ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Win9 will be FREE!

<< < (8/16) > >>

Carol Haynes:
OT - out of curiosity why is anyone still using OpenOffice at all? Barely developed these days and seems to be the only thing that uses Java anymore (and that in itself is a good reason not to use OO).

Why not jump to LibreOffice which is much better and doesn't rely on Java and is actively being developed?

As for MS Office - 2007, 2010 will be the last versions I use from choice simply because you have a DVD and can install on desktop and laptop (or 3 PCs fro the Home and Student version). No interest in Office 365, and if Windows becomes a subscription service I will decamp to Linux (or even Apple - except I can't afford that) when end of life on the final none subscription version happens. Having said that manufacturers are already struggling - trying to sell subscription based products with their hardware is just going to make sales even harder. So many of the big names are already pulling out of PC and laptop sales in Europe (including Sony, Toshiba and Samsung) - it is only going to get worse.

40hz:
Why not jump to LibreOffice which is much better and doesn't rely on Java and is actively being developed?
-Carol Haynes (October 01, 2014, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

This! :Thmbsup:

Or Softmaker's FreeOffice if you don't want a FOSS product. Linux version available too for that day when and if you decide to walk away from Windows.

WPS Office Free 2014 is another viable alternative. The Windows version is mature. Kingsoft has been around for years. Their Linux version is still officially an alpha, but it is available for public download. Links to do that can be found here. FWIW I use it ( the deb version) regularly and it's a very stable alpha. I've had no surprises at all in a year+ of regular use.

YMMV 8) :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
-Carol Haynes (October 01, 2014, 10:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

That was what I tried.  It was still slow, at least in my experience.

wraith808:
This is hilarious...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows-microsoft-skips-too-good-windows-9-jumps-to-windows-10.html

tomos:
This is hilarious...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-windows-microsoft-skips-too-good-windows-9-jumps-to-windows-10.html
-wraith808 (October 01, 2014, 11:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

haha very good :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version