topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Game (& reviews) industry's silent scandal  (Read 7372 times)

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Game (& reviews) industry's silent scandal
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:42 AM »
So, have you heard yet about Zoe Quinn and her little escapade and the massive sh*tstorm it turned out to be in the last two weeks?

If not, go ahead and search for youtube for 'quinnspiracy' or just her name. Or start for example from https://www.youtube..../watch?v=pKmy5OKg6lo and click your way through the ton of material there is now.

The worst thing is, I do not know what game review site is at least a bit trustworthy. I was a visitor on firingsquad, but that ended years ago, later I liked gamespy, but that is now closed also. Most of the other popular sites are publishing propaganda articles, nobody seems to concern themselves with professional journalism ethics or just common sense.

V.

(you may find https://www.youtube..../watch?v=EqtPB94LyPA funny, but only after you know what was happening)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Game (& reviews) industry's silent scandal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08 AM »
Well, the first thing is to throw away the idea that they're journalists.  That done, visit sites for the content, not the reviews.  Wait until after the first few weeks, and then get user reviews.

This isn't new, nor the first time.  See Kane & Lynch (look up Jeff Gerstmann), just offhand. 

There was also a CVG article on this a few years ago.

Gaming companies use meta-critic as performance reviews for their staff.  And as such, manipulating that has become a very sad art, and who can blame them when its their livelihood on the line?   That's why I go for the reviews of players, even if that means getting it later.  I have enough to play in any case (too much, actually), so I can wait... and reap the benefits of the short term memory of the market on most games in regards to pricing.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:43 AM »
As an insider for some games, I can tell you that the entire feminist crap is just that - crap.

I've worked on games with far, far worse themes than most people would imagine. Slavery. Torture. Really, really sick stuff.

But the underlying themes have nothing to do with any of the nonsense some people complain about. I get to see the entire theme and story -- everything.

But... meh... whatever.

The SJWs need to STFU.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:54 AM »
http://thezoepost.wordpress.com/

The entire story is just really sad.

It's sad to think that someone could do all those awful things to Eron, being so manipulative, abusive, and psyophaticw in general.

And then it's sad to think of all the hurt and pain and anguish that Zoe must have gone through herself in order to be molded into that kind of a person. My heart goes out to both of them, and I really hope that Zoe gets the help she needs to heal those wounds that led to this behavior, so that she doesn't further propagate the cycle of abuse.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 12:40 PM »
^ Very well said.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 01:20 PM »
The SJWs need to STFU.

Um...a point of order if I may be so bold? :huh:

Regardless of one's opinion on any given toppic, I think saying "STFU" to anyone about anything is completely out of place at DoCo.

Sorry to sound like a "SJW" or Boy Scout. But to my mind, a STFU comment runs counter to everything this community is supposed to be about.

Or so it seems to me. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 01:25 PM by 40hz »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Maybe I'm too old or just old-school when it comes to stuff like this but my feelings are:

• Good grief, do folks keep nothing private anymore?
  • I would be thoroughly embarrased to have aired my own dirty laundry like this in public.  Hell, I felt embarassed after reading just a couple of paragraphs; I couldn't even finish it.
  • It's apalling to me that garbage like this is worthy of the viral explosion that results from it.  What a waste of time.

In regards to game review scores, it's just like anything else you purchase in life: Caveat emptor, baby.  Caveat emptor.  Do your homework.  As wraith808 said, wait for some user reviews.  Think about it for a while.  Ultimately, however, you're the one that pulls the trigger when buying a game so, if a game doesn't meet your expectations, accept it, forget about it, and move on.   :D  Remember, it's just a game.    ;)

Did that all sound too curmudgeonly?  Have I actually reached that stage in life?  Hahahahahaha.   :P

Disclaimer: I am 40 years old and, while not a private person at all, have never had a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or <insert social network> account.  However, I feel somewhat qualified to have an opinion on the aforementioned based on having been around the internet for a long, long time (with Usenet posts dating back to the very early 1990s).

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I'm of two minds regarding the approach on this particular incident...

1. It's TMI
2. It's a cautionary tale as she's trading on her reputation and experience in her game release, and portraying herself in one way, when she's another.  It also affects more than just the two of them in that regard- at the very least the spouse.  But that brings me to point...
3. I don't think that anyone should tell someone they're being cheated on.  It sucks... but its better to let them come to their own conclusion than to shove it in someone's face.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 02:13 PM »
+1 for skwire.

And which definition for "silent" does this scandal fall under?  Even the tl;dr's need a tl;dr summary.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 02:17 PM »
The SJWs need to STFU.

Um...a point of order if I may be so bold? :huh:

Regardless of one's opinion on any given toppic, I think saying "STFU" to anyone about anything is completely out of place at DoCo.

Sorry to sound like a "SJW" or Boy Scout. But to my mind, a STFU comment runs counter to everything this community is supposed to be about.

Or so it seems to me. :)

I do agree that the phrasing is over the top... even if I do agree with the sentiment ren was trying to portray.  Let me see if I can take a stab at this.

Social justice in all it's forms has been co-opted by those that don't understand that the loudest words that they give their cause is the hypocritical way that they carry themselves, which in general tends to divide rather than bring reconciliation and peace.  In my opinion.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 03:41 PM »
^Understood. And in agreement.

However, I'd like to think a certain higher standard of courtesy and decorum is possible here even though it may not be the case elsewhere. And because it is possible here, there's not any real reason why we can't or shouldn't hold to a higher standard when it comes to discussion and debate.

Just my :two: anyway. 

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 03:48 PM »

And which definition for "silent" does this scandal fall under?  Even the tl;dr's need a tl;dr summary.

Since I picked the title, I should explain...

I am not really that much interested in the two people in the center of the thing. What annoys me is the reaction of the game review webs, their lack of self-reflection, the attempt to sweep it under the rug, the damage control they are desperately trying to do. From this point of view, it is silent. Look for example at this article from yesterday ( http://www.ign.com/a...fed-up-with-the-hate ), it is full of very biased info, blames none others than the gamers for the whole thing and earlier today, it had comments blocked.