topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Real RAM amount consumed  (Read 13802 times)

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Real RAM amount consumed
« on: August 02, 2014, 05:14 AM »
Edited 26.08.2014.20.09 :
I really going mad. I affirm the sum of the ram memories indicated in the % of the task administrator is not the real . I put screenshot.
An utility to sum really the ram memory and control it ?

Original : I think was a little problem with the PC, but lately began to go slowly and waste a great amount of ram memory with few applications opened.

Under windows 7 i am using the sidebar.exe to indicate the ram and cpu usage. When I open the task manager the sum of the ram amounts consumed by the processes I doubt sums the % indicated in the downside of the window or in the needle in the sidebar.

Do you know an application to sum really the ram amount consumed by any hidden process ? I have clicked all users to see all the processes.

Best Regards
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:13 PM by Contro »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Real RAM amount consumed
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Process Explorer
Tom

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Process Explorer is part of the SysInternal Suite and it contains much more very handy tools. It is one of the first things I put on every PC I own/work with.

There is also an open source tool called Process Hacker. The feature set of both Process Explorer and Process Hacker are for 90% the same, I would guess. Their differences are interesting though. The process killing feature of Process Hacker is much more advanced than the already powerful one from Process Explorer. That difference alone makes it worthwhile for me to use both.

Both are free, can be used as portable application and allow you to hook them in, so they can take over as default Windows task manager. Real gems of (Windows) software.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:41 AM »
 :-\
I am sure you are right but ......

I was trying at the present moment two apps :

Task Manager Deluxe

DTask Manager (by Dimio)

and I have installed as portables from time ago the superbs

Process Explorer
and
Process Hacker

What's my problem then ?
Obviously I am doing something bad.

In most of these programs i receive direct information about cpu usage and ram usage with % indications.

When open a virtualbox virtual machine received about 69.000 kb of ram memory consumed. I supposed there are more processes associated.

But I sum the ram processes values and is not the same of the % indicated by the apps. So i have a mess and i would like to assure the values in porcentage are equal everywhere.

During a past virus attack kidnapping the browser i experimented considerable variations in the ram without repercussion in the opened programs.
The programs opened was not possible to occupy almost 4 GB i have in this pc.

So I doubt of this tools and its indications and would like to assure they give me the correct information even when a rootkit or similar is in the pc.

How can I do this with Process Explorer ?

Best Regards

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:46 AM »
There is not contradiction or controlversial between these applications.
The percentage of cpu usage of ram memory is the same i obtain with the getwidget of windows 7

so possibly i don't know SUM or some amounts are hidden ..... :-[

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 01:19 PM »
Acer - 02_08_2014 , 16_20_37.png

According to TMD you have a 26GB pagefile ... is this correct or just the weird way it reports it?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 01:21 PM »
The Sysinternal Suite also comes with a tool that will show you if your computer has a rootkit or not.

After only a quick glance over the screenshots I didn't see too much problematic things. However, there are 82 processes running on your system. That might be a bit on the high side. This could also mean that you are running out DHEAP memory. Although Windows 7 and up handle this much better than earlier Windows versions, you can still run out of it and in that case it really doesn't matter how much free RAM is still available in your PC. Running out of DHEAP will make your system become (extremely) slow and applications/services won't be able to start anymore. Behavior that is usually associated with PC virus/malware.

There is also the possibility that you ran out of threads. Processors come in various shapes and sizes. Each with their own, finite amount of threads they can handle. Each process uses a certain amount of threads, depending on its function or what it is currently doing. Running out of threads will make your applications/services slow and you won't be able to start more of them no matter how much free RAM your system still has left. Behavior that is usually associated with PC virus/malware.

In both cases, the best solution is to identify which of the 82 processes running on your computer is from a 3rd party (easily seen in Process Explorer). Then identify which of the 3rd party processes are essential to you and and terminate the rest. Then your computer should be much more responsive and allow you to disable autostarting crap (SysInternals Suite tool: AutoRuns).

Get familiar with the tools in the SysInternals Suite, there are a lot of them and are very, very helpful. The archive is just a 13MByte download and is provided at no cost, so there isn't much to lose.

[rant]
Keep your PC lean and mean by starting applications/services only when you need them and terminate these when you are finished with them. Lots of software claims it to be essential that it is started the moment Windows starts. Besides security software (anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall) there isn't much software that really needs to autostart with Windows or kept resident after you are finished with it.

