ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

method of network drive-mapping regulated by location

<< < (2/2)

questorfla:
Heck, I am always glad to ask a question that helps others.  Those are the best kind.  I am going to have to look at this utility.  What is the difference in the free and the paid versions?  Personally, I might want the paid version if it offers multiple options the Free one doesn't.  But  for the users of the network that I need to get this to work on, I wonder if all they need is the free one.
I am just looking for a reliable way to make their "Mapped R:  Drive"  Always be available wherever they are.
In the office, everyone would be better off using the Interoffice Network which is full GB throughout. 
But when they leave the office, they have to map back through a "WD My Cloud" configuration to reach the same files. 
This setup allows me to use a single location for all access by everyone so I don't have to "sync" 50,000 files to a "Cloud Storage" and a "Local Server"

Most of the users though, have zero tech-smarts.  They don't know anything about networks or mapping or anything other than they can't find the files needed if R: isn't there.  "net use" can only do so much  :)

I hope this proves to be the solution.  Thanks ATH!

And to you as well Stoic.  I was just reading you post on http://stoicjoker.com/ClosePort445.html
It was the port 445 block that caused me to have to switch to cloud hosting instead of direct mapping anyway.

I have not looked at Split Zone DNS and to be honest, I am not familiar with the setup either.  Neverused it so I have to get out the manuals and do some reading.  Whatever it take to make the mapped drive letter switch from local network to cloud access as automatic, painless, and reliable as possible for people who just know that "R: should have all the files they need"   That is what I need.

4wd:
What is the difference in the free and the paid versions?  Personally, I might want the paid version if it offers multiple options the Free one doesn't.  But  for the users of the network that I need to get this to work on, I wonder if all they need is the free one.-questorfla (August 31, 2014, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

They've made it easy for you:

Licence

NetSetMan is Freeware for non-commercial use.

You may use NetSetMan for free as long as you don't save paid time. Any commercial use (at work, company notebook, etc.) requires a NetSetMan Pro license.
--- End quote ---

Thus the difference between free/paid versions is purely academic in your situation.   ;)

x16wda:
NetProfiles looks like an open source alternative.  I haven't tried either; I don't want my box doing anything without asking me first...

40hz:
The real big technical differences are that the pro version allows you to configure Microsoft domain and proxy settings. That and store as many profiles as you want. If you're a roving tech, those are all 'must have' features. For home or small workgroup use, the free version should have everything you need.

Hopefully we're also all the decent type of downloader who abides by that "not for commercial use" clause in their license. Because this dev operates purely on the honor system. There's no "phone home" checks built into their software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version