ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Movie and Book Writing Thread

<< < (5/11) > >>

tomos:
^ never having laid claim to grammatical powers - I'm enjoying the slagging Ren is getting, but dont understand why...
Should we be saying 'our pets the peeves' maybe ? :tellme:
or what?
-tomos (August 29, 2014, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

S/B - ...just how many of these pets do you have? There must be hundreds. ;)
-40hz (August 29, 2014, 06:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Okay, I got that - but presumed you were slagging some fault in Ren's post :-\
hang on,
I should read the whole thread, shouldn't I :-[ :-[ :-[

EDIT// I understand everything now (and my grammar is now perfect :p) :D

40hz:
@Stephen66515 - here's some food for thought courtesy of Raymond Chandler:

By the way, would you convey my compliments to the purist who reads your proofs and tell him or her that I write in a sort of broken-down patois which is something like the way a Swiss waiter talks, and that when I split an infinitive, God damn it, I split it so it will remain split, and when I interrupt the velvety smoothness of my more or less literate syntax with a few sudden words of barroom vernacular, this is done with the eyes wide open and the mind relaxed and attentive. The method may not be perfect, but it is all I have.

Raymond Chandler

8) :Thmbsup:

40hz:
There's a new Suse Studio compilation called the Wallstone Creativity Desktop.

Description

Are you a writer? Do you do heavy blogging? Do you edit other people's works? Are you a (self-) publisher? Do you need the ability to write, edit, or publish works on-the-go? Are you sick of paying Microsoft hundreds of dollars for software that doesn't work right?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then the Wallstone Creativity Desktop was made for you. This (mostly) complete system, Powered by OpenSUSE, has plenty of tools for writing, editing, converting documents, scanning documents, handling images and photos, planning, and much more.

In addition, if you work on audio or video projects, we're working on making your lives better as well, with programs like OpenShot and Cinelrella, Mixxx, and Audacity. The Wallstone Creativity Desktop wants to be YOUR favorite Linux distribution, so tell us what you'd like to see!
--- End quote ---

This effort takes a kitchen sink approach by bundling all the wordsmithing tools the dev distro creator could find and putting them into one convenient collection.

I have mixed feelings about doing a distro like this. First, because this approach leads to a bloated installation that sometimes develops dependencies issues or experiences slowness down the road. Second, because there's a huge amount of functional overlap since so many similar apps are included. Seriously, do you really think you'll need over a dozen separate wordprocessors and text editors for your daily work?

That said, "kitchen sinking" can be a handy thing if you are new to Linux and don't have much experience with what software is available. This distro helps out with that by the simple expedient of taking a large amount of what’s out there and including it by default. (see below)

What's included...MAJOR PROGRAMS (by Category)

Word Processors

LibreOffice
    AbiWord
    Blogilo
    LyX
    Gnome Blog
    Scribus

Editors

Bluefish
    Cherry Tree
    Gedit
    Nano
    Red Notebook
    Tomboy
    Markdown
        Multimarkdown
        Discount
        Retext

Dictionaries

Aspell
    Myspell
    Golden Dictionary
    Gnome Dictionary
    Ispell
    Star Dict

Thesaurus

Artha
    LibreOffice English Thesaurus

OCR

Cuneiform
    Tesseract
    Gocr
    OCRad
    GimageReader

Document Conversion

Calibre
    Pandoc
    HTML to Postscript
    PDFChain
    Sigil

Typesetting

LaTeX
    TexMaker
    TexStudio
    TexWorks
    Texlive
    Lilypond

Photography

Darktable
    Digikam
    Fotoxx
    Shotwell

Video Editors

OpenShot
    Cinelrella

Graphics & Animation

Blender
    Img2DVJU
    GIMP
    Inkscape
    Uniconverter
    XML Graphics Batik
    Synfig Studio
    Sweet Home 3D
    Librecad

Scanning

Scan Tailor (Featured)
    Xsane

Audio Editing

Audacity
    Rosegarden

Audio DJ/Broadcast

Mixxx

Financial

Gnu Cash
    LibreOffice Calc

Planning

Dia
    Planner
    Freeplane
    Project Libre
    + Getting Things GNOME

Internet

Firefox
    Thunderbird
    PidGin

Windows

Wine
    Swine
    Mono
    Gecko
    PlayOnLinux

Utilities

Printing
        Glabels
        Gutenprint

File Managers
        PcManFm
        Nautilus

Boot
        Grub2
        Grub Customizer

Disk Image & Tools
        Gparted
        Suse Studio Image Writer
        Kiwi

CD/DVD Burner
        Brasero

Archiver
        Ark

Font Management
        Font Forge
        Font Manager

--- End quote ---

IMO the smart way to use a distro like this is to run it straight off the live DVD (it's 2.74Gb in the 64-bit version) and explore the various pieces of software included. When you find the apps you really like - make a list. Then get a more basic distro and use the package manager to grab and install the list of apps you made earlier. Or alternatively, install it to your hard disk and then let the package manager remove all the stuff you aren't using. You can always easily reinstall something if you find you need it.

Anyway, there it is, the Wallstone Creativity Desktop. Get it here.

Renegade:
Wow. That's a lot of tools in there.

There's one mind mapping tool that I've seen used that looks pretty good:

http://www.thebrain.com

It's cross platform, and would make a good addition there.

I found out about it here:

https://www.tragedyandhope.com/the-brain/

Richard uses it in a lot of his videos.

40hz:
@Ren - The Brain is one of those very cool looking apps I've played with but could never really find a good use for in the past.

I suppose if I were writing a mystery novel. or a thriller revolving around nested conspiracies over a long historic period - y'know, one of those "wheels within wheels" things that start back in 1776 and progress through Area-51 on the way to the official last Apollo moon mission with stops along the way for the Bavarian Illuminati, Majestic-12, and The New World Order...?

To me it's almost like an electronic version of "the board" allegedly used by police and intelligence agencies when they're investigating something. Except without the need for thumbtacks and colored string 'jump connectors' since the software's 3-D rotation capability handles that much more elegantly. Easier to pack up and/or archive than the physical equivalent too!

If you figure out something interesting and non-trivial to use The Brain for, be sure to let me know?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version