ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (136/253) > >>

cranioscopical:
Should you use one finger for banking, and a different one for social media?
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2015, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's nothing new, I've been using one finger for Windows for some time now.

MilesAhead:
Should you use one finger for banking, and a different one for social media?
-Stoic Joker (December 01, 2015, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's nothing new, I've been using one finger for Windows for some time now.

-cranioscopical (December 03, 2015, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

If not the one finger, then the three finger salute.  :)

Stoic Joker:
I don't know if there is any reality to this report, but the idea is certainly unpleasant:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/windows-10-s-fall-update-removes-user-installed-applications-without-asking.htm

Windows 10 users are reporting that programs they've installed have disappeared (apparently uninstalled) with the latest Windows 10 Fall update, including one case where the software that AMD's graphics cards depend on (AMD Catalyst Control Center) was uninstalled and replaced with Windows 10 graphics card drivers. The two other programs that have been mentioned as being uninstalled are CPU-Z and Speccy.
--- End quote ---
-Jibz (November 26, 2015, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wandering back to this for a bit, I did notice a bunch of other stuff that had quietly gone missing after the last upgrade. I have a group of small no install utilities I've always kept in C:\Program Files\Mini-Tools really just to keep root C cleaner since they had to go somewhere, and I didn't want them to be scattered about. When I went looking for one of them this weekend, I discovered that the entire Mini-Tools folder was missing/had been skipped during the upgrade. It was still retrievably in the Windows.old folder, but why the upgrade took it upon itself to deem that unworthy of migration is rather perplexing.

Now here's the weird part ... While both are configured identically, my office computer moved the Mini-Tools folder during the upgrade that my home computer skipped.

Shades:
@Stoic:
Do you use the same editions of Windows in your office and home before you upgraded these Windows installations to Windows 10?
If not, (for example: at home you used Windows 7 Home and in your Office Win 8.1 Enterprise) then that could be the reason, as MS tends to use (very) different mindsets between different editions of Windows.

Stoic Joker:
hehe - When I said configured identically, I meant damn near an exact copy.

Both machines:
Use identical security software
Are HP Z400 series workstations
Were Originally Clean loaded with 10 pro
Are 2012 R2 Domain members with tight security
with only minor variations have the same software installed

Hell, the update was even done on the same day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version