topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:11 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How come @Stephen66515 keeps posting here about stuff that gets expunged?  (Read 12995 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
How come @Stephen66515 keeps posting here about stuff that gets expunged?
It doesn't look like spam. Some of it looks quite funny/interesting - and some of the responses too.

I think we should be told.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What exactly are you referring to? Can you please give an example?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oops, sorry, in that case I won't give an example as probably they weren't intended for us to see. I haven't been following too closely, but I think the last one so far was a bit obscure.
It looked like the authors were having some fun, anyways.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
stephen is in the chat channel (see link above) all the time. i try to keep his fun levels from getting too high.  ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, you mean the posts may have leaked to the forum somehow by mistake, rather than stayed in the Chat tunnel? (Which I looked at just now but can't seem to use at present as I have Java disabled).
"Fun" can be provocatively (I guess) stirring up a hornet's nest?
I gather that Cody and a flying pig (?) seemed to resolve the situation...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
No, I was just communicating that stephen is on very friendly basis with the people who have the power to delete posts.  I did delete one post of his yesterday that had the title "ヽ(´▽`)/" and had no contents, but stephen knows that he is only allowed a certain number of totally silly topic starts per week :)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I actually thought I had posted that one in my personal area and not in living room haha, no wonder I couldn't find it  ;D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Although...saying that...I don't recall any others being deleted recently (Except one which I requested to be deleted because it was supposed to be a nice memorial post on 9/11 and it instantly got hit with anti-government stuff and I wasn't comfortable having that here on DC...in the Basement is fine...but the way it was portrayed by the person commenting meant it would have caused a lot of heated tempers) :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Although...saying that...I don't recall any others being deleted recently (Except one which I requested to be deleted because it was supposed to be a nice memorial post on 9/11 and it instantly got hit with anti-government stuff and I wasn't comfortable having that here on DC...in the Basement is fine...but the way it was portrayed by the person commenting meant it would have caused a lot of heated tempers) :)
Yes, that was the thread I read, and I thought you had saved me the trouble of doing something similar - I always like to remember the lives of innocent people that have been taken by murderers of varying religio-political ideology.
I am surprised that you took that down. It was apolitical as far as I could see. You probably need to grow a stronger spine, mate.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It wasn't about what I said that made me want to remove it...it was about how a certain member of DC acted and I felt that it would be better for the community as a whole if a complete flame war didn't erupt...which that thread could have very easily started.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It wasn't about what I said that made me want to remove it...it was about how a certain member of DC acted and I felt that it would be better for the community as a whole if a complete flame war didn't erupt...which that thread could have very easily started.

Coincidentally, this was also the sort of point I was making to @Stephen66515 in another thread in the Living Room, where he had made a genuinely kind and apolitical post and then succumbed to an aggressive outburst in response from another DCF member and so nervously censored his own post, thereby restricting his own speech and unwittingly making of himself a victim of, and submitting to, another's strongly-held opinions. Much as I detest the act of censorship and self-censorship, I detest the action of opinionated bullying and victimisation even more.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I detest the action of opinionated bullying and victimisation even more.

You probably need to grow a stronger spine, mate.

So you're bullying him into submitting to the actions you and your strongly-held opinions dictate that he take by calling him spineless? :huh:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I detest the action of opinionated bullying and victimisation even more.

You probably need to grow a stronger spine, mate.

So you're bullying him into submitting to the actions you and your strongly-held opinions dictate that he take by calling him spineless? :huh:

:huh: I want to laugh at this and dismiss it as an amusing quip...but...I do actually see your point there  :o

On another note...

I didn't "bow to pressure", I didn't "Give in to another's views" and I didn't "Succumb" to anybody.  I freely chose to remove a post that was going to cause a lot of arguments on the forum here.  I chose to do this so as to not raise anybodies tempers or cause mouser or any of the team at DC to have to start issuing any sort of warnings or banning people for losing their minds (All of which is a possibility when a community clashes heads over something).

I have no intention or want, of being the one to cause a mass-flame war on the forums whether through direct or indirect actions.

My decision was my own, and nobody else's.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Stephen66515: Ah, I think I understand now. Sorry to have seemed critical of you - it was really the action of self-censorship that I was critical of, not you per se.

