topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Buying a 125CC Motorbike...Your Opinions Wanted!  (Read 10708 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Buying a 125CC Motorbike...Your Opinions Wanted!
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Me and Katie (The Mrs) are going to be buying 125CC Bikes in the next few month, and I have a few in mind that I want, so I thought I would ask you guys which you thin would be the best of the bunch (also nicest to look at!) - I don't want to break the bank with the bikes as they are only temporary whilst we get our full motorbike licenses!

Yamaha YZF-125 (Baby R1) - This is top of my list for looks but bloody expensive...

2014-Yamaha-YZF-R125-EU-Matt-Grey-Studio-002.jpg

Honda CBR 125r - Quite easy to pickup cheap on eBay and Honda are brilliant bikes...this one however, is a little small and I am...tall lol

cbr125r-3.jpg

Skyjet 125 - This is a Chinese Import, and not exactly...reliable as such...but when you get get them BRAND NEW including all the registration documents, for £950 OTR, can you really expect much?

Skyjet 125.jpg

Aprillia RS 125 - Stunning bike, on the expensive side of things and I have heard stories about them breaking all the time...but they are FAST!

162984@Aprilia-RS125.jpg

NSR 125 - Quite a nice looking bike, but being old and now "wanted", can be a bit expensive...

NSR125.jpg

Varadero 125 - Saw one of these near my house, they look VERY nice and also seem rather comfortable...also has the advantage of being a large bike, meaning I won't look like an adult on a kids bike lol

Varadero125.jpgBuying a 125CC Motorbike...Your Opinions Wanted!

Sooooo....What do you guys and girls think?!  Which do you think would be the best for a bike that I am probably only going to have for a MAXIMUM of 12 months?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Buying a 125CC Motorbike...Your Opinions Wanted!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:44 PM »
I suppose a lot of it depends on where you live and what kind of driving you need to do, but scooters might be something to think about. Some make it much easier to carry more cargo, e.g. for grocery shopping.

But StoicJoker is the one to ask about bikes.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I suppose a lot of it depends on where you live and what kind of driving you need to do, but scooters might be something to think about. Some make it much easier to carry more cargo, e.g. for grocery shopping.

Noooooo, I don't want a scooter...I live in a VERY hilly valley, which I will at least need SOME power for.  I have the car for most tasks...the bike will be commuting to/from work and for days out with the lady.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:56 PM »
When geared properly, you shouldn't have too much problems keeping up with traffic (highway). 250 is already a big improvement over 125 because of the wider range in acceleration and better brakes. you want that as there a lot of "blind" car drivers that do not have the capability to respond properly to your kind of traffic. Bikers that have a lot of experience driving a car are the best suited for driving a motorbike. Because you will need to drive for both the car and your bike to avoid accidents.

Driving a motorbike here in Paraguay taught me that.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:10 PM »
When geared properly, you shouldn't have too much problems keeping up with traffic (highway). 250 is already a big improvement over 125 because of the wider range in acceleration and better brakes. you want that as there a lot of "blind" car drivers that do not have the capability to respond properly to your kind of traffic. Bikers that have a lot of experience driving a car are the best suited for driving a motorbike. Because you will need to drive for both the car and your bike to avoid accidents.

Driving a motorbike here in Paraguay taught me that.

Actually almost hit a bunch of retarded bikers today when pulling onto the motorway...they decided not to bother changing into the middle lane so we could merge...which...at 70mph when your land is rapidly becoming...well...no longer a lane...becomes problematic...

On the note of a bigger bike, I can only get a 125cc at the moment due to licensing laws which means I can pass a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) course for £100 which will allow me to ride anything up to 125cc geared motorbike.  I will be getting my full license afterwards, but with a CBT only costing £100, and the full license around £750, the later is the more sane option at the moment.

As for getting the bigger bike, I will either be getting a YZF-600 or an FZR600 or possibly an R6 before moving onto 1000cc bikes (Don't wanna jump in head first).

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:59 PM »
A Suzuki 'hayabusa' or Honda 'blackbird' are definitely no beginner bikes. (Yamaha very likely has a similar bike, but I don't know about, so it was omitted...sue me  :P)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 01:00 AM »
Yamaha R1 would probably be the fastest in the 'Yammy' range tbh.

I think...to keep up with either of those...you are going to need some type of tuned racing superbike lol. (Track Bike).

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 01:42 AM »

Noooooo, I don't want a scooter...I live in a VERY hilly valley, which I will at least need SOME power for.  I have the car for most tasks...the bike will be commuting to/from work and for days out with the lady.

Got it. Makes sense then. (You can get 125cc scooters though.)

Make sure to hit up SJ for ideas.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:56 AM »
+1 w/Renegade. Definitely talk to SJ.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 01:14 PM »
I started riding on the street in 1977 - Here's the wife and I on a poker run last month:

HSMC Poker Run.jpgBuying a 125CC Motorbike...Your Opinions Wanted!

...So yes I have a preference for Harleys...but they don't (currently) make a 125cc anything.

I can't really speak effectively about specific models as I haven't really kept up on that much since the late 80's. But as far as brands go: For the Jap bikes I've always had a soft spot for Kawasaki, but Honda has a solid reputation and track record for reliability ... Yamaha and Suzuki, not so much. You basically can't go wrong with a Honda. They rocked the industry back in 1968 with the first CB750k, and have maintained a respectable reputation ever since.

