win 10 by far also has been the easiest to repair! Something went wrong a couple of weeks ago when an update failed big time. I then downloaded the Media Creation Tool from microsoft and took a deep breath and clicked Run. One hour later everything was just fine.

One program had been removed by the installer, and two others needed to reinstall before working properly. But considering that the reinstallation and updating of Windows 10 was so wonderfully easy and that I still have every file and document, I am simply impressed!

Unfortunately, all the MS culprits are back:

Quote from: blackbird 0.9.95 32
Blackbird does not currently support Redstone builds.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:31:59 PM by Curt »

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #851 on: September 21, 2016, 11:54:48 PM »
Microsoft rolls out update to remove 'Get Windows 10' app.jpgWindows 10 Announced

Microsoft rolls out update to remove 'Get Windows 10' app

Anyone here still using Win 7?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #852 on: September 22, 2016, 03:16:27 AM »
Yes, on my work-pc I don't have enough free diskspace to do the upgrade :huh: Think I'll wait until my next system-replacement, next year.
W7 'just works' so as long as it works... And yes, I'm mainly developing software and related tasks on that system 8)

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #853 on: September 22, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »

I had to replace my primary work PC (i7, 32GB RAM) last month because of an intermittent fault on the motherboard. A major consideration in my choice of a replacement was that I could get a system with similar specs on up-to-date hardware with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed instead of Windows 10.

I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.

Many, if not most, large enterprises seem to be taking the same route, which is why the PC makers who sell to them (Lenovo, Dell, HP) all provide the option to get Windows 7 Pro pre-iinstalled on most new business computers through “downgrade rights “ on a Windows 10 Pro license.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #854 on: September 22, 2016, 11:26:19 AM »
I simply don’t have the time now to spend working around Microsoft’s debugging process for Win 10. When Microsoft gets their act together and things stabilize, I will consider upgrading the OS, but not before.

Yup. Well put. Same here.

According to this article,

Microsoft has been criticised over its Windows 10 software by consumer rights group Which?.

The body said it had received hundreds of complaints about the upgrade, including lost files, emails no longer syncing and broken wi-fi and printing.

In some cases, it said, users had had to pay for their computer to be repaired. (...)

Which? surveyed more than 5,500 of its members in June, and said that 12% of the 2,500 who had upgraded to Windows 10 had later reverted to an earlier version.

It could be that there is something wrong with members of Which?, but still, this was supposed to bring Windows closer to consumers, not to piss them off...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • "In my dreams, I always do it right."
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #855 on: September 22, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »

Isn't that the same as for any organization?  I don't ever remember one of my organizations being on the cutting edge of OS upgrades, ever.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #856 on: September 22, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »

Isn't that the same as for any organization?  I don't ever remember one of my organizations being on the cutting edge of OS upgrades, ever.

You're right, there are good business reasons not to be early adopters of OS (i.e. not absorbing the cost of being guinea pigs).

But here I was thinking of my personal desktops and laptops, and Which? is also about consumers, rather than businesses.

And ultimately I think MS wanted to pursue a consumer-targeted strategy of spreading Win10 to compete with Apple and Google, among others.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #857 on: September 23, 2016, 11:33:01 PM »

exjoburger

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #858 on: September 26, 2016, 11:46:24 AM »

Yes, on most of my home PCs and laptops. My one "excuse" is that my work is on Windows 7 (and they are unlikely to upgrade for some time). I also quite like Win 7.

I only upgraded one computer to Windows 10, an oldish Lenovo Thinkpad which I'd previously updated from Vista to Win 7. It runs horribly slow, but I know that is because of the hardware - and it probably could do with a fresh install.

I'm vaguely tempted to update one of my faster machines (both with i5 processors and enough memory and disk space) to Windows 10, but can't decide between my laptop which I mainly use to sync with my iPhone and manage media, or my Primary Desktop. I have a secondary desktop, but that dual boots between Windows XP and Windows 7, and I really need to move the one or two programs off XP onto Windows 7.

exjoburger

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #859 on: September 26, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »
Arizona Hot, thanks for the "What to do when you hate Windows 10" link.  :Thmbsup:

I didn't realize that you could no longer easily go back to a previous version of Windows during the first 31 days (From Point 4 of the article). This will make me think twice before upgrading to Windows 10. Fortunately I keep my OS and Data on separate partitions, so the "Nuclear Option" of returning to Windows 7 is easier.

The comments section of the PC World article also makes interesting reading, it seems very few people are totally happy without having to do some workaround with Windows 10.

Is anyone here really happy with vanilla Windows 10?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #860 on: September 26, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
I didn't realize that you could no longer easily go back to a previous version of Windows during the first 31 days (From Point 4 of the article). This will make me think twice before upgrading to Windows 10. Fortunately I keep my OS and Data on separate partitions, so the "Nuclear Option" of returning to Windows 7 is easier.

Just to clarify, I believe that's refering to the fact that you are now, (as of this date), more than 31 days past the end of the free upgrade period.  Therefore, if you took them up on the free upgrade at this point you can no longer revert to a previous version because that option no longer exists.

However, if you upgrade now you will have 31 days from now to determine if you want to stay with Windows 10, if you don't then you can revert to the previous OS.  But again, once the 31 days expires that option is removed.

I could be wrong, the info in that point is a bit ambiguous.

Just do a drive image backup before embarking upon the upgrade, then you can always replace Windows 10 with your current OS no matter if the 31 days has expired or not.