ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

DONE: Tool that lists digitally signed files from a folder/disk

<< < (7/18) > >>

neverlight:
"Cancelling a scan" feature is forthcoming.  Regarding the process priority request, what do you expect to gain from such (honest question)?
-skwire (September 13, 2014, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sometimes the window gets unresponsive while handling a lot of files. That's why I suggested priority similarly to how archive managers handle things. I'm not sure if it's possible.

Also, it would be very interesting to see a cache system that might speed up the process since some files might have been (already) processed.
Perhaps there should be another action in "View" tab that gives end-users the ability to show only unique files (not duplicates).

Another issue that I've observed is that it does not handle special characters well. Probably a display issue.

And another suggestion would be to rename "Trusted list" to "Trusted Vendors" as this might avoid possible confusion & make the box re-sizable.

I've seen that you get to choose from three different search providers. However, why not let the user choose additional ones? Perhaps it should be configurable since some users might have access to executable databases by using hashes (or other information). Thus, another useful suggestion would be to allow macros. As for example, the user could input $SHA1 (and other) in the url.
Example of such usage (but not necessarily limited to VirusTotal) : https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/$SHA256/analysis/

While I do like that you can use "Open VirusTotal URL(s)" from the right-click menu, it is unclear on how to actually use it from a novice user point of view. This action is available/enabled by default. I'm not sure if it is intended since you can spam this action while not doing anything and not being ok from aesthetics point of view.

Also, the clean action will not do anything if files are being processed. I'm guessing this option could be grayed out or/and inform the user that it is not possible, maybe.

Under "Help" tab > "Contents", users would expect a help file and not a pop-up that describes SigcheckGUI since there is an "About" button. Superseded.

Another suggestion that might be useful regarding quick access would be to add another action in the right-click menu named, for example, "Open File Location".

Maybe, the "Info Box" action from right-click menu should be grayed out for multiple files.

SigcheckGUI or SigCheckGUI -- Is it intended?

Thanks,
Marius

skwire:
Sometimes the window gets unresponsive while handling a lot of files. That's why I suggested priority similarly to how archive managers handle things. I'm not sure if it's possible.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, that unresponsiveness has nothing to do with the process priority.  It has to do with the fact that the UI is waiting for the commandline sigcheck.exe to finish.  There are a few different methods I can use for this so it might be something I can alleviate.

Also, it would be very interesting to see a cache system that might speed up the process since some files might have been (already) processed.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Doubtful that I'd add this.

Perhaps there should be another action in "View" tab that gives end-users the ability to show only unique files (not duplicates).-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can add an option like "Skip duplicates in list" or something like that.  If this is enabled, files that already exist in the list will be skipped.  I'd think the full path would have to match exactly for this to be useful, though.

Another issue that I've observed is that it does not handle special characters well. Probably a display issue.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

The app does seem to handle Unicode paths and Unicode filenames without issue so I'll assume you're talking about the actual displayed data.  If so, can you provide me an example of what you're seeing?

And another suggestion would be to rename "Trusted list" to "Trusted Vendors" as this might avoid possible confusion & make the box re-sizable.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can do.

Also, the clean action will not do anything if files are being processed. I'm guessing this option could be grayed out or/and inform the user that it is not possible, maybe.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can do.

Under "Help" tab > "Contents", users would expect a help file and not a pop-up that describes SigcheckGUI since there is an "About" button. Superseded.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, help files.  The bane of developers everywhere.   :)  I'm terrible at providing them.   :-[  That said, I do try to write my applications such that, hopefully, a help file shouldn't be needed for the most part.

Another suggestion that might be useful regarding quick access would be to add another action in the right-click menu named, for example, "Open File Location".-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Can do.

Maybe, the "Info Box" action from right-click menu should be grayed out for multiple files.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point.

SigcheckGUI or SigCheckGUI -- Is it intended?-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've seen both.  However, the official site for the sigcheck.exe program that does the grunt work has it spelled Sigcheck so that's what I went with.

neverlight:
The app does seem to handle Unicode paths and Unicode filenames without issue so I'll assume you're talking about the actual displayed data.  If so, can you provide me an example of what you're seeing?
-skwire (September 14, 2014, 11:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Product" & "Copyright" columns, for example. Please check attachment.

Thanks,
Marius

skwire:
"Product" & "Copyright" columns, for example. Please check attachment.-neverlight (September 14, 2014, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

This looks to be an issue with sigcheck.exe itself not being able to handle those characters.  Run a "sigcheck -a c:\windows\explorer.exe" and you'll see what I mean.

neverlight:
sigcheck.exe itself not being able to handle those characters.  Run a "sigcheck -a c:\windows\explorer.exe
-skwire (September 14, 2014, 11:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Those are not really important anyway. Future versions of Sigcheck might have it fixed.

Thanks,
Marius

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version