ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (30/65) > >>

superboyac:
Jake Shimabukuro!  Wow!  Damn that was so good.

40hz:
Jake Shimabukuro!  Wow!  Damn that was so good.
-superboyac (January 25, 2015, 01:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup! He's one of the poster children for the "new" ukulele sound. And deservedly so IMO.

He's been called the Béla Fleck of the uke. Seems to be an equally nice guy too. :Thmbsup:

40hz:
re: Ukulele

So why not build your own? And why not a solidbody electric while you're at it?  :huh:

Link to download plans here.
Link to Dan Hulbert's Circuits & Strings website here. Great source for uke builders.

And since we have an electric solidbody, how about doing up a bass while we're at it?

Or if woodworking isn't your thing, maybe try using a detergent bottle for the body. A resonator is a resonator. Some sound better and work better than others. But they all do the same basic thing. Experiment! :Thmbsup:

40hz:
Of course there's also the Diddley Bow for people with no building skills or money. It's just a hunk of any wood you have lying around; any guitar string or piece of wire you can get your hands on; something to use as a bridge and nut (an old eye bolt, or piece of doweling, or a pencil stub are traditional); a screw (or whatever) for a 'tuning' key; and a pickup of some sort. Usually it's the cannibalized piezo element from an old buzzer or something like the microphone end of an old telephone...

After that it's up to you. Because the truth is: even "a piece of junk" can become a pretty remarkable musical instrument in the right hands. Here's Seasick Steve, a Jedi master of junk instruments if there ever was one, showing what you can do with a Diddley Bow:

BTW: The Diddley Bow is a modern manifestation of the monochord. A musical  instrument, teaching tool, and research device that dates back to classical antiquity. From that single string came much of what we know about the physics of music, the harmonic series, the geometric ratios of notes to one another, and pretty much everything else that passes for music theory to this day.

8) :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Uploaded on Oct 20, 2011

"Alla Hornpipe" from Handel's Water Music, Suite #2 in D major.

This performance is dedicated to the memory of my father Mervin Smart (1934-1991) who loved Handel's music.

--- End quote ---

Know it dates back a while but just seen the video - cool!!

Sorry I haven't been around much over the last few months - been totally obsessed by my cello!!! (Also I get enough input about computers during the day). Played this Handel in a concert last week ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version