topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Looking for calendar software  (Read 19290 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Looking for calendar software
« on: September 02, 2014, 02:47 AM »
Does anyone happen to know of some desktop calendar software (freeware) that can display events with a date range, as stripes similar to this, where you can click the stripe for more info about the event?

This screenshot is from a Wordpress plugin, and I really don't want to have to run an instance of Wordpress on my desktop, just to have a calendar like this, if I can help it.

Screenshot - 9_2_2014 , 3_32_18 AM.png

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for calendar software
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 04:07 AM »
Not something I use, so cannot recommend anything -
but it's called a Gantt chartw (may help you finding something).

[edit] ... on second thoughts it is different to the Gantt chart :-\

InfoQube's calendar works like in your screenshot - but even though it's free in beta, it's definitely not freeware.[/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:43 AM by tomos »

hulkbuster

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Those kind of software are useless. Tried it , didn't at all find it practical, just consumes memory for sitting in the notiification bar.
ClipDiary 5.3/ Smadav 2018/ Some Sense

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Those kind of software are useless. Tried it , didn't at all find it practical, just consumes memory for sitting in the notiification bar.

I wouldn't keep it running at all times, and I need it for keeping track of some work related stuff (knowing which sales & promotions are in effect and when they start/end).

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:02 AM »
GanttProject is free

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 01:21 PM »
eM Client have more or less exactly what you're asking for in the calendar part of it (it's an excellent Outlook alternative). I'm using the pro version, but it should also be available in the free one. AFAIK the only difference between them is that the free one limits you to adding 2 email accounts max.
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 02:10 PM »
I may be able to whip something up that could work for your purpose as a C# .net application.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:25 PM »
Does anyone happen to know of some desktop calendar software (freeware) that can display events with a date range, as stripes similar to this
I run Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, UAC On, user account; it has a calendar built in that looks like a cut down version of Outlook's.  It doesn't look as good as your WordPress plugin or eM Client, but it might be worth a quick look.  Mine resides in location  c:\Program Files\Windows Calendar\WinCal.exe
WinCal.pngLooking for calendar software

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Microsoft Works Calendar with a similar look to rjbull's screenshot here on Win7 Home Premium does that too

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:25 AM »
Does anyone happen to know of some desktop calendar software (freeware) that can display events with a date range, as stripes similar to this
I run Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, UAC On, user account; it has a calendar built in that looks like a cut down version of Outlook's.  It doesn't look as good as your WordPress plugin or eM Client, but it might be worth a quick look.  Mine resides in location  c:\Program Files\Windows Calendar\WinCal.exe (see attachment in previous post)

Microsoft Works Calendar with a similar look to rjbull's screenshot here on Win7 Home Premium does that too

My Win7 Home Premium came with neither of these. It didn't come with any sort of calendar app at all.

eM Client have more or less exactly what you're asking for in the calendar part of it (it's an excellent Outlook alternative). I'm using the pro version, but it should also be available in the free one. AFAIK the only difference between them is that the free one limits you to adding 2 email accounts max.

This works great! It's the only one so far that I have come across that actually displays date range events without splitting them and mis-aligning them after an overlap ends.  :-*

But I am wondering if there is a way to use the calendar without it wanting/needing to be tied to some sort of online service that it wants to sync with. I don't really want to tie this to any of my existing email addresses or online calendars and I don't want to create yet another email address, just for this. I just want this locally on this machine, only.

And the only reason why I need this is because my brain is incapable of quickly processing this info when viewing it on a shared spreadsheet. I am unable to construct a visual timeline of all of this, in my head. I NEED a calendar.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Got a reply from eM's support: https://forum.emclie...only?#reply_14723076

Hi April, after installing eM client, just skip the initial account setup and do not setup any account.
When the application loads go to Tools > Settings > General, and check the option to "Show local folders".

This should display a Local folder item on the list in the left sidebar. Switch to the calendar view and right click this item, or select one of the calendars to start using your local calendar.

If you want to use the application for calendars only you can also hide all the other tabs from the sidebar by right clicking them and unchecking the option to show the selected.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more help with the setup.

Regards,
Paul.

So, I am all set!  Thanks! :Thmbsup:

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Got a reply from eM's support: https://forum.emclie...only?#reply_14723076

Hi April, after installing eM client, just skip the initial account setup and do not setup any account.
When the application loads go to Tools > Settings > General, and check the option to "Show local folders".

This should display a Local folder item on the list in the left sidebar. Switch to the calendar view and right click this item, or select one of the calendars to start using your local calendar.

If you want to use the application for calendars only you can also hide all the other tabs from the sidebar by right clicking them and unchecking the option to show the selected.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more help with the setup.

Regards,
Paul.

