topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automated web launcher  (Read 5580 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Automated web launcher
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Do you know about a specific program to control the webs i want to launch everyday ?

By example :
Launch several webs on tuesday
launch several webs when I open the browser on tuesday
launch several webs whtn i open the browser at hour 09.00 or after and before 12.00 hours on tuesday
launch predefined webs if i open the browser the first week of january
etc etc

Is it possible ?

Best Regards
 :-*

AzureToad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automated web launcher
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:20 AM »
I use Morning Coffee with FireFox.  I click on the button to open URLs I want to see on that particular day of the week - links for Friday are different than those on Thursday, etc. It works really well, easy to use.
However, it doesn't offer the granularity you're looking for.  You can't specify time of day, nor day of the year - only Sunday through Saturday.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:19 AM »
You can make as many Tab Groups as you want with Tab Grenade

Unfortunately you cannot name the groups.  The Tab Grenade tab shows them with the number of tabs in each and when the tab group was created.  The other minor quibble is if you press the Tab Grenade Button it creates a tab group even if only one tab is showing.  I feel the need to delete this before selecting the tab group I want to open.  Otherwise I end up with a bunch of singletons down the page.

It is simple and fun to use though.  I use it on Cyberfox all the time.

Edit:  If the Tab Groups could be named then of course you could name them when you want to open them.  Not totally automatic but if you know you are going to use a FF based browser anyway it would be pretty close.  Perhaps you should request the author add tab group naming.  It seems a logical enhancement.

@AT Morning Coffee looks interesting also.  I like that single tabs may be added to existing groups.  Tab Grenade basically just gathers the tab set even if a singleton.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:28 AM by MilesAhead »

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 05:20 PM »
I would an independent solution from the browsers. Use with any browser. Not only one.

And more powerful.
I think a complicated bat can make this, and even with the scheduler of windows....

Exist a more general software for this purpose and oriented to this target ?

Best Regards

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 06:18 PM »
The difficult part is the requirement to detect any browser launch, then check date and time against your rule set.  It would be much easier to run a program that launched any browser you want with the set of urls.

Note that as far as I know IE still has the bug where it will open multiple urls from the command line in multiple windows even if set to open urls in tabs. To get IE to work correctly the program would have to use the IE ActiveXControl.

I know there are some scripts on ahk forum that use it.  Have you taken a look there?

http://www.autohotke...rd/forum/49-scripts/

http://ahkscript.org...558401f8a4dd043e2244

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 06:46 PM »
The difficult part is the requirement to detect any browser launch, then check date and time against your rule set.  It would be much easier to run a program that launched any browser you want with the set of urls.

Note that as far as I know IE still has the bug where it will open multiple urls from the command line in multiple windows even if set to open urls in tabs. To get IE to work correctly the program would have to use the IE ActiveXControl.

I know there are some scripts on ahk forum that use it.  Have you taken a look there?

http://www.autohotke...rd/forum/49-scripts/

http://ahkscript.org...558401f8a4dd043e2244

Running to take a good look

Understood I have to use a script to launche the browser and not in reverse....

:-*

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 06:12 AM »
There's a macro program included with BrowserBunch, BBSS.exe.  When the tabs you want are in a browser, make the browser the active window anf hit the hotkey.  It saves all the urls to a text file.  You can name it anything with a .txt extension, such as '
tuesdayUrls.txt or whatever.  In W7 and later you can pin BrowserBunch to the Taskbar and pin these text session files to it.  To launch the one you want, right click BrowserBunch Taskbar icon and click the file.

I think there's also a FF extension that saves the addresses of all open tabs to a text file one url per line.  That may also work with BrowserBunch.  I forget the name of the AddOn at the moment.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 08:17 AM »
There's a macro program included with BrowserBunch, BBSS.exe.  When the tabs you want are in a browser, make the browser the active window anf hit the hotkey.  It saves all the urls to a text file.  You can name it anything with a .txt extension, such as '
tuesdayUrls.txt or whatever.  In W7 and later you can pin BrowserBunch to the Taskbar and pin these text session files to it.  To launch the one you want, right click BrowserBunch Taskbar icon and click the file.

I think there's also a FF extension that saves the addresses of all open tabs to a text file one url per line.  That may also work with BrowserBunch.  I forget the name of the AddOn at the moment.

Thanks Miles. Seems BrowserBunch can use any browser. So is more interesting, initially , than any addon for a single browser

Best Regards

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:59 AM »
The filter input box that comes up may seem annoying but say I want to open a tab file with the default browser.  I just hit Enter twice(assuming you OKd when asked to set the default browser as the leftmost default button.)  For that reason I didn't make an option to bypass it.