ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Everyone is brokenhearted.

<< < (3/5) > >>

Innuendo:
Then one day as you skipped along you encountered a tall man in a gray suit with gray felt hat.  He gave you such a disgusted look.  You slow down in reaction.  Then the gray man says "You are tool old to be skipping" all mean and nasty.-MilesAhead (August 04, 2014, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, well...I remember that tall man in a gray suit with a gray felt hat. I slowed my skipping enough to give him a hard kick in the shins and resumed my skipping.

All these year later I'm still skipping and he hasn't been foolhardy enough to show his face around me again.  :)

MilesAhead:
Then one day as you skipped along you encountered a tall man in a gray suit with gray felt hat.  He gave you such a disgusted look.  You slow down in reaction.  Then the gray man says "You are tool old to be skipping" all mean and nasty.-MilesAhead (August 04, 2014, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, well...I remember that tall man in a gray suit with a gray felt hat. I slowed my skipping enough to give him a hard kick in the shins and resumed my skipping.

All these year later I'm still skipping and he hasn't been foolhardy enough to show his face around me again.  :)
-Innuendo (August 04, 2014, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for doing your bit.  All is not yet lost.  :)

Renegade:
Not sure whether to post or not, but...I think the cause of the malaise is much simpler.  Think back to when you were a kid skipping down the street.  You were happy for no particular reason.  In fact it was your default state of mind.  Adults smiled to see you skipping along so care free.

Then one day as you skipped along you encountered a tall man in a gray suit with gray felt hat.  He gave you such a disgusted look.  You slow down in reaction.  Then the gray man says "You are tool old to be skipping" all mean and nasty.

From that day on your life sucked.  You worried about things that never bothered you before.  Well I'm here to tell you that was no accident.  The gray man is no ordinary person.  He's a time traveler and his mission is to conduct hostile psychological operations against the middle class people of The United States.

Being from the future he could see that it was only necessary to spoil the childhoods of the middle class kids to generate the impetus for all the wars, famines, depressions, inflationary periods etc that sapped the resources of the middle class.

The only way to turn back the clock on the downfall of the middle class is to go back in time and skip down the street no matter what anyone thinks or says about it!
-MilesAhead (August 04, 2014, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

At first I wasn't sure how to take what you'd said there. This part gave me pause:

He's a time traveler and his mission is to conduct hostile psychological operations against the middle class people of The United States.
--- End quote ---

And I thought you were maybe being facetious, but possibly muddling through a difficult metaphor.

Innuendo gave me more reason to be less skeptical. (@Innuendo - Good post!)

But I do like the "tall man in a gray suit with gray felt hat" metaphor. I suppose everyone has their own version or versions of what that was for them.

When I was very young, I was extremely excited to start kindergarten. It seemed like this gigantic thing of wonder and possibilities. I vaguely remember kindergarten, though I can clearly remember much of the kindergarten room. The paint easels. The large bay windows. The trees and shrubs outside. The shelves filled with supplies. The streets around the school. The fence. The playground.

My kindergarten teacher told my mother that she thought I might be mentally retarded.

When the two looked into the matter more and asked me about my "retarded behaviour", I responded, "I came here to learn," and that I wasn't learning anything and that it was a waste of time.

I remember thinking that it would be so much nicer to be down the hall in the other rooms with the bigger kids where they were actually learning something (or so I thought). (My wife is astounded at much of my recollection of when I was young as she remembers very little.)

But those kinds of things are numerous when you're young. They wear you down. Some things are big, and some are small but significant for you personally.

The tall man in his gray suit visited often. That was just one the first (as I remember) of many visits.

Again when I was young, my best friend's mother died of cancer. He went through his own hell. I didn't understand any of it at the time.

As adults, we're prepared to deal with these things much better (and continue skipping). We can reject that tall man. As kids, it's not so easy - he frames your reality in ways that you cannot understand or reject.

Everyone has their own stories. But perhaps the stories about how we vanquish that tall man are more interesting and useful. :)

MilesAhead:
Not sure whether to post or not, but...
-Renegade (August 05, 2014, 01:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad you did.  It was interesting.  Before Kindergarten my father's mother lived with us.  She was the only one who made any attempt to teach me to read.  She would point to the ads in the newspaper as I sat on her lap, and read them to me.

I remember my parents being very surprised when I pointed to the cigarette ad on the page my mother was reading and said "Winston tastes good like a cigarette should!" Perhaps it was just how it seemed to me as a kid but soon after that incident grandma' wasn't living with us anymore.  No, she wasn't fitted for cement overshoes.  But she did end up back in my father's home town in Ohio.   :huh:

tomos:
Not sure whether to post or not, but...
--- End quote ---

I'm glad you did.
-MilesAhead (August 05, 2014, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

me too :up:

As adults, we're prepared to deal with these things much better (and continue skipping). We can reject that tall man. As kids, it's not so easy - he frames your reality in ways that you cannot understand or reject.
--- End quote ---

I think he/it** still frame most peoples' realities when they are grown up - without them even being conscious of it.

** whatever those experiences were.

It's a powerful image, the tall grey man...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version