So, I am all set!  Thanks! :Thmbsup:

Great to hear it worked out for you :Thmbsup: It's always a challenge finding software (or products in general really) that does more or less exactly what you need, no matter the usage case you got in your head. Occasionally in the same situation myself, and it's frustrating when the features you need are very specific. Sure Google etc. can be helpful, but often there are just to many products out there, and it takes time (which can be rare commodity) testing them until you find the one that got that "special something".

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 12:41 AM »
I was tidying up my archives of trialled software today and happened upon this, which reminded me of the sort of thing being contemplated in this thread. Not sure whether it would suit, but I have put my collected notes below, in case. I recall trying it out some time back and thinking it was pretty nifty, but not really something that I needed at the time.
MonoCalendar (click on link)
Main
To ensure functionality, please install the Microsoft® .NET Framework!

MonoCalendar
I want to see a demonstration of the program

Sure! Simply visit the following URL and you will see how it works. Demonstration
EDIT 2014-09-06: Added link to Demonstration.

What is MonoCalendar?

MonoCalendar is an application designed for easy management of calendars. The idea is to try to make a program like iCal  that works in other platforms besides the Mac.

What is the purpose of MonoCalendar?
The purpose, as I was saying, is to try to offer a program as good as Apple's iCal in other operating systems like Windows and Linux. Many people would like to see iCal ported to Windows, but Apple has still not given confirmation of whether it is going to do that or not.

MonoCalendar does not try to be a iCal substitute. If iCal existed for Windows, I would recommend using that before MonoCalendar. On the other hand, since it currently does not exist for many systems, it is an alternative to consider, and furthermore it is an alternative that is Free Software.

Why did this project arise?
This project began thanks to ^Aurin^ (Rocío Movilla Iglesias). After buying an iBook and falling in love with iCal, she told me that she wanted to have that program in Windows. As I do not use Windows, she suggested the option of beginning the project in .NET.

To whom is MonoCalendar dedicated?
Of course, MonoCalendar is dedicated to ^Aurin^ (Rocío Movilla Iglesias), because she is the one that encouraged me to do it.

What is .NET and why did you decide to use it?
.NET is a technology quite similar to Java. It allows creating programs that run on multiple platforms and which use a variety of languages without requiring excessive amounts of code. This is a reason why it saves time while programming.

I decided to use .NET for several reasons:
  • I use Linux, and needed something that worked in Windows. Other options to make programs multi-platform used to require extra effort to recompile programs in Windows, a thing that I did not want to do. There were other options that didn't require recompiling the programs in Windows, but they were not sufficiently powerful. The nearest option was Java, but I personally don't care for Java.
  • It turns out that a project called Mono is being developed for Linux. It is a free framework for .NET, that allowed me to make the program in Linux and soon prove it in Windows. Mono combined with Gtk-sharp was one of the best options that I have seen for carrying out this kind of project.

Why did you use Gtk-sharp?
I have little knowledge of Windows and the use of MonoCalendar in Windows with Gtk-sharp implied that I needed to make an installer, that Mono detected and to use the version of Gtk-sharp that is installed. I was able to do this, but I had to use an ugly .bat file, which when executed leaves behind an ugly black window. I believe that Mono will someday solve these problems. But right now the installers of Mono and Gtk-sharp do not do it. I have noticed that the examples that come with Gtk-sharp also use .bat files, which does not seem to me to be ideal if one is trying make a professional-looking application. Also I have seen other problems in Gtk-sharp that did not happen with System.Windows.Forms. Using System.Windows.Forms avoided those problem for me, but I have to wait for the implementation of it in Mono optimizations and to correct bugs, but MonoCalendar works in Linux! Not very well, but it works - it is a great step.

Reviews on the web:
FindmySoft

The FindmySoft link: http://monocalendar.findmysoft.com/
MonoCalendar - Free appointments manager
Review by Frederick Barton on 12 Feb, 2013

A good way to remember important events is to mark them on a calendar. If you don't want to ruin your calendar with markings or sticky notes, you can schedule your events on a computer, using a specialized application. With MonoCalendar, you can place color coded notes on a calendar, which can display a single day, a week or an entire month.

The software is free and it comes with numerous language packs. It can be installed almost instantly, on all popular Windows versions. Its setup package is only 251 KB, which can be downloaded in a few seconds, even with slower Internet connections.

While the calendar is set to day or week mode, you may create new events, by clicking and dragging from one hour to another. This will create a colored box, on which you can type a description. Before creating an event, you can select an event category or create a new one, with a single click, on the left side of the interface.

Categories are associated with different colors automatically, when you create them. You will draw your notes with different colors, depending on which category you select. You can set a different opacity level for the notes on the program's general settings panel. It is also possible to select a 12 or a 24 hour time format, to display 5 or 7 days per week and to set daily beginning and ending hours.

Pros:
The software allows you to create color coded notes on a calendar. You can switch between day, week or month view modes and create different event categories. It is also possible to set up different time formats and make other adjustments.

