topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: GOG announces DRM-Free game client: GOG Galaxy  (Read 23100 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
GOG announces DRM-Free game client: GOG Galaxy
« on: June 09, 2014, 04:30 AM »
GOG.com is coming up with a DRM-Free client called GOG Galaxy, which is completely optional and will be primarily be used for game updates and keeping touch with your friends.

http://www.gog.com/galaxy

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: GOG announces DRM-Free game client: GOG Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:12 AM »
... another one?  This is past ridiculous.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:58 AM »
Sounds promising.

I like the idea behind GOG's DRM-free games, but admittedly the convenience of Steam auto-updating my games for me and keeping everything in one easy to access location has often gotten me to buy games on both Steam and GOG. While I think Steam is the best client at the moment, I've had a lot of complaints about how it works over the years, so I'd be pretty happy to be able to eventually phase it out with something like GOG Galaxy.

Especially considering one of the points they made in their announcement video: I have quite a library with Steam, and all those games are locked to my Steam account. That's going to make migration to another client painful, and will require me to always have Steam installed as long as I want to play those games. It sounds as though things would not be as painful if my game library was with GOG Galaxy.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:48 PM »
The nice thing about GOG's client is that if you don't want to mess with it you don't have to.

Unlike most other gaming clients, you'll still be able to play the games you bought on GOG.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:23 PM »
The nice thing about GOG's client is that if you don't want to mess with it you don't have to.

Unlike most other gaming clients, you'll still be able to play the games you bought on GOG.

Are we sure about that?  If that becomes their preferred way of downloading then will you have another choice?  And yes, I do understand that from the DRM standpoint- but that's the purpose of going there to begin with.

I'm just tired of all of the clients.  ARC.  Ubi.  Origin.  Gamestop (whatever that one is now). Direct2Drive/Gamefly (which also has DRM free stuff).  Green Man Gaming.  GamersGate.  Trion is making their own.  Raptr. etc, etc, etc.

I understand the concept behind wanting to make your own platform and make all of your products accessible from it.  I understand not having to use things.  But at what point is enough, enough?

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 04:34 PM »
... another one?  This is past ridiculous.

Are we sure about that?  If that becomes their preferred way of downloading then will you have another choice?

Yes. They have clearly stated that the download via your web account will remain.

What will not be moving forward is the current GOG Downloader (which I have never used).  They won't be improving or offering that anymore once Galaxy is released.  If you're currently using the downloader, I'm not sure whether or not it will continue to work.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 06:13 PM »
It sounds to me as though Galaxy will work a lot like the GOG Downloader but with social things optionally included.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:58 PM »
Yes. They have clearly stated that the download via your web account will remain.

They clearly stated a lot of other things... and they were true until they weren't.  :-\

It sounds to me as though Galaxy will work a lot like the GOG Downloader but with social things optionally included.

See, that's where it gets sticky.  The downloader was useful and straight to the point.  I could go to my account and download a lot of things without actually having to do anything or be on the computer, and it would resume, and it *just* downloaded the files.

I need nor want anything else, including a portal for launch or anything like that.  And that's what *everyone* is trying to give me.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Get Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 for helping beta test GOG Galaxy.

Offer ends Friday, Oct 17.

http://www.gog.com/galaxy