ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Share your photos! Travel shots, photoblogs, etc.

<< < (17/32) > >>

Curt:
^I cannot believe any Russians would promote Ukraine so heavily! Look at the huge motive on the building in the back; Ukraine's Coat of arms all over:

Coat of arms of Ukrainew

However, no one in Western Europe will call Ukraine for Europe. It's Eastern Europe; it's another world.

--------------

1) modified:

I don't understand where in Ukraine it might be. If it's in the north, it would probably be close to the border of Belarus. But why would Ukraine provoke Belarus with this huge coat of arms? If it's in the south, it would be at the border to Crimea. This would make sense, but doesn't match my inner picture of this area (I have never been there), looking at the map. But it might be my best guess all the same:
What, 4wd, are you sitting on a Crimean jetty, looking at Ukraine on the other side of the bridge?

2) Half an hour later, I realize that the big coat of arms doesn't have to be hostile, but may be to encourage loyalty. That means the picture could be from Kiev with its many bridges across Dnepr.

4wd:
Two out of three Curt, Ukraine and the Dnepr river.

It's East Ukraine, just needed to add an 'o' to the river name, Dnepro (or Dnipro).

It's the Parus Hotel, originally funded by Russian interests but then construction stopped, IIRC, can't remember if it became something else.

It's also an area in which a lot of signs are still in Russian and a lot still speak Russian as well as Ukraine.

Currently doing a big loop of Ukraine, then it's off to Pripyat tomorrow.

And FWIW, I prefer Eastern Europe to Western precisely because it is 'another world'. Ukraine has the worst roads I've ever driven on but I wouldn't hesitate to come back given the chance.

Welcome to Kiev:

Curt:
4wd's answer made me re-install "Google Yandex Reverse" for Firefox, because no matter how hard I've tried, "Google Reverse Image Search" would not give me usable answers to my picture search for 4wd's original image (or any part of it), but Yandex Яндекс came with the right answer at once. Unfortunately, Yandex has given up pleasing any English reading audience; it's now in all Russian.

---
... it's off to Pripyat tomorrow.-4wd (June 24, 2017, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pripyatw? Are you going all nuclear!

tomos:
Look at the huge motive on the building in the back; Ukraine's Coat of arms all over:
-Curt (June 23, 2017, 05:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well found Curt! I was wondering what that symbol was...

4wd:
Pripyatw? Are you going all nuclear!
-Curt (June 25, 2017, 01:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe 😉

From a rooftop, you can see the new reactor sarcophagus in the background.

(Edit: Not really, here's a better one)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version