ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Real RAM amount consumed

<< < (3/5) > >>

Dormouse:
However, there are 82 processes running on your system. That might be a bit on the high side.
-Shades (August 02, 2014, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh dear, I have 260. :-[
I would have to run very lean and mean to get down to 80.

Shades:
260!?!?!?

What is practically always open all the time on my test pc: besides all the processes that are required by Win2012 R2, a test Oracle DB server, at least one instance of software to control any of the available DB servers, anti-virus, anti-malware, Firefox with lots of tabs open, at least 1 mail client (don't ask) with one or more message windows open, text editors, directory opus, process explorer, at least one irfanview instance, at least 4 word, excel and PDF documents and at least one of the applications  of the application suite I work with including at least one of the services it provides handling at least 4 time-/event-based processes + SOAP communication.

RAM use lies around 6,5GByte at all times (of 8GByte) and all of the above doesn't make a dent in the "zippy-ness" of this PC.

Anyways, I barely hit 80 processes (according to process explorer). With that in mind, please excuse my bewilderment about 260 active processes for a standard Windows PC (I ain't talking about proper server PC's, these can and do more than that). WTF ?!? (but in a positive way  :) )

Contro:
(see attachment in previous post)
According to TMD you have a 26GB pagefile ... is this correct or just the weird way it reports it?
-4wd (August 02, 2014, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes it's true 4wd . I don't remember now if I read sometime this value must be under twice the ram memory.
At the present moment I have applied so many security apps that the portatil goes very fast.
 :-[

Contro:
The Sysinternal Suite also comes with a tool that will show you if your computer has a rootkit or not.

After only a quick glance over the screenshots I didn't see too much problematic things. However, there are 82 processes running on your system. That might be a bit on the high side. This could also mean that you are running out DHEAP memory. Although Windows 7 and up handle this much better than earlier Windows versions, you can still run out of it and in that case it really doesn't matter how much free RAM is still available in your PC. Running out of DHEAP will make your system become (extremely) slow and applications/services won't be able to start anymore. Behavior that is usually associated with PC virus/malware.

There is also the possibility that you ran out of threads. Processors come in various shapes and sizes. Each with their own, finite amount of threads they can handle. Each process uses a certain amount of threads, depending on its function or what it is currently doing. Running out of threads will make your applications/services slow and you won't be able to start more of them no matter how much free RAM your system still has left. Behavior that is usually associated with PC virus/malware.

In both cases, the best solution is to identify which of the 82 processes running on your computer is from a 3rd party (easily seen in Process Explorer). Then identify which of the 3rd party processes are essential to you and and terminate the rest. Then your computer should be much more responsive and allow you to disable autostarting crap (SysInternals Suite tool: AutoRuns).

Get familiar with the tools in the SysInternals Suite, there are a lot of them and are very, very helpful. The archive is just a 13MByte download and is provided at no cost, so there isn't much to lose.

[rant]
Keep your PC lean and mean by starting applications/services only when you need them and terminate these when you are finished with them. Lots of software claims it to be essential that it is started the moment Windows starts. Besides security software (anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall) there isn't much software that really needs to autostart with Windows or kept resident after you are finished with it.

This will free up a lot of the limited resources at your computer's disposal and make your computer behave better in general. If you would be a doctor, your computer the patient and it's resources the amount of health it has...would you really think that leeches are still a good treatment? In my (not even close to humble) opinion, it isn't.
[/rant]

-Shades (August 02, 2014, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have read twice at least your answer.
Obviously i am that type of user that have too many opened proccesses.
I have not discovered - yet - how can I sum the ram values obtained with process explorer.
Systernals tools are splendid for professionals. I have downloaded in the past and apply in my possibilities.

Contro:
Blades. I am still reading the interesting articles about memory.
As usual - and not professional - tries to find the perfect and inexistent tool for improve memory management. A tool to "say to me" if 82 running processes are up my pc possibilities with detail.
Approximately the 15% of my time is dedicated to PC. 5% to problems , 10% to solve external problems with informatic tools.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version