topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: HDMI cables  (Read 7436 times)

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
HDMI cables
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Here's an old topic.
Six or seven years ago I thought we had beaten this subject to death.   :-[

http://www.cnet.com/...cables-are-the-same/

This article just came in...... riding in a Monoprice blog!
I haven't even received the Monoprice newsletter in months.......... now we got a blog.  :D

Monoprice.com   
Subscribe to Monoprice @   Monoprice on Facebook Follow Monoprice Google Plus Monoprice Monoprice on Instagram Pin Monoprice Monoprice videos

I haven't checked the prices at Monoprice for a long time but they use to be a good source  :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: HDMI cables
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:10 PM »
That article was written in early 2011. There are two follow up articles from 2011 and 2012 on the same subject:

Why all HDMI Cables are the Same - Part 2

Still More Reasons Why All HDMI Cables are the Same
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 03:56 PM by Deozaan »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:40 PM »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 08:57 PM »
On the Web
Monoprice: Most of the cables I use -- and most of the cables CNET uses -- come from Monoprice. They're exceptionally cheap, they ship quickly, and I've never had one fail despite a significant amount of plugging and unplugging.

http://www.cnet.com/...-cable-buying-guide/

For an evening of entertainment Google hdmi cables........... :D

and the venders haven't done much to solve this absurdity!
Check the prices and price ranges........... it's worth a chuckle ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Still More Reasons Why All HDML Cables are the Same

Handheld Device Markup Language? :P

:-[

Fixed! :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 04:32 PM »
+1 on HDMI video cables from Monoprice.

They're pretty much all I buy for myself or my clients.

Never had a single problem with their product or service.  

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I recently-ish bought some of the USB -> USB Micro cables from Monoprice.  I wanted nice, long 6' cables so it could reach from the outlets, and it turns out that my tablet's case is too snug around the USB connector for the "fat" ones to plug in while the case is on. So I had to get the more expensive, thin ones.

After a few weeks of using it to charge my phone and/or tablet the internal wires are poking out near the connection. )c:

Monoprice USB Cable.jpg

The cable still works fine, but I have to say I was disappointed at paying extra and having it falling apart so quickly. This is really my only complaint I have about Monoprice.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:18 PM by Deozaan »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I'm surprised as well!
Can you document a refund or return? The shipping to return the cable is probably more than the cost of the cable but with that image I'd have a chat with their customer service and suggest that they replace the cable, post haste, without returning the bad one. There is a whole helluva lot of people at DC, CNET, and elseware, that should be appraised of the actions of Monoprice to make a bad deal right. The negative publicity alone should be all the incentive they need.
We have an investigative reporter at a local TV station and he has a team of volunteers contacting sellers, venders, stores, etc., when a refund or replacement is refused. Even big box stores seen to respond rapidly when bad publicity enters the picture.  :)

If you pursue it, please keep us in the loop. I'd sure like to know what kind of company Monoprice really is...... >:(

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 08:19 AM »
If you pursue it, please keep us in the loop. I'd sure like to know what kind of company Monoprice really is...... >:(

I won't be pursuing it. Thinking on it, I actually ordered the cables about a year ago but didn't open them right away. When I finally did open them and start using the long, thin ones, it only took maybe 4-6 weeks for the wires to get exposed. But as I said, the cables still work perfectly.

I think if I order more and experience the same issue, then I might pursue it with those ones.

But anyway, I didn't mean to derail the topic. I still turn primarily to Monoprice when it comes to buying cables. Especially things like HDMI cables. (c:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:19 PM by Deozaan »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 09:30 AM »
But anyway, I didn't mean to derail the topic. I still turn primarily to Monoprice when it comes to buying cables. Especially things like HDMI cables. (c:

Thanks for bringing us up to date!

I've been shopping Monoprice for years without incident  :)
Many years ago I acquired a 20" CRT type monitor (at a yard sale) and both the power cord and hdmi cable were missing  :huh:
BestBuy is about two city blocks from here.
Headed to BB where the dapper young dude in charge of cables produced an hdmi cable, 25 ft long, for only $49.95  :o
I was informed that it would work perfectly for a desktop computer and the extra cable could be tucked discretely behind the desk  :D
It was almost exactly the time I discovered Monoprice where I purchased both cables for that old monitor, and a spare 6 footer, delivered at my front door for $14 bucks.
and Sir  8), I'm betting that with that picture in a short email you'd soon receive a new cable in the mail. Surely they are interested in what they're putting over the counter and that pic tells the whole story  ;D
It may be an exercise in futility, a sorry return on time invested, or it may restore the confidence in Monoprice that we've all had for a long time  :D

not that I'm a protagonist or sumthin'   :P

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 02:13 PM »
I was recently perusing Monoprice for HDMI cables and felt it was a bit of a waste to pay more in shipping costs than in the costs of the cable I wanted, so I began looking for more cables to bundle in with my order. In the process, I looked again at the Premium Micro USB cables which I mentioned earlier in this thread, and read some reviews on them with many similar issues as what I experienced above. So I added my own voice with a review of the cables.

I was contacted by tech support, informing me that Monoprice has a lifetime warranty on their cables and offering an RMA at no additional cost to replace my "defective" cables.

So, if it's truly free (i.e. no return shipping costs) then it looks like I'll be getting new cables. But if I'm expected to pay for shipping costs, then I think it's probably not worth it, as it will likely cost more to ship it than buying new ones would.

Sorry for the "off-topicness" of this post, but since I mentioned it earlier in this thread, I figured I should update everyone on the situation.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:19 PM by Deozaan »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:14 PM »
I just got my free replacement cables. I didn't have to pay shipping, nor did I have to return my (still working) frayed cables.

I was worried that I was just going to be getting more of the same cables that would end up having the same issue, but they were free so I figured I didn't have anything to lose. It looks like they did take steps to solve the problem! They have extended the "sleeve" that comes out of the connector by about a centimeter (at both connectors), so that if the cable pulls away from it, it will still be inside the sleeve.

I realize that my description of the issue and solution isn't very clear, so here's a photo so you can see for yourself and compare the different lengths of the "sleeve" coming out of the connector:

Monoprice USB Cable Replacement.jpg

This restores my faith in Monoprice products and I would heartily recommend them to anyone looking for good quality cables at a decent price. :Thmbsup: