ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is firewire better than USB?

<< < (5/5)

superticker:
Good Pros and Cons of both technologies.
http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=104527&catId=100533&tid=100008&p=3&title=FireWire+vs+Hi-Speed+USB

Short version:
Firewire, uses a "Peer-to-Peer" architecture in which the peripherals are intelligent and can negotiate bus conflicts to determine which device can best control a data transfer

Hi-Speed USB 2.0 uses a "Master-Slave" architecture in which the computer handles all arbitration functions and dictates data flow to, from and between the attached peripherals (adding additional system overhead and resulting in slower data flow control)-Cloq (June 15, 2006, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Some people in this forum are probably not hardware savvy, so we need to clarify generalizations carefully.

Firewire is DMA and peer-to-peer, so it has much better real-time deterministic service times.  The DMA capability lets it write directly into DMA buffers without involving Windows and its drivers.  This means there's less CPU overhead for large file transfers and real-time activities (like watching videos) will be much smoother.

However, when TI defined the peer-to-peer IEEE 1394 (Firewire) standard, they did it only for the transport layer, not the session layer (middleware component as some call it).  As a result, if you plug a 1394 Sony DVD re-recorder into a Panasonic HDTV, it won't work.  If you plan to use the peer-to-peer features, you need to buy all your equipment from a single manufacture until the require middleware can be standardized probably around year 2012 or so.  When there is "eventually" a middleware standard, there will probably be a logo for it that you'll need to look for.

In constrast, USB is not DMA; therefore, there's much more CPU overhead in moving data around between USB buffers by the CPU.  The speeds of these moves will be non-deterministic, which will cause jitter in real-time traffic, especially with a heavily burdened CPU doing lots of background I/O.

Because USB is not typically peer-to-peer, the smarts (or middleware) required to make it interoperable is programmed in the daughter half of the USB driver.  This daughter half can be made smart so that it will negotiate resources such as power, bandwidth, response time, etc when it gets connected.  This is why it takes forever for you computer to boot up with lots of USB devices are plugged in--time is required for this negotiation between devices, which is a good thing BTW, because you get the best trade-offs.  But try booting with your USB devices UNplugged and you'll see it's much faster.

Embedded system engineers love the negotiation feature of USB because it avoids a lot of end-user service calls from users trying to overload their USB bandwidth or create device conflicts.  For the non-geek, USB is plug-and-play.

There is a peer-to-peer version of USB called "USB on-the-go".  Some of your peripheral devices (especially cameras and photo printers) may have this feature.  Check on the box that your photo printer came in.  It's based in part on Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which Microsoft developed.  If your USB device supports UPnP, then it probably supports USB on-the-go as well.  If you can plug your camera directly into your photo printer, then you must have it.

I like USB better for non-computer geeks because it's smarter.  But for professional use, 1394 is faster and deterministic, which is important for real-time data streaming.  In the commercial environment, you should pay the price and buy a 1394 camera for streaming data transfers.

nudone:
that is a really fantastic explanation, superticker.

f0dder:
Funny enough, the CPU load when I use my HDD enclosure is about the same whether I use USB2 or FireWire... FireWire gives better speed at (approximately) the same CPU speed, though.

superticker:
Funny enough, the CPU load when I use my HDD enclosure is about the same whether I use USB2 or FireWire... FireWire gives better speed at (approximately) the same CPU speed, though.
-f0dder (June 16, 2006, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is a very interesting observation, which I wouldn't have expected.  One possibility is that the CPU workload for processing the IDE requests may be many times higher than the USB workload.  In other words, the IDE driver uses significantly more CPU cycles than the USB driver.  Let me ask you to run an experiment:

In both cases, disable all disk caching by the Windows OS and the disk controller chip before running these tests so all disk requests must go through the USB or 1394 interfaces.  You do not need to disable caching on the disk volumes themselves (and I'm not sure you can anyway from the Win32 API level).

1) Run the same comparison between USB and 1394 Firewire disks while doing an I/O intensive operation in the background.  The background task could be an I/O intensive search on a second, badly fragmented IDE drive.

2) Run the same comparison using SCSI disks instead of IDE disks so the CPU isn't tide up in the IDE driver, which may be the rate determining (slow) step for the E-IDE disk case.

Recall, servers always use SCSI and ISI disks because they have their own internal processor aboard each disk volume allowing them to do many disks operations in parallel (independently) when the CPU is busy.  Intelligent System Interface (ISI 2) is more commonly seen with main-frame OSes (IBM MVS) that demand variable-length block sizes to fit database records more efficiently.  Windows uses disks with fixed cluster sizes determined when the SCSI or IDE disk is low-level formatted.

mouser:
great to read superticker's description of firewire and usb - love these kinds of posts  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version