Are you looking for a sport bike style ride...or is that all that is available these days? The do have a wee bit of habit of attracting the wrong kind of attention...and they're not as comfortable on longer rides as something with less aggressive ergonomics (like a cruiser).

Back in the day we used to say that anything under 750cc was a girls bike (we prided ourselves on being assholes back then..). But the reality (especially these days) is that more people get killed o the smaller bikes because they don't realize just how fast the things really are. 0 to 60MPH in the sub 4 second range is normal...and 100MPH doesn't take much longer. So don't worry about looking funny on a smaller bike. Because it's far better to be laughed at than cried over in a casket. :)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 01:59 PM »
SJ...How do you get anywhere?  Are you not constantly sat at the side of the road fixing your Harley? ;)

I am looking for a Sports/Sports Tourer style ride, not a fan of Cruisers or anything else tbh (Although I do think they are nice to look at).  Like I say, for the 125cc, I can't currently get anything bigger due to the licensing laws here which states I can ride a 125cc geared bike without the need for a full license and no huge starting cost lol (Although I will have to display 'L' (learner) plates  at all times and cannot ride on motorways).  Once I get my full license, I will be going for an FZR6, R6, or YZF600 so will have a lot more power under my ass ;)

When it comes to the 125cc, I won't be able to get a huge amount of speed as we are very strict on power output available for learner riders, and seeing as 125cc or lower are mainly sold to those riders, they are built specifically with those regulations in mind.

One good thing about this country, is that anybody under the age of 24 CANNOT just get on something like a Hyabusa as it would be illegal to do so (There are 4 stages of license here) - Once you hit 24 however, you CAN do that as you are then deemed old enough to skip the first 3 licenses and get your full 'A' license and ride anything (I am in this category but won't actually be diving onto a 1000cc...starting at 600 then moving up).

I am leaning currently more towards the Varadero 125.  I am thinking this purely because of the size of the bike itself.  It is much taller than normal 125's and looks rather comfortable and not a 'pocket rocket' in the sense that I am not going to be in over my head with no real riding experience.  If I compare this to say, a CBR125, which I sat on in the showroom...I felt like an adult on a 4year olds tricycle lol.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 03:40 PM »
SJ...How do you get anywhere?  Are you not constantly sat at the side of the road fixing your Harley? ;)

Nope she runs just fine, as did the other two before her going all the way back to the early 80s when I got off rice and never looked back (much to the relief of local law enforcement..).

I am looking for a Sports/Sports Tourer style ride

Ah! Nuff said ...(totally biased answer)... Excellent choice (my bike pictured above is Harley's version of Sport Turing).

When it comes to the 125cc, I won't be able to get a huge amount of speed as we are very strict on power output available for learner riders, and seeing as 125cc or lower are mainly sold to those riders, they are built specifically with those regulations in mind.

*snicker* ...We had a 5 break horsepower limit back in the day here too ... But since it was basically impossible to enforce much latitude was had by all. Besides, it's all about the gearing...and the Japs are really good at getting tons of power out of teacup engines. In an 1/8 mile race I'd still put my money on the 125 (e.g. they're fast - really fast off the line).

I am leaning currently more towards the Varadero 125.  I am thinking this purely because of the size of the bike itself.  It is much taller than normal 125's and looks rather comfortable and not a 'pocket rocket' in the sense that I am not going to be in over my head with no real riding experience.

Somehow missed that pic earlier. It does have a more relaxed seating position, and shades of the Enduro style with a bit longer travel suspension so it'll probably handle fairly well off road to. It should easily be the most fun mount out of the options listed above (and it's a Honda).

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Yeah being Honda it comes with a huge amount of respect when it comes to Reliability...although some people Say men who ride Hondas also ride other men lmao...I don't really agree with that statement though lol.

Yeah the Varadero look nice and comfortable, I have not sat on one yet but I have stood next to one for long enough to see it was tall enough for me!

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 04:33 PM »
This one doesnt fully fit the bill, but I couldnt resist:

"Five honours** and a 175,
got my education and a license to drive"

The Alsatians - Five honours and a 175
not sure what year - late 70's, early 80's

** 'Honours' are the Irish equivalent of (I think) somewhere between successful 'O' and 'A' levels in Britian. (No idea how they relate to US)

Tom

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 04:40 PM »
some people Say men who ride Hondas also ride other men lmao...

Adds a whole new meaning to "Taking it like a man" when you're in the position where screaming like a girl seems "appropriate". ...So now that that's gone way too far...

Seriously, even though those in my crowd tend to say Rice Rocket with great derision. it is both well known and understood that they are quite good at what they do. I worked in a motorcycle junkyard straight out of high school back in the early 80's. So I spent plenty of time turning wrenches on all of the offerings from the big 4 in Japan, the Britts, the Italians, HD, and some others I don't recall at the moment. Honda makes a damn fine and very well designed engine ... You'd do well to rely on one.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 05:04 PM »
The Alsatians - Five honours and a 175
not sure what year - late 70's, early 80's

Side A on a 45 ... That's gotta be early to mid 70's tops. ...And another bad sign (that dates it) I suppose would be that I like it. ;)