ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Celluloid vs digital: what are the REAL differences?

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
In other words if Q.T. has to switch to digital will his standard bag of tricks no longer work without laboriously relearning how to get the effects?  I'm just speculating.
-MilesAhead (July 31, 2014, 01:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's that too. Certain effects and looks are easier (or possible) to achieve with silver vs digital - and vice versa.

I'd guess it's somewhat similar to coding. Experienced professionals have their bag of tricks they're loathe to abandon when shifting from one type of media to another.

tomos:
I guess what I'm a little sensitive about is this attitude that technology is "bad" because it has made things easier.  And every time I look into the issue, it's not the technology that's the problem, but the way it's being used.  And really, ultimately, i don't really care.  So what if hundreds of people are making bad movies.  I don't care.  I will find the good one, whether I'm in 1950 or 2014.
-superboyac (July 31, 2014, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

^ this sounds good to me :)

tomos:
With photography you hear about certain film 'types' where digital attempts to reproduce the celluloid version. The colouring of an image can vary a lot between cameras. Every camera has it's weakness's and strengths. I think digital in general does have weakness's too (especially with reds) - I have no idea if film was better that way or not.

Cuffy:
You can ask the same question:

cylinder vs 78rpm vs 45rpm vs LP vs CD
or
vacuum tube vs transistor
or
landline vs cellphone

Perception knows............ like The Shadow knows................. ahh, yes

superboyac:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/05/martin-scorsese-save-film-cinema/#continued
Here's another article.  This time, Scorsese is also talking about the importance of film.

Once again, however, the issue is less about the technical characteristics of the medium, and more about the process.  That is, it sounds like the celluloid process naturally will result in films that look different than digital.  But it's not that digital CAN'T do that, it just doesn't do it naturally.  You probably have to do it with the end goal of making it look like celluloid.

I agree with the historical value of celluloid.  It should be preserved and encouraged as an art form.  But it shouldn't be used as a criticism against digital.  I really dislike that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version