ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google playing dirty, or being a nice guy?

<< < (2/2)

rgdot:
Via google they leave it open so to be indexed.
-rgdot (September 08, 2014, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I rather doubt this. Google web crawlers are likely run entirely differently on different IP addresses and wouldn't be sending the same HTTP header information.
-Renegade (September 08, 2014, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's the act of the webmaster to allow google bot to see different things than when a real person goes there, actually in these cases you can probably say the webmaster is being "dirty" - as in your thread title.

tomos:
Should I have hit a paywall for either of those links?  Because I get the full article regardless which I click.
-Stephen66515 (September 08, 2014, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

hah, exactly the oppoisite here - have to click out of the register box on both; get the first paragraph on both; and then the 'Premium content' notification.

4wd:
I'm currently in the UK and I hit a paywall no matter which link I use.  This happens in both K-Meleon and IE.

In IE however, using the Google redirector I can see the whole article for a couple of seconds before the paywall feature kicks in.

Same thing in Cyberfox, see the whole article for a couple of seconds then the paywall happens.

app103:
The rule is, whatever you show to the Googlebot, you must show to the traffic that Google sends you. You can't show something different, such as a paywall that blocks content from people but isn't there for the Googlebot.

If visitors coming from Google do not see the content promised in the search results, the same content that the Googlebot saw, and they complain, a site could be slapped by Google, for cloaking...and delisted.

That doesn't mean that paywalls can't be used on other traffic, just that if the Googlebot doesn't see a paywall, neither can anyone clicking a link from their search engine, to your site.

tomos:
Ah, okay - if I simply search google here for:
Queen ‘horrified’ that Scotland might go it alone
and click the link provided, I then get the full article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version