ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Seagate starts shipping 8TB hard drives, with 10TB and HAMR on the horizon

<< < (3/3)

Edvard:
ok it's true.  Although they're getting so big now, I'm running out of ways to fill them up.
-superboyac (July 28, 2014, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been thinking about this for a while as well.  I really can't imagine buying a disk that I know I will never use all of.  "Just in case" isn't the greatest argument in the world, and I'll probably troll around eBay and back-stock resellers for lower-capacity hard drives for a while to come.  Might there be a market for lower-cost/smaller-capacity drives (like 1-2 TB after 10 TB drives are the norm) from people who just don't use that much?  

OR...

As I posted about here, your unused space would be perfect for helping maintain a decentralized internet.  Now that I would buy a new drive for...  :Thmbsup:

Innuendo:
Some random thoughts:

Yes, for any drive over 2TB you are going to need a 64-bit OS with support for GPT in both the OS and the motherboard. UEFI is not a hard requirement, though. My Gigabyte motherboard shoe-horned GPT support for drives over 2TB into its Award BIOS. I'm running two 3TB drives along with an 128GB SSD happily.

With Seagate's latest marketing they've taken a really scummy turn in the way they are representing their products. It'll be a long time before I buy one of their products again.

Sadly, other than Toshiba (whose drives have major QC issues), the only other hard drive manufacturers are Seagate and Western Digital. Every other company has been swallowed up by those two.

As for Drobo, when last I checked into them, they were the Apple of the NAS world. You'll get a nice streamlined interface with only the basic options while being afforded the privilege of paying a premium for it.

Renegade:
10 TB drives would be very sweet for my NAS, but I don't think my hardware/OS will support it. Officially, 2 TB is supported IIRC. (FreeNAS)

But it would give me soooooooooooo much space... I'm actually starting to run out, and will need to delete some stuff. The question now is can I hold off long enough? :)

Gear lust is in overdrive now! 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version