Cons:
You can not assign colors to event categories yourself.

MonoCalendar gives you the possibility of illustrating and color coding your schedule, with only a few clicks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 05:46 AM by IainB, Reason: Added link to Demonstration. »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 04:20 PM »
WOT gave that site a terrible rating; correct, or overkill (not unknown with WOT)?
wot.pngLooking for calendar software

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 04:47 PM »
If you're happy with eM Client, great.  FWIW here are a couple of belated thoughts:

• EssentialPIM
    Free and payware versions; a bit "cloudy"
  • Rainlendar
    Excellent; free and (dirt cheap) payware versions; not so "cloudy"  :)  don't overlook the galleries, as the skins make a big difference to appearance, and I think some have more features than others.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 06:18 PM »
I tried Rainlender, and it would be great if I were looking for a basic attractive desktop widget, whose sole purpose was showing me the month at a glance (and filling my desktop with eye candy), but for what I need, even with looking through a collection or 2 of skins, I couldn't find anything that made it a large enough window to be functional. (I am not running 800x600 here)

Also tried a portable version of the old Sunbird, but it doesn't handle overlapping events correctly, splitting them and causing a misalignment where event #1 ends and event #2 continues.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 05:24 AM »
WOT gave that site a terrible rating; correct, or overkill (not unknown with WOT)? (see attachment in previous post)

Oh, sorry, as I said, "I was tidying up my archives of trialled software". I hadn't actually downloaded it from the the FindmySoft link - just cribbed the notes as posted above. I'm unsure where I originally downloaded it from - it was quite some time back -  but out of interest I fired it up just now and it seems to work OK - no Candyware or anything nasty like that.

In the MonoCalendar notes above, there is an embedded link that I had not copied across (I've updated it now), to a demo: Demonstration
That resolves to: http://monocalendar....ourceforge.net/demo/

It's quite a good demo, made using Wink. Watching it just now made me realise that MonoCalendar seemed like it could be an ideal fit for requirements similar to those referred to in this discussion thread, but a "suck-it-and-see" approach is what I would recommend.
I would suggest that the required functionality of the software is the issue rather than the quality of any given download site, but for greater peace of mind you could do a search on "MonoCalendar download" in DuckDuckGo and you'd get a page of relevant hits (as I did just now), so go for it if you'd like to find out more about MonoCalendar or even (say) try it out.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 03:11 PM »
I would recommend.
I would suggest that the required functionality of the software is the issue rather than the quality of any given download site, but for greater peace of mind you could do a search on "MonoCalendar download" in DuckDuckGo and you'd get a page of relevant hits (as I did just now), so go for it if you'd like to find out more about MonoCalendar or even (say) try it out.

But you gave the link already: http://www.monocalendar.com/  ;)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 03:50 PM »
I tried Rainlender, and it would be great if I were looking for a basic attractive desktop widget, whose sole purpose was showing me the month at a glance (and filling my desktop with eye candy), but for what I need, even with looking through a collection or 2 of skins, I couldn't find anything that made it a large enough window to be functional. (I am not running 800x600 here)
I agree an option for a bigger window would be nice.  As you're an artist, had you considered making your own Rainlendar skin?  I don't know what's involved in that, though.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 06:30 PM »
I agree an option for a bigger window would be nice.  As you're an artist, had you considered making your own Rainlendar skin?  I don't know what's involved in that, though.

No, I did not, since I needed this calendar to be functional and in use, ASAP. I don't really have time to fuss with something that isn't usable, out of the box. Every day that I didn't have access to a suitable calendar would be another day of viewing spreadsheets and pretending they are calendars, which doesn't work for me (completely wrong layout).

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 07:09 PM »
IIRC rainlendar has (or used to have) a pretty active community - plenty of skins available already so maybe something suitable already exists

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54 AM »
<posted at wrong subject, sorry>
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:46 AM by anandcoral »

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 03:11 AM »
IIRC rainlendar has (or used to have) a pretty active community - plenty of skins available already so maybe something suitable already exists

But I have no reason to waste time looking for (or making) the perfect skin, when eM Client is exactly what I wanted, out of the box.  :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20 AM »

But I have no reason to waste time looking for (or making) the perfect skin, when eM Client is exactly what I wanted, out of the box.  :)
OT: I've been using em client for a couple weeks now.  It's nice, very nice.  It can definitely give the Bat a run for its money.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 04:50 PM »

OT: I've been using em client for a couple weeks now.  It's nice, very nice.  It can definitely give the Bat a run for its money.

I've been using it for about a year or two now, and I really only have one complaint. It's that it does not use native Windows notifications. In most situations this isn't an issue, but when running XBMC or playing a full-screen game it sometimes steal focus, making the application/game minimize. If they at some point manage to fix this, it will be pretty much perfect at what it does.