ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do you use a Portrait mode monitor?

<< < (4/5) > >>

oblivion:
Until I read this thread, I'd never really considered portrait mode.

My work setup is two monitors, and I always have Thunderbird glued to the right hand monitor. And it occurred to me that Perry's setup might work well for me.

So right now, my right hand monitor is portrait. I like it -- although there are a couple of downsides.

The first is probably trivial: you can't really stretch a wallpaper across an L-shaped space. I must research the possibility of landscape and portrait wallpapers being used simultaneously...

The second might be more important. I'm not sure why -- probably something to do with pixel shapes -- but although my monitors are completely capable of displaying the same colours when they're both landscape, I'm really struggling to make the portrait monitor's colours look identical with the landscape one. Even with Lutcurve's help (but that might be my own stupidities -- I'm not very good at achieving the results an expert probably could, and I tend to give up at the "that'll have to do" point!)

However: most of the stuff I do (with the exception of file management and web browsing) seem to benefit from as much vertical real estate as possible -- to the extent that my taskbar is always vertical and autohidden so I think I'll persevere, at least for the time being. Thanks for giving me the idea!

skwire:
The first is probably trivial: you can't really stretch a wallpaper across an L-shaped space. I must research the possibility of landscape and portrait wallpapers being used simultaneously...-oblivion (October 31, 2014, 05:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I never tested it with that configuration, but you might consider giving my Wallpaper Welder application a try.

oblivion:
The first is probably trivial: you can't really stretch a wallpaper across an L-shaped space. I must research the possibility of landscape and portrait wallpapers being used simultaneously...-oblivion (October 31, 2014, 05:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I never tested it with that configuration, but you might consider giving my Wallpaper Welder application a try.
-skwire (November 12, 2014, 09:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm impressed -- it works really well!

I'd found DisplayFusion by the time I saw this but it does an awful lot I don't need, whereas WW does just what I want, no more and no less, so I think WW may well be a keeper. Thanks, skwire -- another extraordinarily fine piece of work!  :Thmbsup:

skwire:
Great to hear.  I'm glad you found it useful.   :D

mouser:
2+ years later, I'd like to hear from people who are using portrait monitors.

I want to use a portrait style layout as it would be better use of my desk space, but I just have a hard time adjusting to the vertical span and having to angle my head up to see the top of the screen..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version