ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Laptop Battery Record!

<< < (2/4) > >>

40hz:
^If you're trying that freezer trick to revitalize a battery, I'd just put the battery (not the entire laptop) inside two freezer bags - and put that in your freezer. Let the battery chill for 24 hours. Then remove it, take it out of the bags, and let it gradually come up to room temp over a 48-hour period outside the laptop. That will avoid creating any excessive condensation that actually could fry your laptop.

FWIW I've never known it to work. I suspect it's at least 80% urban legend.

Cuffy:
hmm,

are you sure you're not thinking of a hard drive rather than a battery??
 :huh:

40hz:
hmm,

are you sure you're not thinking of a hard drive rather than a battery??
 :huh:
-Cuffy (August 12, 2014, 01:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

nope. Li battery.

http://www.wikihow.com/Revive-a-Dead-Laptop-Battery

Cuffy:
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries 

Having grown up in a place where it never got below 59 deg.Fah. in the days of 6VDC batteries and having never known  freezing temps to improve a battery's performance I'd say calling that procedure a myth is putting it mildly.. :D

and to answer your question..............
With the going rate on that old Dell laptop about $20, in serviceable condition, the thought of applying for a gov't grant to run the required tests to compile a freeze time vs runtime comparison and publish a chart for general public use, is what I had in mind. Perhaps printed on cardstock suitable for posting above your computer or laminated in a wallet size card for mobile users?  :Thmbsup:

I haven't crunched any numbers yet but I'm sure it could be kept in the millions, rather than billions, to finance, and Obama could attach it to the Immigration Reform bill where it would hardly be noticed?? just a thought  :D

Stoic Joker:
FWIW I've never known it to work. I suspect it's at least 80% urban legend.-40hz (August 12, 2014, 12:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me either for a laptop battery, but I used to do it all the time as a kid to get more play time out of A/AA, C and D cell batteries.

So it's not a total myth ... It did work on those back then.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version