ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 Announced

<< < (201/253) > >>

Arizona Hot:
Does anyone here use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

I have two big features in Windows 10 that I love it for when compared to Windows 7. These two features are Virtual Desktops and the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Virtual Desktops
This is a feature that allows you to have multiple workspaces to help keep your windows organised.
For instance, if you have loads of windows open and want to get a fresh screen without moving and reordering all your windows around, you can just open up a new desktop.

--- End quote ---

What are some of your favorite things about Windows 10 that you see as an actual improvement and simply could not exist in Windows Vista or Windows 7?

I’ve done a bit or research on this. It looks like the update mechanism is having issues connecting to the servers.

1)make sure you don’t have proxy connections turned on. Use the following steps to ensure this isn’t the case;
a. Press Windows + R, type inetcpl.cpl.
b. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.
c. Uncheck the box next to “proxy server for your LAN”.
d. Click OK to save and close the window.
--- End quote ---

How do I fix Error 0x80d05001 while installing updates on Windows 10?

Shades:
Does anyone here use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?
-Arizona Hot (January 02, 2018, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not me. Currently I manage 8 (non-virtual) Linux servers, 1 FreeBSD server and 3 Windows servers (and at least 20 Windows workstations and a set of MacBook Pro machines). One of the Windows servers I use as daily driver and I use Putty and/or SmarTTY on Windows to manage the non-Windows machines.  If I have a task for a Linux machine, I'll use a Linux machine to do it with.

WSL has no other real use than for a developer who wants to keep all his/her development on one single machine. Nothing wrong with that, but I like to use the PC's I have at my disposal to do stuff. Because one machine is doing one thing, another computer can be instructed to do other/different stuff. I like to think I am more effective that way.

Still, if WSL works for you, then great. To me it is a solution in search of a problem.

Virtual Desktops are also mentioned in the Quora question. VDs can be used effectively if you only have one screen at your disposal. But once I got a second monitor, I never looked back at VDs. Not even once. Swapping between VDs can and will break your concentration. And you will always encounter one tool missing in your currently open VD and if you need to swap between VDs because of that...meh, the second monitor made me much more productive. Again, that is something I like to think. Never actually measured this.

Arizona Hot:
Windows 10 Announced

Microsoft ditches Windows 10 S in favor of new ‘S Mode’

tomos:
Microsoft ditches Windows 10 S in favor of new ‘S Mode’
-Arizona Hot (February 04, 2018, 02:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

sounds like a bit of a mess
Microsoft is planning a new “S Mode” for Windows 10 Home, Enterprise, and Pro.

This S Mode will essentially lock down any copy of Windows 10 so it can only run apps from the Microsoft Store, and does exactly what the dedicated Windows 10 S operating system was built to do. Thurrott reports that 60 percent of Windows 10 S users have remained on the operating system, instead of switching to Windows 10 Pro free of charge. 60 percent of those who do switch reportedly do so within the first 24 hours of owning a Windows 10 S device, and if they don’t switch in a week then 83 percent stick with 10 S.
"Windows 10 Home will get the new S Mode"

While it’s surprising that Windows users are happy sticking to just Microsoft Store apps, it’s clear the company’s new strategy will mean even more users could receive devices with S Mode enabled. Microsoft is reportedly planning to allow Windows 10 Home users to disable the S Mode free of charge, but Windows 10 Pro customers with S Mode enabled on their device will be forced to pay $49 to get access to a full version of Windows 10 Pro.

It’s a risky strategy that will need to be explained clearly from both Microsoft and its various PC partners to avoid consumer confusion. While the Home versions appear to have a free switch path, the charge for the Pro versions could irritate consumers who opt for more premium devices. It all depends whether OEMs ship devices with S Mode enabled.
--- End quote ---

Sort-of off-topic:
wonder if successful would we get windows phones again (I like mine but the lack of apps can be a pain)

Shades:
Sort-of off-topic:
wonder if successful would we get windows phones again (I like mine but the lack of apps can be a pain)
-tomos (February 04, 2018, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here is to hoping. After being exposed to Android for a while now, I would be more than happy to get a new Windows phone again.

[rant]
Really, some UI steps that Google puts into Android are an abomination. And is it really that difficult for Google to remove 1 device from your list of approved devices? Instead you must eliminate all devices and re-register each device one by one....ff-ing amazing job, Google! I wonder how many people are bothered enough to do this. But it would be a safe assumption to state that most people just say: 'F... this' and don't do anything. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of your "security".

Seriously, the person(s) who thought this to be a good UI design, deserve to be taken behind the shed (and their final thought to be: "Aha, so that is how a functional UI works on the device that is putting this bullet in my head").

[/rant]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version