ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Rethink Smartwatch

<< < (4/6) > >>

Renegade:
Hmmm, some guy was talking into his watch on the train platform this morning.  Either he has Dick Tracy delusions or the thing is out already?
-MilesAhead (September 16, 2014, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

THAT'S IT!! DICK TRACY!

I'd had a bit to drink and couldn't remember the exact reference.

But... no. Buddy there isn't what we really want. We want VIDEO!

Video is very expensive for a mobile device, and this is why we won't see a good watch device for a while yet.

Look at what's available now, then wait 5~10 years and look.

However... what do people ALWAYS have with them?

* Watch
* Mobile phone (it's got a clock)
* Wallet/purse (not relevant here, but true) (I've got pockets)-Renegade (September 16, 2014, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Problem solved  :)

Android Watch Phone

I think your main problem with something like that is going to be finding a battery that lasts long enough for it to be useful.
-4wd (September 16, 2014, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Battery - Exactly.

Battery is good enough for some things, but it isn't good enough for video quite yet. Or not good enough for sustained usage.

You can use a tablet computer that is plugged into an electrical socket to stream video and the battery level will still decline.

But for "problem solved", no. The problem is far from solved. The issue there is form factor and battery life.

The watch, mobile phone, tablet, laptop, and desktop computer form factors are all very different in how we (need to) interact with them.

The question is about fitting what we want to do (video or high energy applications) into a small form factor with battery power sufficient to meet our expectations.

Energy in general needs to be rethought. The current mainstream ideas aren't working out very well. But there are alternative technologies that are promising and could help. 

TaoPhoenix:

I guess I'm not seeing the plusses of video on a watch. I tried to watch a couple movies on my phone and the only way I could enjoy them was to sprawl out on the floor with a pillow and the phone propped up. But I far prefer my 24" screen for movies and TV.

Meanwhile, re: the jogger and the watch, just make the watch unit removable from the band and then attach it to your collar or whatever the same way you'd do it with an ipod nano or whatever.

4wd:
However... what do people ALWAYS have with them?

* Watch
* Mobile phone (it's got a clock)
* Wallet/purse (not relevant here, but true) (I've got pockets)-Renegade (September 16, 2014, 10:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Problem solved  :)
-4wd (September 16, 2014, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

But for "problem solved", no. The problem is far from solved. The issue there is form factor and battery life.-Renegade (September 17, 2014, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

There, fixed my OP so it makes sense - there's no problem for me because I don't use a watch or a wallet.

Renegade:
There, fixed my OP so it makes sense - there's no problem for me because I don't use a watch or a wallet.
-4wd (September 21, 2014, 05:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Haha! :)

Yes, that may very well work for you, and a lot of others -- me included -- I no longer use my watch or wallet. But that just boils down to our preference for what form factors we like. In this case, pockets. :) Watches will find a market with people that prefer them to pockets.

Target:
saw this this morning - Neptune Pine Review

I've been interested in the idea of a smart watch but I think that like most devices they're trying to put too much functionality into the things (just because you can do something doesn't mean you should).

At the end of the day I think we as consumers need to adjust our expectations -I mean, do we really need/want to do video on a 1-2" screen, or game, or browse the net?

Having said that I suppose we'll just continue to consume whatever we're fed (no matter how ridiculous) 'cos that's what we're trained to do

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version