topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:21 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chrome and Malware detection  (Read 6953 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Chrome and Malware detection
« on: August 13, 2014, 11:36 AM »
I can't find the topic- but there was a topic that talked about unsigned executables being flagged as malicious in Chrome.  

Screenshot - 8_13_2014 , 12_35_59 PM.png

After trying to download something from one of my cubbies from the web interface... and having it flagged, I had to figure out how to get this execrable behaviour under control.  And I found it.

From https://support.goog...oad_blocked&rd=1

Turn off phishing and malware detection

• Click the Chrome menu Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
  • Select Settings.
  • Click Show advanced settings and find the "Privacy" section.
  • Deselect the "Enable phishing and malware protection" checkbox.

Note: When you turn off these warnings you also turn off other malware and phishing alerts.

I like the idea of them... but the false positives really suck.  So what I did was turn it off... then downloaded my software.  Then turned it back on.

Figured this might help someone.

Oh, and for a laugh... at that link above, there's a little callout - How does downloads protection work?

To help protect you, Google maintains a list of websites that are known to host malicious downloads and a list of trusted software publishers.

Google warns you if you try to download something weird or something from a dangerous website.

Really, google?!?

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chrome and Malware detection
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 11:30 PM »
They have a similar message that blocks a download unless you specifically reaffirm it. It's used for uncommon downloads. I get those all the time, but haven't seen what you're seeing with it absolutely blocked. I've also downloaded software that is flagged as malware, but only gotten the "are you sure" warning.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 12:32 PM »
I've seen it and I agree with wraith -- this is yet again a move by one of the big corporations to "protect" users by penalizing and scaring people about the software made by small independent coders.
It is an irresponsible act that inevitably penalizes the small guys and pushes everyone towards products made by large corporations with the clout and money to be whitelisted.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30 PM »
Use 'autoruns' from the Sysinternals Suite before you install Chrome. Repeat this after Chrome is installed. There are quite some additions. One of these is Google Update. When using 'autoruns' to disable it from running when Windows starts...you just get a new entry of Google Update, that is set to boot automatically. Repeat ad infinitum.

Technically Chrome is not malware, but accompanying Google software behaves just like it. So....pot calling kettle black?

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 10:59 AM »
Use 'autoruns' from the Sysinternals Suite before you install Chrome. Repeat this after Chrome is installed. There are quite some additions. One of these is Google Update. When using 'autoruns' to disable it from running when Windows starts...you just get a new entry of Google Update, that is set to boot automatically. Repeat ad infinitum.

Technically Chrome is not malware, but accompanying Google software behaves just like it. So....pot calling kettle black?
That's as major reason why I will not run Chrome, except in a VM.

I've recently been playing with Opera 23, which is based on Chromium and almost as fast as Chrome, but without the baggage.  Furthermore, it can be run as a portable app from a USB or a hard drive.

Opera 2x is still a work in progress, ,missing some critical features, like print preview, and some of the things that make Opera 12 such a joy, like the Wand password manager.  It is, however, noticeably faster than Firefox or Opera 12, so I'm using it more and more for casual surfing and reading, even if it isn't ready yet to become my main browser.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 11:04 AM »
I've seen it and I agree with wraith -- this is yet again a move by one of the big corporations to "protect" users by penalizing and scaring people about the software made by small independent coders.
It is an irresponsible act that inevitably penalizes the small guys and pushes everyone towards products made by large corporations with the clout and money to be whitelisted.

I'm glad you said it. I'd devolve into a blithering rant.

BTW - You were far too kind in your assessment. ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 11:21 AM »

That's as major reason why I will not run Chrome, except in a VM.

I've recently been playing with Opera 23, which is based on Chromium and almost as fast as Chrome, but without the baggage.  Furthermore, it can be run as a portable app from a USB or a hard drive.

Opera 2x is still a work in progress, ,missing some critical features, like print preview, and some of the things that make Opera 12 such a joy, like the Wand password manager.  It is, however, noticeably faster than Firefox or Opera 12, so I'm using it more and more for casual surfing and reading, even if it isn't ready yet to become my main browser.

THANK YOU FOR THAT POST!!!

I've flipped between browsers for ages, and have always loved Opera, but left it a while back for a few reasons. (And Firefox has just been too resource intense for a while - not that Chrome isn't a pig...)

Installed it. Set it as my default browser. Thanks.

I've been wanting to get off Chrome, but been lazy to look into things. -- Better to just figure out who the smart people in the forums are then leech off of their experiences. :D

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Oooh! Posting from Opera now after browsing a few pages. Very snappy.  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I've recently encountered this a lot while trying to download/play Ludum Dare 30 games, but having the downloads blocked by Chrome with seemingly no way to keep them anyway.

I turned to Twitter and was told about another partial workaround:

If you open your downloads page (Ctrl-J by default) you can click "Recover malicious file" to keep the file.

Recover Malicious File.png

Recover Malware Warning.png
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:49 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07 PM »
I wish someone could make all of google's sites show up as malicious.  I really wish someone would.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 04:24 AM »
I've recently encountered this a lot while trying to download/play Ludum Dare 30 games, but having the downloads blocked by Chrome with seemingly no way to keep them anyway.

I'm glad I never fully went down the Chrome road
Tom