ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (20/65) > >>

40hz:
Would everclear (95% grain alcohol) work in place of denatured alcohol?
-theGleep (December 07, 2014, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup! For shellac it does. IMMO it's preferable (far less toxic). Also a good excuse to hit the package store. ;)
-40hz (December 07, 2014, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I actually have a few bottles to help adjust the proof of my vodka for vanilla extract.  I'm looking for the *perfect* extract recipe.  I doubt I'll ever find it :)
-theGleep (December 08, 2014, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd be interested in buying some off you if you ever do. I've yet to find a vanilla extract I absolutely am in love with. Luck! :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
40 hz was saying "for those too young to know" ... but in many ways it's "two out of three IS bad". We know a name, we know a voice, because I for one raided flea markets to get tapes for 50 cents each. But there was no way to get pictures of anyone back then.

Maybe YouTube is MTV 3.0!?

40hz:
But there was no way to get pictures of anyone back then.
-TaoPhoenix (December 08, 2014, 10:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's some truth to that. Unless you were reading the "alternative" paper or magazine that covered the local music scene (Boston-The Phoenix/B.A.D.; NYC-The Village Voice, etc.) or Rolling Stone, there weren't that many pictures available. There were album covers and liners, concert posters and...that was about it. Music was far less 'visual' not too long ago. People went to concerts to listen. ("We went to hear XYZ.") Today people more often say they "watched" a concert. ("We went to see XYZ.")

It's a small but significant shift in perspective that reflects a very different expectation about how a musical performance is to be experienced.

Sometimes tiny changes in colloquial expressions indicate seismic changes in perception.
 8)

Vurbal:
but they can be developed.
-wraith808 (December 03, 2014, 02:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

If they're there to begin with. That is something, unlike a musical instrument, that can't be bought. Some vocal abilities can't even be developed. It's there or it's not. And no amount of hard work or sincere effort will get it for you.

I sing too. I'm not bad. Three years with a university chorale that ran the gamut from Gregorian chant to Cole Porter taught me a lot about performance and various vocal technique. It made me a vastly better singer than I was before. But I would never consider myself a vocalist first and foremost.

I suspect (no proof to offer on this btw) that probably something like 70% of all people could be taught to sing adequately, with a higher percentage of them being women rather than men. But that's not the same thing as considering them 'singers', any more than being able to accompany yourself on a guitar in a workmanlike manner automatically earns you the title of 'guitarist.'

There's that difference between talent and skill; and craft and art. Difficult, if not impossible, to define. But oh so obvious to almost anyone when they encounter it.

That's what I mean by a gift. Superb singers are gifted rather than merely talented.

(Does any of the above even make sense, I wonder? ;D )
-40hz (December 03, 2014, 03:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I keep meaning to get back to this, because I do agree, at least where it concerns the great ones. I would add one caveat, that a great voice alone can't make you a great singer any more than dexterity makes you a great drummer.

Ironically, I'm something of an anomaly, in the sense that I have both the gift and the ear, not to mention the good fortune to have received some first class training in my youth,  but my Asperger's Syndrome,  which actually adds to my music, makes it impossible for me to be a front man. It also makes it difficult, depending on the music even impossible, for me to sing and play at the same time.

However, on the subject of great singers, I can think of one in particular who illustrates your point perfectly, and that's Corey Glover of Living Colour. Given that every other member of the band could arguably be among the best in the world on his chosen instrument, it would be easy to dismiss Glover as less important,but that would be a huge mistake.

As impressive as it is for the rest of the band to smoothly move between playing R&B to heavy metal to hardcore to hip hop, they still have one huge advantage compared to him. He doesn't get to change instruments when he needs a different sound. What he was born with is what he's got.  Arguably, it's even more than that since singing, even the most beautiful singing, actually damages your vocal chords. The fact he sounds amazing singing stuff influenced by, or even flat out copied from, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Bad Brains, Neil Young, and any number of other acts, is at least as impressive as anything you could say about the rest of the band.

TL; DR:
Mostly I disagree, but for the truly great ones you're absolutely right.

wraith808:
I keep meaning to get back to this, because I do agree, at least where it concerns the great ones. I would add one caveat, that a great voice alone can't make you a great singer any more than dexterity makes you a great drummer.
-Vurbal (December 09, 2014, 07:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes!  This is exactly what I meant... though I was including it for the others also.  That's the part that I wanted to illustrate... that all forms of creative endeavor need something else.  Not just singing.

However, on the subject of great singers, I can think of one in particular who illustrates your point perfectly, and that's Corey Glover of Living Colour. Given that every other member of the band could arguably be among the best in the world on his chosen instrument, it would be easy to dismiss Glover as less important,but that would be a huge mistake.

--- End quote ---

Definitely underrated when it comes to male singers.

And I have nothing to add... other than I totally agree.  

As impressive as it is for the rest of the band to smoothly move between playing R&B to heavy metal to hardcore to hip hop, they still have one huge advantage compared to him. He doesn't get to change instruments when he needs a different sound. What he was born with is what he's got.  Arguably, it's even more than that since singing, even the most beautiful singing, actually damages your vocal chords. The fact he sounds amazing singing stuff influenced by, or even flat out copied from, Marvin Gaye, Al Green, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Bad Brains, Neil Young, and any number of other acts, is at least as impressive as anything you could say about the rest of the band.

--- End quote ---

That's a good point.  Look at many great singers after they get older.  Which is one of the things that's so amazing about Ann Wilson's voice today, to bring it back full circle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version