ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (28/65) > >>

theGleep:
@tjbray:  I'm liking how the airbrush works out.  Except for sag - but that's my lack of skill. :)

I'm thinking that what I'll do for the last few passes is to "hang" the body flat so that the shellac smooths itself out.  I plan to do this by putting the strap screws in (well...spare strap screws), hanging it from the screws and putting a hook of some sort to keep it stable.  If I'm spraing the front, the hook would be through the "pot holes" (heh-heh), and when I'm doing the back, I'll move the hook to one of the neck-mounting holes.

How many coats, overall, should I expect to do?  And would I double the number of coats since I'm using half-strength shellac?

Congrats on the hobby making enough money to sustain itself!

I've a couple of questions on the "app" - I'll email those offline.

tjbray:
@theGleep@: If you don't intend on using a poly varnish seal over the top coat of shellac, just going for a shellac  finish, once you're able to block-sand the flat areas completely level -- you'll know this by not having any shiny dots where the paper hasn't touched -- I'd go one or two light coats more and you should be able to go with a light rubdown with MacGuires Polish, I'm not home, so I'm not sure the number, it should be just under swirl remover. Finishing with swirl remover would be your prerogative after that. If you're going by hand, I doubt it's necessary. I'll get to my email this afternoon or evening once I get home.

Another way you can hold it flat would be to screw a 1X2 to the neck slot using 2 of your neck screws,  and clamping or weighing down the end to a table or chair. No matter how you do it, be 100% sure it won't slide off, or you'll be repeating one of my mistakes!!! :-[

theGleep:
@tjbray:  Good idea!  That'll be lots easier.  Once I find my c-clamp :)

As to block-sanding...at this point, I don't have much actual flat surface, so I'm mostly finger sanding, but being careful to be a super-light touch.  As such, I don't tend to "dull" the whole surface.  Which is part of why I want to do the "flat" pass :)

I *am* finding it's pretty shiny even without doing all of the buffing. 

But I am considering a nitro-celulose top-coat, just to be careful (I *KNOW* I'll be bumping this thing against tables or whatever when I play it...I want as much protection for that as I can get :)

40hz:
Here's something interesting for keyboard players who might have about $5K to spend on a keyboard controller. (Don't rush the checkout counter please! ;D)

This is a perfromance of Handel's 'Hornpipe' segment from Water Music. It's played by Mark Smart on a Haken Continuum Fingerboard driving a custom setup on Native Instruments Reaktor software.

Very cool.

Uploaded on Oct 20, 2011

"Alla Hornpipe" from Handel's Water Music, Suite #2 in D major.

This performance is dedicated to the memory of my father Mervin Smart (1934-1991) who loved Handel's music.

In this multitrack recording, I'm using the Haken Continuum Fingerboard
(http://www.hakenaudio.com) to control a custom synthesizer built with
Native Instruments' Reaktor software (running on a Muse Receptor 2
for fast response). I used Cubase for the multitrack recording.

The left channel of the audio is the same take I'm playing in the video
(with some corrections). The Continuum surface is split in the Y
(front-to-back) direction so playing above the halfway point produces
a string sound and playing below it produces a brass sound. The
"Mono Interval" on the Continuum is set to 2, which means that when
you play notes more than 2 half-steps apart, you get two separate
notes, allowing you to play dual melody lines in thirds. But if you
play notes 1-2 half steps apart, you only hear whichever note you
are pressing the hardest, allowing half-step and whole-step trills.
So in the same take I can do the 2 Violins, 2 Trumpets, or 2 French
Horns by playing at different locations.

The right channel contains 9 additional tracks, also performed on
the Continuum driving Reaktor:

1. Violin 2 (when it's not playing along with 1)
2. Violin 3
3. Viola
4. Cello and bass (this is panned a little to center)
5. Oboe 1&2
6. Additional trumpet 1
6. Additional trumpet 2
7. Additional horn 1
7. Additional horn 2

In case you're wondering, my finger is injured and I wear a splint
on it to keep it straight. It's a repetitive stress injury from flipping
too many people off.

Haken Audio web site: http://www.hakenaudio.com/Continuum/

My web site: http://www.marksmart.net

More Continuum examples by me: http://www.marksmart.net/instruments/...
--- End quote ---

Deozaan:
This is a perfromance-40hz (January 11, 2015, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I ain't gonna watch a video of a perv romance! :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version