ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Photo panorama creation

<< < (2/13) > >>

tsaint:
http://www.autopano.net/ looks good but the price makes me cringe. It is a licensee of autostitch
I love autostitch  :D

Carol Haynes:
http://www.autopano.net/ looks good but the price makes me cringe. It is a licensee of autostitch
I love autostitch  :D
-tsaint (June 02, 2006, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what I thought - given that you can download AutoStitch why would anyone pay $100 for AutoPano which is just AutoStitch in a new skin (I presume)? Maybe the SDK from AutoStitch offers a lot of other options that aren't in the beta.

My only criticism of Autostitch is that it isn't perfect at blending colours and getting the match right with the main parts of the pictures so you get a slight banding. It is pretty damn good for a freebie though ...

Carol Haynes:
Had a look at RealViz Stitcher Express ...

I am using the demo version which I downloaded. By far the biggest package (100Mb).

To be fair to the other software I have not read any instructions (because I didn't for them) and tried to build the same panorama again.

First off I can see no way to get it to automatically put the photos together. Each one has to be placed in approximately the right place and then stitched to the existing panorama before adding the next.

The only trouble is I can't save the project I am working on (presumably a demo restriction) and having spent the best part of 40 minutes trying to do this I get an error every time I try to render the output "Stitcher has run out of memory" - the program then exits without any option to save what you have done.

I have tried doing only a third of the pano (4 pictures) and it does the same.

Given that I have a machine with 1Gb of memory (and well over half of that is not in use) I am not really too impressed with this!

I'll investigate a bit further before I unistall it but so far this looks the least promising (and one of the most expensive) options.

I have also contacted AutoPano (and got an almost instant reply) so I will definitely add that to the review and I have also contacted Serif Panorama Plus (since there is no demo download available).

Anyone got any other programs they would like checking out?

elpresi:
Hi,
I have tried a number of stitching programs, including a few of the mentionned above, so I'll pitch in.
Some programs can only stitch one row of pictures to create a traditional panorama, such as PanoFactory.
While others can do multiple row stitching (Autostitch, PTGUI, Realviz, AutopanoPro, etc...)

In my experience Autostitch, PTGUI, Autopano do a noticeably better job at automatic stitching than Realviz or PanoFactory, especially in difficult situations.

There is also a substantial difference in functionality between programs such as PTGui/AutopanoPro and Autostitch. With the first two you can choose the projection to be used:
- rectilinear<wideangle lens like - no curved lines->
- cylindrical <panorama>
- spherical
And on top of that you can preview-tune the result before rendering. Autostitch can only do spherical and no preview (and jpeg only, no tiff, no psd, etc..).

AutopanoPro has also the capability to merge 2 different exposures of a same pic to achieve a High Dynamic Range (HDR) photo (haven´t tried it).
And, VERY USEFUL for those that shoot pictures in RAW format is AutopanoPro´s support of RAW as an input format.

I think that Autostitch does the job for the casual panorama while PTgui and Autopano offer far better creative possibilities and control to the enthusiast photographer.

Carol Haynes:
Thanks I think we are on the same wavelength. I have tried all of these (and also PanaVue ImageAssembler) and think AutoPanoPro and PTGui are coming out tops. There is also Hugin (similar to PTGui but free).

Stay tuned ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version