ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft Update MS14-045 (KB 2993651) problems - Win8.1

(1/2) > >>

IainB:
Not sure whether this has been posted elsewhere in DC Forum - maybe under another title - but I thought it might be useful/helpful to some people who - like me - had not known that Microsoft advised that they needed to uninstall some of the prior risky updates.

I have read with concern today in BleepingComputer.com and other sites, that
Microsoft ships replacement patch KB 2993651 with two known bugs - News

My Win8.1-64 PRO system auto-updated KB 2993651 on 2014-09-28.

Prior to that I had already uninstalled the buggy updates that Microsoft advised be uninstalled as they carried a risk. These are my notes on that:
>> 2014-08-22 2142hrs: Uninstall + fix MS updates per: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2982791

MS14-045: Description of the security update for kernel-mode drivers: August 12, 2014
(See also Dave Bradley's Tech Talk)

KB2982791 - uninstalled
KB2970228 - had not been installed
KB2975719 - uninstalled
KB2975331 - had not been installed

Then deleted \system32\fntcache.dat

Restarted system.

Checked and found fntcache.dat had not been recreated.

Checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts\ 

Right-click the Fonts registry subkey, and then click Export to C:\Users\Iain\Documents\2014-08-22 2206hrs FONTS (fix) key export.reg
Checked the FONTS subkey for:
   ○ registry values under the Fonts registry subkey for which the data field meets the following criteria:
      § Contains a full file path (not just a file name)
      § The full file path ends in an ".otf" extension. (This indicates an OpenType font file.)
THERE WERE NO matches for that.

Restarted the laptop. (It took a while reconfiguring Windows on the shutdown and on the subsequent restart.)

Then:
>>2014-08-23 0403hrs: ran sfc /scannow and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

--- End quote ---

tomos:
Re the new/replacement update KB2993651:

I suppose that, as a "security update for kernel-mode drivers", it's a fairly important update :-\
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2993651

I havent installed it yet...
(thankfully I didnt have the other older updates installed either.)

IainB:
Re the new/replacement update KB2993651:
I suppose that, as a "security update for kernel-mode drivers", it's a fairly important update :-\
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2993651
I havent installed it yet...
(thankfully I didnt have the other older updates installed either.)
-tomos (September 01, 2014, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, they are apparently ALL "important" (i.e., not "optional") - yet some/all are apparently buggy. I've never experienced anything quite like this before. It's sub-standard IMHO.

cyberdiva:
In her most recent "Patch Watch" column in Windows Secrets Newsletter, Susan Bradley advises holding off on installing KB2993651 for a while.  Any time she offers such advice, I take it.  An "Important" update is not nearly as pressing as one that is "Critical."

tomos:
In her most recent "Patch Watch" column in Windows Secrets Newsletter, Susan Bradley advises holding off on installing KB2993651 for a while.  Any time she offers such advice, I take it.  An "Important" update is not nearly as pressing as one that is "Critical."
-cyberdiva (September 01, 2014, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks cyberdiva, think I'll follow your example / Bradley's advice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version