topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: new blackberry passport runs android apps "without delay"  (Read 6510 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
new blackberry passport runs android apps "without delay"
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:40 PM »
I just read the above line.  That's pretty amazing, if the new square shaped phone can do android seamlessly.  That's all.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: new blackberry passport runs android apps "without delay"
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53 PM »
I just read the above line.

You wrote it too :) (no link?)
Tom

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:06 PM »
I just read the above line.

You wrote it too :) (no link?)
Sorry!
http://www.theregist...passport_first_look/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:08 PM »
with apologies for giving you a hard time :Thmbsup:
Tom

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Is that a square screen? Is anything on the web square? (videos, web sites......)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 06:12 PM »
I haven't followed the link, but running Android apps isn't exactly a selling point on its own. I mean Android phones already run Android apps. What does it do that justifies the huge gamble on a company that's unlikely to exist in 3-5 years?
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:46 PM »
Too much doom and gloom here. I don't have the impression that BB will leave within 3-5 years. Too many government contracts for cell-phones and software contracts in lots of different fields to be gone that quick.

Never understood the hate BB gets. I already had positive experiences with QNX and I think it was a very good move from BB to use that as base for BB10.

The only reason I own a Lumia is because I don't want to tinker around with sub-par computing devices that happen to be able to make a call (Android)...or continuously fight with the school yard bully over my lunch money (iOS).

Both BB10 and Windows Phone have a much more business like appearance and their devices are good for making calls. Exactly what my phone needs to do. Couldn't care less about facebook, whatsapp or games on such a tiny device. Sub-par experience on sub-par computing devices is the best you can hope for and most of the time you don't get even that.

While saving for a BB Z10 (yep, people still do that...and I wanted a phone without contract and that makes phones quite expensive here in Paraguay), someone offered me a Lumia cheaply. Never regretted that moment as it has already have a lot of functional stuff in it that doesn't require a internet connection and I can use all that directly from my desktop PC if I want to.

All I want to point out is that the way you want to use your smart phone is definitely not how I want to use mine. Which in turn will make us both look for very different qualities in our phones. If BB wants to cater for people that prefer a more business/no-nonsense like experience...let them. It is/was their core strength to begin with and it served them well.

Smart phones should be regarded as slave devices (fill in the "slave" part how you will), all of them suck as a device to control other devices and you are nickel-and-dimed continuously for that experience. Not worth my time, money or energy, I'll rather use that productively.

More on-topic now:  the website 'crackberry' posted a decent piece about hands-on experience with the Passport and the reviewer was positive about almost all qualities of the device, but also stating there are things to get used to before you appreciate the workflow BB envisioned with this particular phone.

The passport is probably not your cup-of-tea, I can tell you with certainty that its look hasn't won me over. But as far as I understand, its greatest disadvantage will be the introduction price (without contract).

*added link
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 10:04 PM by Shades »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 10:43 AM »
Is that a square screen? Is anything on the web square? (videos, web sites......)

They are wanting to go after the business user who will be using their mobile phone for 'serious' content rather than people who watch videos & movies on their phone. The square screen will allow the user to see more of the PDF or whatever business document they are trying to work with.

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 02:46 PM »
I questioned the square screen when the Passport was 1st being talked about. After seeing it in action it makes sense. I'm talking more for business users.
For anyone interested in seeing it, here is the link to the North American kickoff. They show and talk about the square screen and why at 22 mins in. 

http://live.blackberry.events/

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:04 AM »
I questioned the square screen when the Passport was 1st being talked about. After seeing it in action it makes sense. I'm talking more for business users.
For anyone interested in seeing it, here is the link to the North American kickoff. They show and talk about the square screen and why at 22 mins in. 

http://live.blackberry.events/

watched about 20 minutes of that (from the 22min mark) - sounds & looks very impressive. Whachamacallit it touch/swiipe keyboard (?), if it works well, is a brilliant idea.
Amazon reviews seem quite positive (apparently the price *should* be $599 but sold out so some sellers trying to get $899).
Tom