I consider you made a very positive and potentially uplifting set of statements in that deleted OP, and deleting it was our loss.
I also realised that the negative contra views, whilst they may have been making some valid points (I don't know), were off-topic and likely Basement material.
I saw the need to enable the various flows of thought/discussion without losing the potential of your spontaneously positive and beautiful affirmation of the human life and spirit.

Sorted now, and thankyou for your uplifting comments.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I actually thought I had posted that one in my personal area and not in living room haha, no wonder I couldn't find it  ;D

Aha... so someone can post to the forum directly from My Personal Area?  Interesting.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Aha... so someone can post to the forum directly from My Personal Area?  Interesting.

No.  One must copy and paste from Personal Area in order to move it to a live forum section.

I have a tendency to have a lot of DC tabs open at any one time and sometimes multiple "New Topic" tabs for mocking up posts before making them, and sometimes I don't realize I have posted something live that should have been a test post.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

No.  One must copy and paste from Personal Area in order to move it to a live forum section.

I have a tendency to have a lot of DC tabs open at any one time and sometimes multiple "New Topic" tabs for mocking up posts before making them, and sometimes I don't realize I have posted something live that should have been a test post.

Okay... thanks.  In my early days at DC I (thought) I was in My Personal Area when I clicked post but sent it to the forum and the wrong thread instead.

Just so I understand:  If I'm in MPA and click post... it will come up looking like a forum post but stay in MPA?   :tellme:

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Okay... thanks.  In my early days at DC I (thought) I was in My Personal Area when I clicked post but sent it to the forum and the wrong thread instead.

Just so I understand:  If I'm in MPA and click post... it will come up looking like a forum post but stay in MPA?   :tellme:

Yes.  The Personal Area is a private area ONLY you can see. - It looks and feels like the public forum sections, but nobody else can see in there.

If you want to move something from that area to a public section, then you can do so by copy/paste method, or by speaking to mouser and asking him to move it for you.

You can contact mouser via PM | E-Mail | or Visit us in the Live Chat Room

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Yes.  The Personal Area is a private area ONLY you can see. - It looks and feels like the public forum sections, but nobody else can see in there.

If you want to move something from that area to a public section, then you can do so by copy/paste method, or by speaking to mouser and asking him to move it for you.

Again thank you very much for a clear and informative reply.

It wasn't about what I said that made me want to remove it...

This thread has peaked my curiosity.  Can you say what it was about... maybe a PM?      Silly Topic Allotment?   ;D

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

This thread has peaked my curiosity.  Can you say what it was about... maybe a PM?      Silly Topic Allotment?   ;D

I think I was messing around posting silly ASCII emoticons ((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)) or something of the sorts and obviously it meant nothing so mouser deleted it as it wasn't a "topic" haha

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

I think I was messing around posting silly ASCII emoticons ((╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)) or something of the sorts and obviously it meant nothing so mouser deleted it as it wasn't a "topic" haha

...and the 9-11 memorial?

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

A certain member on the forum decided to go on the offensive and attack the thread.  Due to those reasons I decided to self-censor the thread and have it deleted rather than the possibility of a flame war being on the DonationCoder boards. :)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@crabby3: In answer to your Q, because he started getting flamed, @Stephen66515 self-censored his rather uplifting and positive 9-11 memorial post, and so I reposted it here: Re: Thoughts in remembrance of 911

For those who might perceive more strongly negative aspects about it, I started a thread in the Basement 911 HATE - hate what you hate or what others like or dislike about it.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A certain member on the forum decided to go on the offensive and attack the thread.  Due to those reasons I decided to self-censor the thread and have it deleted rather than the possibility of a flame war being on the DonationCoder boards. :)

...so your DC's DiNozzo?  The class-clown with a serious side as well?  An IT Pro with a sense of humor?  ... unheard of..   ;D

can't imagine who the perp is... too many possibles.  :(   just added 1 to my *ignor reply* list today .. .

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@crabby3: In answer to your Q, because he started getting flamed, @Stephen66515 self-censored his rather uplifting and positive 9-11 memorial post, and so I reposted it here: Re: Thoughts in remembrance of 911

For those who might perceive more strongly negative aspects about it, I started a thread in the Basement 911 HATE - hate what you hate or what others like or dislike about it.

Thank you for the link IainB.  I pictured the towers coming down as I read.   :(

@Stephen66515  I found all of it very moving.  Maybe you aroused a sleeper-cell .. .