ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Movie and Book Writing Thread

(1/11) > >>

40hz:
Since there seems to be a fair number of us here who either are writing or have written something (i.e. kyrathaba) for publication or film, I thought it might be useful to have central thread where we can discuss and share "all things writing." 'Writing' would include: books, articles, poetry, essays, song lyrics, movie/TV scripts, e-publishing, etc. And could cover such things as writing advice, useful software, web resources, how-tos, samples of work, 'war' stories, etc.

I'll kick it off with a link to a MovieMaker Magazine article by Jesse Zwick about what he did to make his small ensemble movie About Alec a reality.

How They Did It: Jesse Zwick Dives Straight into About Alex
By Jesse Zwick on August 13, 2014

Two years of working on a movie—three weeks to prep it. How Jesse Zwick found himself making his directorial debut, the seven-person ensemble piece About Alex, with high-profile actors and no film school buddies to call upon for favors.

——————————————————–

Writing a movie, not a script

A couple of years into my attempted life as a screenwriter—after several scripts had received the damning praise of being “good writing samples”—I became convinced that the best thing I could do for my career was to stop waiting for someone to hire me and, instead, write a very contained story that I could make on any budget. In other words, I decided to stop writing scripts and instead write a movie,...<more>
--- End quote ---

Note: MovieMaker Magazine runs a very good website that regularly publishes DIY and "how we did it" articles on film making. While not just about writing, there's a lot in there about the mechanics and process of making a movie that a budding scriptwriter absolutely needs to know if they ever hope to see their work up on the screen.

Recommended. :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Hey, I've never mentioned my pron-script moonlighting... Have you been reading my email? :P

Renegade:
The vast majority of what I do is all corporate stuff. Emails, documentation, software UIs, web sites, brochures, video scripts, communications, planning documents, blah blah blah etc. etc. etc. Extremely boring stuff for most people.

But I don't really do pron scripts. Thank god. Though I did do a campaign for a pron company once upon a time...

I certainly have my pet peeves when it comes to language and grammar though. One of the big ones is the general inability of English speakers to account for number when they write or speak. It's not that hard to tell the difference between "1" and "other than 1". Sigh... There are others though. (That was a concise demonstration of the issue.)

superboyac:
I certainly have my pet peeves when it comes to language and grammar though. One of the big ones is the general inability of English speakers to account for number when they write or speak. It's not that hard to tell the difference between "1" and "other than 1". Sigh... There are others though. (That was a concise demonstration of the issue.)
-Renegade (August 25, 2014, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Que?  I'm curious, but I don't think I understand what you are saying?  Clarification?

Renegade:
-Renegade (August 25, 2014, 08:25 AM)
--- End quote ---
Que?  I'm curious, but I don't think I understand what you are saying?  Clarification?
-superboyac (August 25, 2014, 09:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Most people are incapable of understanding that "2" is not "1".

The typical error is:

There is 5 glasses on the table.

WRONG!

There ARE 5 glasses on the table.

That's just one of my pet peeves.

Most people can't even speak their own language properly. It's pathetic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version