ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Fastest note taking tool?

<< < (3/4) > >>

wraith808:
Notation might fit the bill. [...] I'm also hoping for some form of Dropbox sync feature..-Dirhael (August 12, 2014, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Their Web page says Portability: Keep your notes synced among your devices using Simplenote
--- End quote ---
I wish people would routinely produce no-install versions, so much easier to make quick tests...
-rjbull (August 13, 2014, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

A portable version would also make it quite easy to work with services such as Dropbox. That said, as a workaround I just moved the %appdata%\Notation\Notes folder to my Dropbox folder (which I've got stored on my NAS), and just symlinked it back. Now it syncs just fine, although it requires you to restart the app on the other PC's if modifying or adding notes on another.
-Dirhael (August 13, 2014, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just use simplenote, truthfully.  And I use Resoph notes on one computer... that can sync with simplenotes and save the individual files to dropbox.  It's pretty seamless.

Dirhael:
Notation might fit the bill. [...] I'm also hoping for some form of Dropbox sync feature..-Dirhael (August 12, 2014, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Their Web page says Portability: Keep your notes synced among your devices using Simplenote
--- End quote ---
I wish people would routinely produce no-install versions, so much easier to make quick tests...
--- End quote ---

A portable version would also make it quite easy to work with services such as Dropbox. That said, as a workaround I just moved the %appdata%\Notation\Notes folder to my Dropbox folder (which I've got stored on my NAS), and just symlinked it back. Now it syncs just fine, although it requires you to restart the app on the other PC's if modifying or adding notes on another.
--- End quote ---

I just use simplenote, truthfully.  And I use Resoph notes on one computer... that can sync with simplenotes and save the individual files to dropbox.  It's pretty seamless.
-wraith808 (August 13, 2014, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose that would be the easiest way, yes :) It's just that I don't really trust all these sync services to be available for years to come, some of those I've used in the past are no more.

wraith808:
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

-wraith808 (August 13, 2014, 11:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I suppose that would be the easiest way, yes :) It's just that I don't really trust all these sync services to be available for years to come, some of those I've used in the past are no more.
-Dirhael (August 13, 2014, 12:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

When they become unavailable, you use something else.  The most important thing is the data.  You're still using dropbox... so the only added thing is simplenote.  But... there's a lot of ways to achieve the same thing.

lifeh2o:
Thank You everyone for this collection of small note taking tools

Notation: light weight, fast, shortcut rich
CintaNotes: directly make note from selected text, Big UI yet simple, portable
QuickNote: old, light weight, fast, save notes as text, reminders, portable
NoteHolder: directly make note from selected text, easier reminders, portable
FlashNotes: portable

Not checked hamNotes for FARR and http://activaid.telgkamp.de (didn't understand the lagnuage)

silat:
Try Softvoile's Flashnote.  Available here.

Or CintaNotes if you prefer something along the lines of Evernote. Available here.
-40hz (August 12, 2014, 08:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have used Flashnote for many years. It is great for simple note taking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version