topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • January 23, 2018, 09:50 PM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 Announced  (Read 248132 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #1000 on: January 02, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Does anyone here use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

I have two big features in Windows 10 that I love it for when compared to Windows 7. These two features are Virtual Desktops and the Windows Subsystem for Linux.

Virtual Desktops
This is a feature that allows you to have multiple workspaces to help keep your windows organised.
For instance, if you have loads of windows open and want to get a fresh screen without moving and reordering all your windows around, you can just open up a new desktop.

What are some of your favorite things about Windows 10 that you see as an actual improvement and simply could not exist in Windows Vista or Windows 7?

I’ve done a bit or research on this. It looks like the update mechanism is having issues connecting to the servers.

1)make sure you don’t have proxy connections turned on. Use the following steps to ensure this isn’t the case;
a. Press Windows + R, type inetcpl.cpl.
b. Click the Connections tab, and then click LAN settings.
c. Uncheck the box next to “proxy server for your LAN”.
d. Click OK to save and close the window.

How do I fix Error 0x80d05001 while installing updates on Windows 10?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:57 PM by Arizona Hot »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 Announced
« Reply #1001 on: January 02, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Does anyone here use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)?

Not me. Currently I manage 8 (non-virtual) Linux servers, 1 FreeBSD server and 3 Windows servers (and at least 20 Windows workstations and a set of MacBook Pro machines). One of the Windows servers I use as daily driver and I use Putty and/or SmarTTY on Windows to manage the non-Windows machines.  If I have a task for a Linux machine, I'll use a Linux machine to do it with.

WSL has no other real use than for a developer who wants to keep all his/her development on one single machine. Nothing wrong with that, but I like to use the PC's I have at my disposal to do stuff. Because one machine is doing one thing, another computer can be instructed to do other/different stuff. I like to think I am more effective that way.

Still, if WSL works for you, then great. To me it is a solution in search of a problem.

Virtual Desktops are also mentioned in the Quora question. VDs can be used effectively if you only have one screen at your disposal. But once I got a second monitor, I never looked back at VDs. Not even once. Swapping between VDs can and will break your concentration. And you will always encounter one tool missing in your currently open VD and if you need to swap between VDs because of that...meh, the second monitor made me much more productive. Again, that is something I like to think. Never actually measured this.