ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do we have any musical people on DC?

<< < (34/65) > >>

40hz:
This video serves two purposes. (1) To show the formidable talent of a very fine bass player by the name of Tal Wilkenfeld; and (2) to show some of the condescending attitude (usually masquerading as faint praise) that women in the music world still face when they elect to play "an unusual instrument for a young lady" rather than just sing, play acoustic guitar, or shake some booty.  :-\

Melanie nailed it when she penned that classic line in the song Brand New Key:  "Some people say, I done all right for a girl"

Here's a better one. As far as bass goes, Tal gets it. She finds the pocket and slots right in to a mostly supporting role - but still with a just the right amount of artistic flair in those places where it fits. That level humility and good taste - in the service of the song - isn't something that can be easily taught if it's not there to begin with. Too bad Jeff Beck sorta ruins it with a somewhat excessive (as is his wont) bit of guitar work. The two ladies definitely put on the better performance in this one.

And it's also nice to see that when the time comes to take the center stage, Tal (with her utterly impeccable technique and tone!) is more than up to the task. Even with a moron (whom she doesn't seem to mind) horning in to do some party tricks... Seriously Jeff? Seriously? Could you just for once get the **** out of the way and let somebody else play something?  That G-G <rest> F#^G thing you're doing - and plucking way too hard* - adds nothing that couldn't just as easily have been handled by the kick drum. In the background.

8)

------------------------------------------

* Looks like she's playing a Sadowsky bass there Jeff. They're very touch sensitive instruments. You don't need to beat on them to get them to bark or growl...

tomos:
^enjoyed those videos.
Interesting for a non-musician music-lover to learn a bit from a musician's perspective.

Even with a moron (whom she doesn't seem to mind) horning in to do some party tricks... Seriously Jeff? Seriously? Could you just for once get the **** out of the way and let somebody else play something?  That G-G <rest> F#^G thing you're doing - and plucking way too hard* - adds nothing that couldn't just as easily have been handled by the kick drum. In the background.
-40hz (January 28, 2015, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Lol, I couldnt watch after about a minute of that :-/

40hz:
@Tomos - Yeah. He's botching the friggin' beat too... And she seems like such a nice kid. That little happy smile she flashes when she gets that smattering of applause is adorable.

What a dork to be working for. (Nice dye job or wig you got there Jeff! Even kids in the third world, who never saw so much as a TV set, would take one look and say: "Look Mommy! Man wearing rug! Rug!") >:D

As you may have guessed, I'm not a fan of Jeff Beck. :P

(BTW: He's playing G-G <beat> F^G - not F#. My bad. :-[ )

superboyac:
@Tomos - Yeah. He's botching the friggin' beat too... And she seems like such a nice kid. That little happy smile she flashes when she gets that smattering of applause is adorable.

What a dork to be working for. (Nice dye job or wig you got there Jeff! Even kids in the third world, who never saw so much as a TV set, would take one look and say: "Look Mommy! Man wearing rug! Rug!") >:D

As you may have guessed, I'm not a fan of Jeff Beck. :P

(BTW: He's playing G-G <beat> F^G - not F#. My bad. :-[ )
-40hz (January 28, 2015, 01:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
I am really enjoying your animosity towards Jeff Beck, 40.
I didn't know about this Wilkenfeld lady.  Let me just say this personally...she is soooooo attractive.  holy cow.  The first girl i fell in love with as an adult had hair like that.

40hz:
^ She is a pretty sweet person to say nothing of being rather nice to look at too. Her CV is extremely impressive. So much so I make it a point not to say "young" or "female" in the same sentence with her name and the term "bass player." She not a fine <fill in the blank> bass player. She is a superb bass player. Period.

And at the ripe old age of 28, she has a long career ahead of her. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version