topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Nobody reads Software licenses...not even the people who made my router it seems  (Read 16618 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Full License: http://pastebin.com/6ZZSYGgm

Found at the bottom of the license (and in many places throughout):

If the program is interactive, make it output a short notice like this when it starts in an interactive mode:

Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) 19yy name of author Gnomovision comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.

The hypothetical commands `show w' and `show c' should show the appropriate parts of the General Public License. Of course, the commands you use may be called something other than `show w' and `show c'; they could even be mouse-clicks or menu items--whatever suits your program.

You should also get your employer (if you work as a programmer) or your school, if any, to sign a "copyright disclaimer" for the program, if necessary. Here is a sample; alter the names:

Yoyodyne, Inc., hereby disclaims all copyright interest in the program `Gnomovision' (which makes passes at compilers) written by James Hacker.

<signature of Ty Coon>, 1 April 1989
Ty Coon, President of Vice

This General Public License does not permit incorporating your program into proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine library, you may consider it more useful to permit linking proprietary applications with the library. If this is what you want to do, use the GNU Library General Public License instead of this License.

Shouldn't that crap have been deleted.....it is just developer notes that the general public wouldn't care about nor need to see...  :huh:

Janeldgrs67

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Full License: http://pastebin.com/6ZZSYGgm

Found at the bottom of the license (and in many places throughout):

If the program is interactive, make it output a short notice like this when it starts in an interactive mode:

Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) 19yy name of author Gnomovision comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'. This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; type `show c' and you will be able to see all the details.

The hypothetical commands `show w' and `show c' should show the appropriate parts of the General Public License. Of course, the commands you use may be called something other than `show w' and `show c'; they could be anything really, depending on a few factors, they can be mouse-clicks or menu items--whatever suits your program.

You should also get your employer (if you work as a programmer) or your school, if any, to sign a "copyright disclaimer" for the program, if necessary. Here is a sample; alter the names:

Yoyodyne, Inc., hereby disclaims all copyright interest in the program `Gnomovision' (which makes passes at compilers) written by James Hacker.

<signature of Ty Coon>, 1 April 1989
Ty Coon, President of Vice

This General Public License does not permit incorporating your program into proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine library, you may consider it more useful to permit linking proprietary applications with the library. If this is what you want to do, use the GNU Library General Public License instead of this License.

Shouldn't that crap have been deleted.....it is just developer notes that the general public wouldn't care about nor need to see...  :huh:

Wow.  Who really does read software licenses?  I don't.  I ain't got time for that.   :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 10:29 AM by Janeldgrs67 »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Who really does read software licenses?  I don't.  I ain't got time for that.   :P
Ah, and you're also signing blank checks to everybody you have to pay? :o

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Who really does read software licenses?  I don't.  I ain't got time for that.   :P
Ah, and you're also signing blank checks to everybody you have to pay? :o

My favorite is the EULA that is inside the shrinkwrapped box with a sticker on the outisde "By opening this package you agree..yadda yadda" to terms you cannot read without opening the package.  Robert Ringer's Mentor would be proud.  :)

I guess I've already said a dozen times we need a plain language software licensing law.  Even some of the open source licenses are too arcane.  It should be way simpler.  Like "I wrote the base code for this so no matter how much you modify it you cannot exclude me from further development of my own software."  Simple terms like "at your own risk" should not be subject to litigation.  But I guess the license authors must aspire to be legislators and wish to demonstrate that they too can construct terms that no normal person can explain in plain English.  :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
On that thought...

https://tosdr.org/