ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

R.I.P. Robin Williams

<< < (4/5) > >>

SeraphimLabs:
Disney posted this on the subject matter.

For those who don't recognize what this is, it is the lamp from Aladdin, where Robin Williams had played the genie.

When that movie came out I actually hated it. At the time I didn't understand the genie's humor at all.

It wasn't till years later I finally began to appreciate Robin Williams humor, going back to rewatch movies he had been in now that I finally understood his role.

Flubber as well. If I had to pick a movie he was in that was my favorite, that would be it. I've yet to see Bicentennial man, though I read a fair amount of Asimov and probably would get the connections from it.

MilesAhead:
I remember Death To Smoochy.  That was really bizarre.

wraith808:
A recollection from Dana Gould:

Two years ago, I was performing at The Punchline in San Francisco, and Robin came to the show with our mutual friend, Dan Spencer.

This particular batch of material was the first time I had touched upon my then still-fresh divorce wounds, and big chunks of it were pretty dark. The next day, I got a text from a number I didn’t recognize. Whoever it was had obviously been to the show and knew my number, so I figured they would reveal themselves at some point and save me the embarrassment of asking who they were.

The Mystery Texter asked how I was REALLY doing. “You can’t fool me. Some of those ‘jokes’ aren’t ‘jokes.” By now I knew that whoever this was had been through what I was enduring, as no one else would know to ask, “What time of day is the hardest?”

He wanted to know how my kids were handling it, all the while assuring me that the storm, as bleak as it was, would one day pass and that I was not, as I was then convinced, a terrible father for visiting a broken home upon my children.

I am not rewriting this story in retrospect to make it dramatic. I did not know who I was texting with. Finally, my phone blipped, and I saw, in a little green square, “Okay, pal. You got my number. Call me. I’ve been there. You’re going to be okay. – Robin.”

That is what you call a human being.

--- End quote ---

I'm usually not hit much by celebrity deaths.  This one really hit me.  And these little stories... make it hit me all the more.

wraith808:
Statement from Robin Williams' wife:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/robin-williams-parkinsons-disease

Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child — Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.

--- End quote ---

wraith808:
Great Obit by Russell Brand

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/12/russell-brand-robin-williams-divine-madness-broken-world

Is it melancholy to think that a world that Robin Williams can’t live in must be broken? To tie this sad event to the overarching misery of our times? No academic would co-sign a theory in which the tumult of our fractured and unhappy planet is causing the inherently hilarious to end their lives, though I did read that suicide among the middle-aged increased inexplicably in 1999 and has been rising ever since. Is it a condition of our era?

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version