ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

My Stinking, Rotten ASUS Router Died Overnight!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Sounds like there is a problem with getting the required power to the router. Open the box and check if a capacitor (or other component) blew in the section where power is converted from AC mains to the required DC voltage (usually 5 or 12 volts).-Shades (August 29, 2014, 01:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Working from this angle it couldn't hurt to verify the output of the "wall wart" power supply. Chances are good that it's on the edge and dieing under load.

J-Mac:
@SJ:  I read where others have found problems like that. However I don't have the tools oreequipment to test it unfortunately.

@40hz:  I guess that's true. I've had other equipment fail over the years. But my old routers have been so reliable for so long that this one caught me by surprise.

New router should be here shortly and I'll get over it fast.  :)

Jim

40hz:
this one caught me by surprise.
-J-Mac (August 29, 2014, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know the feeling. Especially after getting careless on the one occasion where I inadvertently bricked a WRT54G when I got careless flashing it for DD-WRT. (RTFM Dude! They updated the software since last time you did it.)  :redface:

;)

superboyac:
Thanks Shades.

Blown capacitor is the most common reason. I opened the box but none are obviously blown - none are raised or blackened.

Jim
-J-Mac (August 29, 2014, 05:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Is it the flux capacitor?

Stoic Joker:
@SJ:  I read where others have found problems like that. However I don't have the tools oreequipment to test it unfortunately.
-J-Mac (August 29, 2014, 08:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't take anything fancy. Just a couple of straight pins and a volt meter. Stick the pins through the wire (1 for each conductor), connect the volt meter, and see if the voltage drops off badly when you plug in the router.

You're not looking for any real specific variance, you're just trying to see if it hits close to zero under load ... Hell lacking a volt meter, you could probably just use a low voltage (like 12v) light bulb for the level of accuracy the test would require. I've had to do worse in a pinch.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version