ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (46/65) > >>

MilesAhead:
I only got to hear him live once.  It was in the early 70s at the Sunset Series on the Boston Common.  There was a fenced in area with tarp on the chain link fence.  Those of us outside listening for free could see just a bit of the show between the sections of the tarp.  But the sound was great.  I had some great times at those concerts.

Jimi Hendrix was supposed to appear on one date.  But he cancelled.  In a classy move he sent a check for 25 large to cover the setup costs for his show.

Other groups I saw at the series included Weather Report, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Poco, Michael White, Maynard Ferguson.  Too many great nights to remember.

I don't believe any of the groups had an engineer "playing" tracks backstage.  All the music was performed live by artists like BB King who could make their instruments talk.

Too many talented musicians are passing away these days.

40hz:
Something from the past. The PPG Wave Synthesizer. One of the most interesting and musical of all those godlike keyboards ever created. A big favorite of prominent musicians like Kate Bush and the electronic prog crowd - when they could afford one! It was very much ahead of it's time. It was also the first wavetable synth. A radical new technology (for the time) that really broke the mold and set electronic music on a whole new path for several years following it's introduction. It had a very organic feel. And the sounds it created were to die for. You just couldn't sound bad on this thing.

Awesome rig.

Check out the sounds! No wonder so many game music composers were totally hooked on it's vibe.

Here's a run through of the various wave tables contained within it:

40hz:
Ok...here's an excellent example of how it's not so much the instrument as the player. Two young ladies playing a matched set of those godawful all-in-one built-in amplifier and rhythm box guitars Vox built way back when. Most people who own one bought it as a conversation piece or purely for the novelty value. These two women make them work. Which just goes to show funkiness recognizes no national borders - and it really is the hand wielding the axe, rather than the axe itself, that counts:

Really cute "bass face" too! ;D

mouser:
nice!

wraith808:
Two young ladies playing a matched set of those godawful all-in-one built-in amplifier and rhythm box guitars Vox built way back when.
-40hz (October 11, 2015, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

They probably didn't get them from older models:

Vox again revived these body styles in 2013 with their Apache Series Travel Basses.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version