topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: June 4 Podcast  (Read 15757 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
June 4 Podcast
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:50 PM »
Just finished listening and didn't see an existing topic.

That was fun.  Superboyac's rants/ramblings are entertaining.  The forum nickname origins were fun too.  Overall it was fun to listen to.  I like the programming blues tune too, although I had a hard time hearing it.

I always want to go record a snippet for the next show, but I don't have a mic installed on my system.  The mic I have is way down it the basement, and that would mean leaving my PC.  :o 

One of these days....
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: June 4 Podcast
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:58 PM »
yeah it was hard to hear cuz we have crappy equipment. Sorry :(
But here are the lyrics in case you were wondering what they were....

Hey! woncha come on over here now

there is something i need to say..... yeah yeah

Crazy how people are talkin bout ya... mmhmmm

Saying your better than allllll the rest,.oh yeah...yeahhhh

Come on over here now baby....show me what you got ...

show me allllllllllll your functions baby..... and utilize my form.... yah

There is no other widget.... no no

That can make me feel the way you do...

you make me wanna program....in perl and c++ toooo yeah yeah...

come on over here now widget.....

and let me use you in my code...yeah yeah...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:59 PM »
hahahahahahaa
brilliant work della. it's a great song.  :up: :up: :up: :up:
welcome to the site.

ps. great work on the guitar and vocals, gothic!

Gothi[c]

• DC Server Admin
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • linkerror
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Well, I got to try out something new.
A multi track recording thingie for linux.

http://ardour.org/

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Dell[a] - Thanks for positng the lyrics... next time I can sing along  ;D

Love your avatar BTW, just need to find Buttercup and Blossum and we'll have the whole team.  ;) 
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 03:36 AM »
Great Podcast all around!

What was with the 30 seconds of nothingness at the end? I was almost expecting a final comment by Shawn in there after he was dotted around in the podcast so much.

I still get a kick out of his definition of Shareware. I look forward to next month's.

EDIT: And I agree with Superboyac in welcoming JavaJones! I don't think I've replied to anything you've said but I have found all of your comments to be very informative and well thought out. You make a lot of sense and I value your opinion. Welcome to DC!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 03:55 AM by Deozaan »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 05:40 AM »
as for blank space at end and too much music at begining, and some random music in the middle of gothic's interview, and the volume changes throughout, those are all carefully planned and inserted - don't believe anyone who tells you i am just a bad postcast audio editor..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 05:41 AM »
ps.
nudone after some long discussion on the irc channel we all agreed we love your accent, but we are refusing to stop pronouncing your forum name as "new-doan".

-signed,
 irc channel members

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 05:43 AM »
correction -
it seems there is now an internal fracture within the irc channel regarding new-doan vs. new-dun..

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 06:04 AM »
I always thought it was nude-one !! I just assumed he had something he was proud of (sorry did I really say that)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:11 AM »
EhEh... Not being english, i tend to pronounce nicks in a strange way (specially when not even english people pronounce them right :P )
See the attached .wav for the way i pronounce it.
Probably it doesn't make any sense, right? I also though it didn't, but couldn't come up with a better way to say it.
Thanks nudone for participating in the podcast, great submission!  :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 07:13 AM »
I always thought it was nude-one !! I just assumed he had something he was proud of (sorry did I really say that)
-Carol Haynes (June 05, 2006, 06:04 AM)

ah, yes, i forgot about 'nude-one'.

i once spent a bit of time in an irc channel i had created with a friend - it was called 'nudsville'.

there were only ever two of us in it but once a stranger arrived thinking that 'nudsville' was an irc channel for people that appreciated nudism (naturism).

it seemed such a shame to tell him that 'nudsville' wasn't about being naked so i pretended that i was indeed sat infront of the computer without any clothes on. this led to an interesting conversation about how our wifes didn't appreciated nudism (i don't have a wife but it made the story more sympathetic). anyway, he left the irc channel feeling like he had met a kindred spirit out there in cyberspace i'm sure (unless he was pretending too, of course).

anyone wondering why 'nud' isn't 'nudd' as that would make it more obvious as to how to pronounce it - it's simply because i find 'nud' with one 'd' more esthetically pleasing than the more ugly 'dd'. yes, that's the kind of picky swine i am.

unfortunately i'm at work at the moment so can't listend to jgpaiva's version of 'nudone'.

i'd like to ask, though, how do you pronounce 'jgpaiva' ??? i have often wondered.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 07:15 AM by nudone »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 08:01 AM »
Ok.. I've just finished listening to the podcast, and i have to say it's a very good job!
The nick origins were very interesting (javajones: my nick origin is similar to yours, i also had a bunch of kidie nicknames, like "silencer", "noah", and a bunch of strange stuff, but then. decided to keep it simple)
The nuclear shelter/tin-can phone interview was very interesting too, i always wondered how we'd communicate in a nuclear attack situation ;)
It was also interesting to know how the images of cody are made!

I'm just sorry i couldn't understand the programming blues, they looked interesting.

Great work people!  :Thmbsup:

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 08:55 AM »
i'd like to ask, though, how do you pronounce 'jgpaiva' ??? i have often wondered.
Well... I really didn't think much, when i joined an english forum using this nickname. It's an acronym for my full name (the first is "João" and the last is "Paiva"), so, it's understandable nobody can read it. It should have been something like 'JGP'.
The right way to spell it in english would be 'J' 'G' 'Paiva'. But 'Paiva' sounds weird in english.
I've attached a way to say the nick and my first name (just for the fun, because people usually can't pronounce it ;) ) in portuguese.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:00 AM by jgpaiva »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 09:05 AM »
The right way to spell it in english would be 'J' 'G' 'Paiva'

ah, good. that's what i thought it would be.

still at work so i still can't listen to anything, can't wait to get home and listent to the podcast...