This will free up a lot of the limited resources at your computer's disposal and make your computer behave better in general. If you would be a doctor, your computer the patient and it's resources the amount of health it has...would you really think that leeches are still a good treatment? In my (not even close to humble) opinion, it isn't.
[/rant]

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Another link explaining more about memory management in Windows.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 12:03 PM »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 12:35 PM »
and we have another long shot............

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Giveaway of the Day - Wise Care 365 Pro 3.18

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 03:44 AM »
However, there are 82 processes running on your system. That might be a bit on the high side.

Oh dear, I have 260. :-[
I would have to run very lean and mean to get down to 80.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09 PM »
260!?!?!?

What is practically always open all the time on my test pc: besides all the processes that are required by Win2012 R2, a test Oracle DB server, at least one instance of software to control any of the available DB servers, anti-virus, anti-malware, Firefox with lots of tabs open, at least 1 mail client (don't ask) with one or more message windows open, text editors, directory opus, process explorer, at least one irfanview instance, at least 4 word, excel and PDF documents and at least one of the applications  of the application suite I work with including at least one of the services it provides handling at least 4 time-/event-based processes + SOAP communication.

RAM use lies around 6,5GByte at all times (of 8GByte) and all of the above doesn't make a dent in the "zippy-ness" of this PC.

Anyways, I barely hit 80 processes (according to process explorer). With that in mind, please excuse my bewilderment about 260 active processes for a standard Windows PC (I ain't talking about proper server PC's, these can and do more than that). WTF ?!? (but in a positive way  :) )

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 07:41 AM »
(see attachment in previous post)
According to TMD you have a 26GB pagefile ... is this correct or just the weird way it reports it?

Yes it's true 4wd . I don't remember now if I read sometime this value must be under twice the ram memory.
At the present moment I have applied so many security apps that the portatil goes very fast.
 :-[

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 07:49 AM »
The Sysinternal Suite also comes with a tool that will show you if your computer has a rootkit or not.

After only a quick glance over the screenshots I didn't see too much problematic things. However, there are 82 processes running on your system. That might be a bit on the high side. This could also mean that you are running out DHEAP memory. Although Windows 7 and up handle this much better than earlier Windows versions, you can still run out of it and in that case it really doesn't matter how much free RAM is still available in your PC. Running out of DHEAP will make your system become (extremely) slow and applications/services won't be able to start anymore. Behavior that is usually associated with PC virus/malware.

There is also the possibility that you ran out of threads. Processors come in various shapes and sizes. Each with their own, finite amount of threads they can handle. Each process uses a certain amount of threads, depending on its function or what it is currently doing. Running out of threads will make your applications/services slow and you won't be able to start more of them no matter how much free RAM your system still has left. Behavior that is usually associated with PC virus/malware.

In both cases, the best solution is to identify which of the 82 processes running on your computer is from a 3rd party (easily seen in Process Explorer). Then identify which of the 3rd party processes are essential to you and and terminate the rest. Then your computer should be much more responsive and allow you to disable autostarting crap (SysInternals Suite tool: AutoRuns).

Get familiar with the tools in the SysInternals Suite, there are a lot of them and are very, very helpful. The archive is just a 13MByte download and is provided at no cost, so there isn't much to lose.

[rant]
Keep your PC lean and mean by starting applications/services only when you need them and terminate these when you are finished with them. Lots of software claims it to be essential that it is started the moment Windows starts. Besides security software (anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall) there isn't much software that really needs to autostart with Windows or kept resident after you are finished with it.

This will free up a lot of the limited resources at your computer's disposal and make your computer behave better in general. If you would be a doctor, your computer the patient and it's resources the amount of health it has...would you really think that leeches are still a good treatment? In my (not even close to humble) opinion, it isn't.
[/rant]

I have read twice at least your answer.
Obviously i am that type of user that have too many opened proccesses.
I have not discovered - yet - how can I sum the ram values obtained with process explorer.
Systernals tools are splendid for professionals. I have downloaded in the past and apply in my possibilities.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 08:12 AM »
Blades. I am still reading the interesting articles about memory.
As usual - and not professional - tries to find the perfect and inexistent tool for improve memory management. A tool to "say to me" if 82 running processes are up my pc possibilities with detail.
Approximately the 15% of my time is dedicated to PC. 5% to problems , 10% to solve external problems with informatic tools.

