ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (56/253) > >>

4wd:
Considering mine left the factory with Linpus installed, it's done fine running both XP and 8.1 Pro.  Might try cramming 7HP on it now just to see if it'll upgrade to 10, (it's back on XP since I wanted the 8.1 licence to use elsewhere).

TaoPhoenix:
I tried that and it still wouldn't show up on my Netbook. Now I'm even more certain that it doesn't meet the minimum requirements.  :'(-Deozaan (June 15, 2015, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Netbooks are dastardly creations that are the bane of every person everywhere who has to support one of them. One of the criteria of manufacturing a netbook seemed to be to make it barely adequate to run the current Microsoft OS of the time and sometimes they didn't even do that.

I wouldn't have any sort of expectations that your netbook will be able to ever run anything except for the OS it left the factory with.
-Innuendo (June 17, 2015, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

In a weird case of "exactly what it says on the tin", (see tv tropes!), that's exactly what it is! Well, that and struggling to run a browser to "check the net".

Because if it were a real computer? They'd call it a laptop computer!

Arizona Hot:
Considering mine left the factory with Linpus installed, it's done fine running both XP and 8.1 Pro.  Might try cramming 7HP on it now just to see if it'll upgrade to 10, (it's back on XP since I wanted the 8.1 licence to use elsewhere).
-4wd (June 17, 2015, 06:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

What a sick OS!

4wd:
Via arstechnica which references this MS blog post.

The Insider program for Windows 10 is changing in the run up to the first stable release. Currently, preview builds are all automatically opted in to the Insider Program (obviously; that's the only way to even get them). When Windows 10 is launched, that changes: at that point, the Insider Program becomes opt-in. To opt in, users will have to have a Microsoft account that's registered with the Insider Program, and they'll have to use that Microsoft account with their PC. This change will take effect in the next public build: without a suitably registered Microsoft account, that build will be upgradable to the final release on July 29, and from there on out be restricted to regular, stable builds.

This does, of course, impose some limitations on the "free" install process. In particular, it's unlikely that build 10130 or the other pre-release will be installable and activatable forever, so the window for getting onto the train is limited.
--- End quote ---

Apparently, even if you have Vista or XP now, you have the chance to upgrade to 10 for free provided you're a member of the Windows Insider program and install the latest Preview build before the deadline, (so possibly ~1 month to opt in).

Deozaan:
None of that makes sense to me.

The Insider Program is already opt-in. :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version