ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (45/65) > >>

theGleep:
Well...it's been a long while, but it's finally together. 

And it looks great!  If I took the close-up pictures, I could point out all of the flaws, but at a distance, I'm getting lots of compliments.

Now I'm stripping a Mexican/Korean Strat to do the same treatment with...and probably a year or so (maybe less), I'm going to take the top coat off of this one (polyurethane is lots softer than I thought or wanted!) - and take it in to an auto body shop to have them put a clearcoat on.

theGleep:
... and the back ...

tjbray:
@TheGleep: looks really nice, man!  :Thmbsup: The weather around here finally broke, so as long as the humidity lowers a tad, I can finally get the bass I had to put in mothballs in Dec. finished. I'm hoping to have it completely built this month (fingers crossed). I'm also starting a tele build at same time. The body just needs the sharp edge around the top & bottom perimeter rounded over, and I can start deciding on shade of stain or dye. It's gonna have killer tone. I started with Honduran mahogany for the back, with a maple top that has a narrow band of Peruvian Walnut running along each side of the pickups  from neck to bottom. I almost hope the dude I'm building it for doesn't like it so I can keep it!!!

theGleep:
@tjbray:  I can understand that...so far, I'm just doing "refurbishing" as a hobby...but if I get to where they're really nice, I might see about buying cheap, doing the work, and selling them again.

One thing I'm doing with my strat is that BHMay wiring kit.  There is an *amazing* range of sounds available from that mod...and the $35 kit is REALLY affordable.

wraith808:
I didn't know where to put this... but a few articles to honor the passing of the last great bluesman.

BB King obituary

BB King was that rare thing – a game-changer who was also beloved

'Always a rotten apple': BB King, poison and the daughters of an infertile legend

A bit from that last that made me look at him even better than I already had:

He’d met a lot of women playing 300 shows per year, and he had a saying, according to Sawyer: “If a woman is pregnant, and she says you’re the father, the only question to ask is: ‘Is it possible?’ And if it’s possible, it’s yours.”

But Sawyer, the biographer, said King also told him something else, a second piece of information that seemed to contradict the first. This assertion had long been forgotten in his portrait of a blues legend now stalked by family intrigue: King and his second wife couldn’t have children, and he took a fertility test that showed his sperm count was too low to conceive. Sawyer said he published this in his book, The Arrival of BB King, an authorized biography that is now out of print. Sawyer said King read the manuscript and could have removed that statement from the book, but he left it in.

--- End quote ---

That's the mark of not just a great bluesman, but a great man, IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version