topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:44 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fastest note taking tool?  (Read 9955 times)

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Fastest note taking tool?
« on: August 12, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Is there anything like Run where I simply press e.g. win+r right a simple small note, or paste it and it goes out of my sight? On Run I can save only one thing at a time momentarily, and with a small keyboard mistake I can lose that note.

I am imagining something like run, press a shortcut, write anything in the simple popup text box, press enter, it disappears and text is saved in a plain line be line list. press another shortcut and a simple popup display that collection of text. Is there anything like that already? I googled a lot, all todo and note taking tools are bulky with many features.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Re: Fastest note taking tool?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Hi lifeh2o,

Yes there is one. I use it always.

Quicknote http://www.quicknote.de/

Regards,

Anand

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58 AM »
http://activaid.telgkamp.de has some extension which does that.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:16 AM »
Try Softvoile's Flashnote.  Available here.

Or CintaNotes if you prefer something along the lines of Evernote. Available here.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Notesholder Pro is nice.  The only thing that keeps me from giving an unmiitigated thumbs up is the lack of any kind of sync, a proprietary back end, and a lack of responsiveness from the developer.  But it is nice.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 03:26 PM »
+1 for CintaNotes  :Thmbsup:

NotesHolder is nice, but I gave up on it because one version of NotesHolder Pro kept getting flagged as a virus (oddly, the free version didn't), because of the aforementioned lack of developer response/updating, and because trying to use its reminder feature was driving me round the bend.

phitsc

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:40 PM »
There's also hamradio's hamNotes plugin for FARR.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:56 PM »
Notation might fit the bill.

I just started testing it myself, and I like it so far. Just hit WINKEY+N and start typing your note, then ESC to hide again. In the next release, according to a comment on lifehacker, the developer plans to add a Markdown preview as well (for now, it processes markdown to html when exporting). I'm also hoping for some form of Dropbox sync feature..
Registered nurse by day, hobby programmer by night.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:43 AM »
Notation might fit the bill. [...] I'm also hoping for some form of Dropbox sync feature..
Their Web page says
Portability: Keep your notes synced among your devices using Simplenote
I wish people would routinely produce no-install versions, so much easier to make quick tests...

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 11:12 AM »
Notation might fit the bill. [...] I'm also hoping for some form of Dropbox sync feature..
Their Web page says
I wish people would routinely produce no-install versions, so much easier to make quick tests...

A portable version would also make it quite easy to work with services such as Dropbox. That said, as a workaround I just moved the %appdata%\Notation\Notes folder to my Dropbox folder (which I've got stored on my NAS), and just symlinked it back. Now it syncs just fine, although it requires you to restart the app on the other PC's if modifying or adding notes on another.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 11:28 AM »
Their Web page says

A portable version would also make it quite easy to work with services such as Dropbox. That said, as a workaround I just moved the %appdata%\Notation\Notes folder to my Dropbox folder (which I've got stored on my NAS), and just symlinked it back. Now it syncs just fine, although it requires you to restart the app on the other PC's if modifying or adding notes on another.

I just use simplenote, truthfully.  And I use Resoph notes on one computer... that can sync with simplenotes and save the individual files to dropbox.  It's pretty seamless.

Dirhael

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • defreitas.no
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Their Web page says

I just use simplenote, truthfully.  And I use Resoph notes on one computer... that can sync with simplenotes and save the individual files to dropbox.  It's pretty seamless.

I suppose that would be the easiest way, yes :) It's just that I don't really trust all these sync services to be available for years to come, some of those I've used in the past are no more.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Their Web page says

I suppose that would be the easiest way, yes :) It's just that I don't really trust all these sync services to be available for years to come, some of those I've used in the past are no more.

When they become unavailable, you use something else.  The most important thing is the data.  You're still using dropbox... so the only added thing is simplenote.  But... there's a lot of ways to achieve the same thing.

lifeh2o

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Thank You everyone for this collection of small note taking tools

Notation: light weight, fast, shortcut rich
CintaNotes: directly make note from selected text, Big UI yet simple, portable
QuickNote: old, light weight, fast, save notes as text, reminders, portable
NoteHolder: directly make note from selected text, easier reminders, portable
FlashNotes: portable

Not checked hamNotes for FARR and http://activaid.telgkamp.de (didn't understand the lagnuage)

« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:37 PM by lifeh2o »

silat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 07:43 AM »
Try Softvoile's Flashnote.  Available here.

Or CintaNotes if you prefer something along the lines of Evernote. Available here.

I have used Flashnote for many years. It is great for simple note taking.
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."  - Abraham Lincoln

thomthowolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Bad software makes me tired
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 01:37 PM »
One that has not been mentioned, but that I love for this purpose is anuran by our own Skwire.  Fully portable, and pops up take the note and then have it timestamped and available later.
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.  - Benjamin Franklin