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 02:22 PM »
just finished listening to the podcast. marvellous.

i must say it never ceases to amaze me. hearing the DC members is like opening up another universe inside my little reality bubble.

i've mentioned this to mouser before regarding obtaining software over the internet but it kind of applies to conversing through chat programs and forums too - it often feels to me like i'm simply communicating with my computer. it's easy to forget that there are 'real' people at the other end of software downloads and forum posts (maybe i have a mental problem) but hearing your voices provides a big reality jolt to make me realise just how wonderful all this technology and ability to communicate through it is.

as for the pronunciation of my name...

it seems there is now an internal fracture within the irc channel regarding new-doan vs. new-dun..

to be honest - 'nud one' is the least glamorous sounding so i'm very happy to respond to any other pronunciation.

(i thought the sound quality on the podcast was quite surreal at times - not a bad thing as it adds atmosphere and that all important gritty realism feel.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 02:28 PM by nudone »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 03:11 PM »
Haha...nudone, if you don't mind, I'm going to use your pattern and change my name to "nakedone", but it's to be pronounced "nah-kee-dahn".

But I do enjoy being naked.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 04:47 PM »
well, i have to admit i was pronouncing your name as 'super-boy-yack' in my head until i heard the correct way of saying it on the podcast.

but what should i do now. i've been training myself to say 'super-boy-A-C' but maybe it's more fun when everyone has more than one way of saying their name. hey, aren't we complex enough people to have different names?

i was also in the habit of saying jgpaiva's name as 'jeg-pay-va' even though i assumed it must be 'jay-gee-pay-va'.

at least, now i know i should be 'jay-gee-pie-va'.

jgpaiva, i think your correct native pronunciation of your name it fantastic - i've not heard anything like it i have to admit.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 05:00 PM »
well, i have to admit i was pronouncing your name as 'super-boy-yack' in my head until i heard the correct way of saying it on the podcast.

but what should i do now. i've been training myself to say 'super-boy-A-C' but maybe it's more fun when everyone has more than one way of saying their name. hey, aren't we complex enough people to have different names?

i was also in the habit of saying jgpaiva's name as 'jeg-pay-va' even though i assumed it must be 'jay-gee-pay-va'.

at least, now i know i should be 'jay-gee-pie-va'.

jgpaiva, i think your correct native pronunciation of your name it fantastic - i've not heard anything like it i have to admit.
HAahaha!  I never thought of that!  Too funny.  I'm going to introduce myself as that on my next podcast!

Dell[a]

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 07:45 PM »
you guys are silly....<giggle>

Can you believe that my orginal nickname ever was Sykadela...
pronounced "psycha-della"

I just got lazy over the years, now I am just Della...

oh well hehe

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 09:45 PM »
Hehe, just finished a listen through of the whole thing. Lots of fun. :) Thanks for the welcome! I am well-known for my long posts on every forum and mailing list I subscribe to, so no surprise there. Just let me know if it gets excessive. ;) I *do* try to cut things down sometimes but if I feel like what I've written is reasonably content rich I won't bother, lol.

Anyway, yeah audio quality is a bit inconsistent, but this is really hard to regulate. Everyone go get good mics! :D Plus as someone mentioned the variable audio quality imparts a unique quality to each segment that is kind of fun in itself. I especially liked the interview bits. I also *love* the lyrics to the programmer's blues, hehe.

- Oshyan

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 07:29 AM »
. . . I always thought nudone was pretending (or not pretending, I wouldn't know) to be nude at his computer.  Nude one . . .  I'm not sure what the bigger shocker was, the pronunciation of the name or the fact that he sounded like he was sitting in a posh arm chair with a glass of wine and a fat story book . . .

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 08:37 AM »
. . . I always thought nudone was pretending (or not pretending, I wouldn't know) to be nude at his computer.  Nude one . . .  I'm not sure what the bigger shocker was, the pronunciation of the name or the fact that he sounded like he was sitting in a posh arm chair with a glass of wine and a fat story book . . .

:D not a bad description, allen - both of them.

it's nice to see your beard back around these parts i have to say.

captainvinegar

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 11:55 AM »
-Carol Haynes (June 05, 2006, 06:04 AM)

ah, yes, i forgot about 'nude-one'.

i once spent a bit of time in an irc channel i had created with a friend - it was called 'nudsville'.

there were only ever two of us in it but once a stranger arrived thinking that 'nudsville' was an irc channel for people that appreciated nudism (naturism).

it seemed such a shame to tell him that 'nudsville' wasn't about being naked so i pretended that i was indeed sat infront of the computer without any clothes on. this led to an interesting conversation about how our wifes didn't appreciated nudism (i don't have a wife but it made the story more sympathetic). anyway, he left the irc channel feeling like he had met a kindred spirit out there in cyberspace i'm sure (unless he was pretending too, of course).

anyone wondering why 'nud' isn't 'nudd' as that would make it more obvious as to how to pronounce it - it's simply because i find 'nud' with one 'd' more esthetically pleasing than the more ugly 'dd'. yes, that's the kind of picky swine i am.

unfortunately i'm at work at the moment so can't listend to jgpaiva's version of 'nudone'.

i remember that too. i was there.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Saw activity in this thread (and mistook June 4 for 08 not 06) and got excited thinking the podcast was back.  Alas.