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Contro,

This would be a good day for new start.
http://www.revounins...r_free_download.html
That's one of Woody's favorites and one of mine. Load it up. open it up, scan what's available to UNINSTALL and set Revo free to do it's thing!
Every time I open Revo I ask "what is that?". I don't remember installing that?? hmm?
Use the Rain Forest treatment........... slash and burn!
I'll bet 50% of what's listed in Revo could be uninstalled and you'd never miss it.
and your computer will love you for it?
and it might help with your current problems. :huh:
 :Thmbsup:

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 05:06 PM »
260!?!?!?

What is practically always open all the time on my test pc: besides all the processes that are required by Win2012 R2, a test Oracle DB server, at least one instance of software to control any of the available DB servers, anti-virus, anti-malware, Firefox with lots of tabs open, at least 1 mail client (don't ask) with one or more message windows open, text editors, directory opus, process explorer, at least one irfanview instance, at least 4 word, excel and PDF documents and at least one of the applications  of the application suite I work with including at least one of the services it provides handling at least 4 time-/event-based processes + SOAP communication.

RAM use lies around 6,5GByte at all times (of 8GByte) and all of the above doesn't make a dent in the "zippy-ness" of this PC.

Anyways, I barely hit 80 processes (according to process explorer). With that in mind, please excuse my bewilderment about 260 active processes for a standard Windows PC (I ain't talking about proper server PC's, these can and do more than that). WTF ?!? (but in a positive way  :) )

So in the desktop pc with 16 GB RAM i can have more processes opened ?

Right ?
 :-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Take a long shot......

http://www.thewindow...hunter-free-download

;D

After the splendid links from Shades examin this link seems to me the return of my dummy era where i belong. Of course i am downloading HijackHunter, but a little of knowdlege is even necessary for applying some programs correctly....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 05:27 PM »
Contro,

This would be a good day for new start.
http://www.revounins...r_free_download.html
That's one of Woody's favorites and one of mine. Load it up. open it up, scan what's available to UNINSTALL and set Revo free to do it's thing!
Every time I open Revo I ask "what is that?". I don't remember installing that?? hmm?
Use the Rain Forest treatment........... slash and burn!
I'll bet 50% of what's listed in Revo could be uninstalled and you'd never miss it.
and your computer will love you for it?
and it might help with your current problems. :huh:
 :Thmbsup:

Jeje. I know the free version and apply several years ago.
I am a little expert modifying the registry after all these years.
I recently uninstall a program invisible for Revo Uninstaller free with this other tool :

Iobit Uninstaller

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 05:37 PM »
and we have another long shot............

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Giveaway of the Day - Wise Care 365 Pro 3.18

Has changed now to another interesting program. Beautiful page indeed.

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 05:45 PM »
I really try not install anything but is impossible for me to resist .

An example between thousands :

Ice Tea Replacer for replacing in multiple office files

P.D. In my experience with 4-8 GB is more than enough if you don't use VM

But for me the ideal amount of ram is more or less 196 GB. I hope someone make a motherboard for this.......

:P
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 05:52 PM by Contro »

Cuffy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Ahh, the facts surface............
You are a SOFTWARE junkie!
There are two possibilities that may save you! Not from your addiction....... there's no known recovery from that but you might be able to save your computer.
http://technet.micro...m/en-us/sysinternals

Get sysinternals "Autoruns", fire it up, and go down the list item by item and remove the check mark in the left column for any app that is not "Essential". In most cases that means anything "you" have installed... the freeware you couldn't resist. With Autoruns you can go back and re-check any items you  feel you must have but start with the shortest list of items and reboot.
If there's no improvement with a minimum number of programs running I'm thinking you have a hardware problem.
If you get the space someday, and that download itch becomes unbearable, Google wscc and load all those utilities for your toolbox. wscc is one of the first apps that I install on a new machine........
and the download scratches the freeware itch for awhile.  :D

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 07:21 PM »
 ;D

I am using Startup Delayer some years ago....

Who wants to be saved ? Test software is a fine pleasure. :-*

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 07:25 PM »
It's my duty to put the links of the splendid Cuffy about

WSCC

and includes links to systernals and nirsoft . Two main utilities suites i have heard from some years ago and learning about its possibilities.....

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 02:30 PM »
I up the post because i continue with the problem. I don't take the screenshot i desire with the 77% of ram memory amount with less processes than the two screenshots showed. I am in despair ?.
How can I sum the real ram memory amount ?

Best Regards