topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Do you use any GTD/calendar system to get organized?

I use my life organized (MLO)
7 (7%)
I use Outlook
19 (19%)
I use the new GTD stuff on Outlook 2007
0 (0%)
I use Google Calendar
7 (7%)
some AJAX product (online)
1 (1%)
Don't use any
34 (34%)
I use something different
32 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Last post Author Topic: Do you use any GTD/calendar system to get organized?  (Read 28185 times)

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do you use any GTD/calendar system to get organized?
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2006, 06:58 AM »
They give me Outlook at work which is used enterprise wide.

At home it's nice to get away from such things, but my wife runs an awsome wall calendar with a neat manual birthday update routine that runs at the start of each year!!

Mom does much the same. 
So much more practical i would say.

For Outlook users, DeskTask is a nice freeware for quick access to the program without having to open it.  Airset is just excellent for Calendar and Contacts sync (prefer it to Plaxo as it also syncs your Notes and Tasks which Airset does not).

Have tried a variety of things like Google's Calendar, Rainlendar, EssentialPIM, WinPIM and other online services but in the end... perhaps a mom style calendar would be the best!

Ooops!  I did forget to mention Barca which has a nice Calendar with easy 1,2,3 back-up/restore process and great search capabilities.  Except for the exporting feature of .ics file, it fails to sync with anything online.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 07:01 AM by dantheman »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Another Rainlendar user here. This little jewel covers all my needs. I've also tried EssentialPIM and Mozilla Sunbird, also great programs, but a little too much for me. EssentialPIM has some features more oriented to real busy people, and I'm not one of these. The same could be said of Mozilla Sunbird, but it lacks some of the advanced features of EssentialPIM. Also, both are full-screen programs, while Rainlendar sits nicely in a corner of your desktop, and it consumes less memory. It's a lovely application :)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 04:49 PM »
Another Rainlendar user here. This little jewel covers all my needs. I've also tried EssentialPIM and Mozilla Sunbird, also great programs, but a little too much for me. EssentialPIM has some features more oriented to real busy people, and I'm not one of these. The same could be said of Mozilla Sunbird, but it lacks some of the advanced features of EssentialPIM. Also, both are full-screen programs, while Rainlendar sits nicely in a corner of your desktop, and it consumes less memory. It's a lovely application :)
Lashiec, have you tried syncing google calendar and rainlendar? it is described in the forums:
http://ipi.fi/~rainy...9&highlight=gcal

but not sure how well it works. I'm looking for a 'local' copy of gcal. I use MLO but it has no calendar whatsoever, and I love the quick add feature of gcal. Ideally, gcal would be the center and MLO/rainlendar would sync with it...

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 04:57 AM »
Ok I think this thread is relevant here:
https://www.donation...pic=3287.0;topicseen

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 06:13 AM »
Lashiec, have you tried syncing google calendar and rainlendar? it is described in the forums:
http://ipi.fi/~rainy...9&highlight=gcal

No, never tried. Having no Internet at home leaves no option to try. The poor computer always worked offline... I think I'll get an Internet connection when I buy the new computer, but in the meantime... Anyway, what's the utility of that (apart from accessing the calendar from another computer)?

RoadKill

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • The cheese stands alone.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2006, 11:31 PM »
I've used Outlook in the past.  The problem I had was that I wasn't using it on a consistent basis.  Sometimes I would write an appointment down and sometimes I would put it on the Outlook Calendar. That was just proving to be too frustrating for me.
  So for now I just write it down on whatever piece of paper is handy. Any kind of paper will do. I'm not picky, just so it's paper. Notepad paper, napkin, toilet paper. Sometimes I even write it on my hand, the one thing I'm pretty sure I won't lose before I get home. Can't quit the paper though.
 Not yet. I mean I could, if I wanted to,  but I just don't want to quit right now! Because I know I could quit anytime I wanted to!
Orange,Glowing,Warm, and Eternal.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 11:17 PM »
I've been using Peter's Ultimate Alarm Clock for a few years.  http://www.puac.net/index.html  The disadvantage of this program's functionality is it is designed to just alert you at certain times.  I'm looking for a program that has an interface that will prevent me from being surprised by my entered tasks.  For example if I have a dental appointment I obviously need to know in advance that I have to get myself to the dentist by a certain time.  In my opinion the best interface would be one that shows the current day's tasks & maybe the tasks for the next 7 days with a "# days to go until dental appointment" style entry.  What program is closest to this type of format?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2006, 04:13 AM »
looking for a program that has an interface that will prevent me from being surprised by my entered tasks.  For example if I have a dental appointment I obviously need to know in advance that I have to get myself to the dentist by a certain time.  In my opinion the best interface would be one that shows the current day's tasks & maybe the tasks for the next 7 days with a "# days to go until dental appointment" style entry.  What program is closest to this type of format?

Take a look at Horst Schaeffer's tiny freeware Date Reminder or the shareware sticky notes program Magic Notes or maybe the donationware UK's Calendar (Kalendar) by Ulrich Krebs.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2006, 04:33 AM »
the shareware sticky notes program Magic Notes
I'm not sure, but it think that Stickies is similar to magic notes, and it's freeware ;)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2006, 05:36 AM »
the shareware sticky notes program Magic Notes
I'm not sure, but it think that Stickies is similar to magic notes, and it's freeware ;)

They're similar, but I think Magic Notes has better reminder features.  I can only say "I think" because I didn't actually try Stickies reminders, but from what the rest of you were saying, it pops up everything.  Magic Notes only pops up the one you want.  However, neither is really a calendar program with a calendar view.

Just found another two in my archives;

Event Manager (freeware) is a light weight reminder program. Program to help you remember your appointments. It supports many options for repeatable alarms and allows the user to specify a .wav file as audio notification. Event Manager is very simple to use unlike other bloat-ware reminders... just unzip and run.  http://www.rotebetas...om/EventManager.html

Kirby Alarm & Task Scheduler
http://www.kirbyfooty.com/
"Kirby Alarm is an alarm clock and task scheduler that will pop up a
note, or run a program, or play a sound, or send an email at user
defined intervals. Various options are available to set alarms (or
programs) to run every few minutes, hours, days, months, years, or the
last Friday in the month, or the last day in the month. Plus lots
more!! "

This one has both free and (recently) shareware versions.

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2006, 08:58 PM »
In my opinion the best interface would be one that shows the current day's tasks & maybe the tasks for the next 7 days with a "# days to go until dental appointment" style entry.  What program is closest to this type of format?
You should look at miniminder.  My absolute fovorite, it does exactly what you describe. http://www.vellosoft.com/miniminder/index.html
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin

CoderMan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 11:47 AM »
I use my PDA.  :D