ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outline 4D >>50% off sale<< (only $50)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Dormouse:
Also, when you open the RTF export in MS Word, the headings are not automatically recognised. For this reason it's a good idea to set up a template with different formatting for each level of heading in O4D, and then in MS Word you can use the "find text with similar formatting" tool and apply the heading levels manually.
-dr_andus (September 21, 2014, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Would that be true in all word processors? I might try it with a number of them to see if there is any difference. It's not a major issue for me as I would probably do headings manually at the end anyway, when I was thinking about layout.

It has also struck me, while I have been looking at these, that the constantly developing ToDoList may well be perfectly effective for organising and writing now, with custom columns, filters, gantt chart and calendar views. It would actually meet all the criteria I have been applying to the other programs; and probably more. I will probably give it a go some time.

dr_andus:
Would that be true in all word processors?
-Dormouse (September 21, 2014, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd presume so. But the method I suggested is a very easy one (in Word at least). Just use different formatting for each heading level in O4D (here is a 10 level template I made: 10-level_template.syv (23kb)), then once exported into RTF and opened in a wordprocessor like MS Word, select one of the headings, choose "Select text with similar formatting", and then apply Heading 1, etc., and it will convert all Level 1 headings to functioning Heading 1 style.

Dormouse:
Thanks for the templates. I've not tested what they do yet because of too much to do + system switching.

I've stopped trying to use iPads for for more general activities (rather than the specific use I bought them for) & switched to using the Samsung Note system, purely because it gives me very good stylus functionality and it just seems much easier to use Android as part of a multi-OS system. (Some) iPad apps very good, and I've worked hard to try to get them into a productive system, but it I've never been able to get it to work well. And I had a Damascene conversion moment when I realised the importance of the stylus after finding myself carting a pen and notebook around with me all the time because I liked writing things out and seeing them the way I wrote them. So busy system tweaking atm, but still happy with the overall feel of Outline 4D, at least for moment. Though I do have a suspicion that a stylus, keyboard & pad will be what I end up using most of the time - but that will usually be after the Outline 4D bit, and I can use O4D (maybe) when I work in Windows..

superboyac:
Would that be true in all word processors?
-Dormouse (September 21, 2014, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd presume so. But the method I suggested is a very easy one (in Word at least). Just use different formatting for each heading level in O4D (here is a 10 level template I made: 10-level_template.syv (23kb)), then once exported into RTF and opened in a wordprocessor like MS Word, select one of the headings, choose "Select text with similar formatting", and then apply Heading 1, etc., and it will convert all Level 1 headings to functioning Heading 1 style.
-dr_andus (September 21, 2014, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh...this is gold!  Thanks!

cthorpe:
-

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version